    Preferably a host that backs up the database and allows it to be
    downloaded and allows restriction on write access to the wiki.

    Thanks
    darkknight, Aug 3, 2008

  2. darkknight

    Guest

    On Aug 4, 12:03 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    > darkknight wrote:
    > > Anyone know any good free wiki host and or good forum host -
    > > preferably (but not essentially) one without adds.

    > > Preferably a host that backs up the database and allows it to be
    > > downloaded and allows restriction on write access to the wiki.

    > > Thanks

    > Why would you expect "free" with no income for the provider?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    Because wikipedia indicates there are tons of free ones.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_farm

    How should I know why they're free.

    dk
    , Aug 4, 2008

  3. darkknight

    Guest

    On Aug 4, 6:52 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >> Why would you expect "free" with no income for the provider?

    > >> regards

    > >> thing

    > > Because wikipedia indicates there are tons of free ones.
    > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_farm

    > This link does not indicate free ones...
    >
    > > How should I know why they're free.

    > > dk

    > Free as in download, yes I can easily setup a wiki / twiki....but it
    > costs time and hardware to do so....backups cost in tapes and/or disk...

    mmm, nope, not "free as in download"; free as in free hosting.
    , Aug 4, 2008
  4. darkknight

    Enkidu Guest

    wrote:

    > mmm, nope, not "free as in download"; free as in free hosting.

    They are used by SPAMmers to collect addresses, that's why they are free.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 4, 2008
  5. darkknight

    Ross Guest

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 23:53:06 +1200, darkknight
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone know any good free wiki host and or good forum host -
    >preferably (but not essentially) one without adds.
    >
    >Preferably a host that backs up the database and allows it to be
    >downloaded and allows restriction on write access to the wiki.
    >
    >Thanks

    Try www.wikimatrix.org/wizard.php
    to compare them.

    I chose Netcipia.

    Netcipia provides, for free, private and public wikis with blog space.
    Each "netcipia place" can be created and used on an unlimited time,
    with unlimited users and unlimited pages, with an unlimited free
    storage per wiki created. And it is possible to create as many places
    (wiki+blog) you want and invite as many people you want.

    Netcipia offers all the necessary features to manage your projects or
    publish your collaborative websites: full wysiwyg support, widget and
    gadget enabled, tags and tag clouds, spaces, right management, site
    maps, space reorganization (drag and drop of pages within the
    sitemap), full text search, search engine optimization (SEO),
    comments, file attachments, history, e-mail notifications, RSS feeds,
    development of macros, panels, logos, import/export, PDF.

    It is possible to embed in the pages any media from social websites
    like youtube, flickr, dailymotion, slideshare, etc.
    Ross, Aug 4, 2008