    Sufficient protection in your opinion? If no, why?

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Mar 27, 2008

  2. Steve Freides wrote:

    > AVG 7.5 Free edition
    > Spybot S&D (latest version)
    > SpywareBlaster (latest version)
    > Sufficient protection in your opinion? If no, why?

    Router/firewall?

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2008

  3. Steve Freides

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > AVG 7.5 Free edition
    >
    > Spybot S&D (latest version)
    >
    > SpywareBlaster (latest version)
    >
    > Sufficient protection in your opinion?

    All good, you didn't mention your connectivity and firewall so unable to
    say if the above is sufficient.

    > If no, why?

    Personally I'd fork out for the AVG Internet Security suite. Good value
    and covers AV, Spam, Trojans and firewall to mention just three of its
    features.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 27, 2008
  4. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >
    >> AVG 7.5 Free edition
    >> Spybot S&D (latest version)
    >> SpywareBlaster (latest version)
    >> Sufficient protection in your opinion? If no, why?

    > Router/firewall?
    >
    > http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    Behind a router, Verizon FIOS, some sort of firewall built into that, I
    think, but I have to confess that, even when I had a public IP (which I
    did until a few weeks ago), I never used a firewall and felt that they
    were more trouble than they were worth to me. Never had any problems
    relating to my lack of a firewall, either.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Mar 27, 2008
  5. Steve Freides

    TJ Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote in news:651uojF2dcemmU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    >> Steve Freides wrote:
    >>
    >>> AVG 7.5 Free edition
    >>> Spybot S&D (latest version)
    >>> SpywareBlaster (latest version)
    >>> Sufficient protection in your opinion? If no, why?

    >> Router/firewall?
    >>
    >> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    > Behind a router, Verizon FIOS, some sort of firewall built into that, I
    > think, but I have to confess that, even when I had a public IP (which I
    > did until a few weeks ago), I never used a firewall and felt that they
    > were more trouble than they were worth to me. Never had any problems
    > relating to my lack of a firewall, either.

    The version of OE you used to post this (your X-Newsreader header)
    indicates Windows XP is your OS.

    As long as you're behind a router and have XP's built-in firewall turned
    on, and practice "Safe Hex", you shoud be fine with your current
    protection.

    I use Avast! as opposed to AVG. and "Super-Antispyware" in addition to
    Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster, (Ditched Ad-Aware after the last program
    update) but other than that, we're the same.

    No problem for lack of a "better" firewall for years here, either.

    TJ, Mar 27, 2008
  6. Steve Freides wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Steve Freides wrote:
    >>> AVG 7.5 Free edition
    >>> Spybot S&D (latest version)
    >>> SpywareBlaster (latest version)
    >>> Sufficient protection in your opinion? If no, why?

    >> Router/firewall?
    >>
    >> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    > Behind a router, Verizon FIOS, some sort of firewall built into that,

    The router is a great start.

    > I think, but I have to confess that, even when I had a public IP
    > (which I did until a few weeks ago),

    You still have a public IP. <g> It doesn't show up in your posting
    headers, but that is due to your news service and does not mean it is
    not public.

    > I never used a firewall and felt that they were more trouble than they
    > were worth to me. Never had any problems relating to my lack of a
    > firewall, either.

    Windows users should have some kind of firewall protection. Remember,
    there are bots out there scanning consecutive IP address numbers looking
    for replies...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2008
  7. Steve Freides

    TJ Guest

    > Steve Freides wrote:

    >>> Router/firewall?
    >>>
    >>> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    >> Behind a router, Verizon FIOS, some sort of firewall built into that,

    > The router is a great start.
    >
    >> I think, but I have to confess that, even when I had a public IP
    >> (which I did until a few weeks ago),

    > You still have a public IP. <g> It doesn't show up in your posting
    > headers, but that is due to your news service and does not mean it is
    > not public.

    My IP shows up in my posting headers. Has for years. So what?

    >> I never used a firewall and felt that they were more trouble than
    >> they were worth to me. Never had any problems relating to my lack of
    >> a firewall, either.

    > Windows users should have some kind of firewall protection. Remember,
    > there are bots out there scanning consecutive IP address numbers
    > looking for replies...

    Replies to what? Pings? Who cares? You can knock all ya want, but you
    can't come in. :)

    What's knowing my IP gonna gain anybody other than knowing my
    approximate geographical location which isn't a secret?

    Unless they wanna hit my IP with a DOS attack or something, in which
    case I'm pretty sure Comcast would step in and throttle that right
    quick.

    I never "got" why people are concerned about their IP's being included
    in the headers. I mean, unless you're doing something you're ashamed
    of, who cares?

    TJ, Mar 27, 2008
  8. Steve Freides wrote:

    > AVG 7.5 Free edition
    >
    > Spybot S&D (latest version)
    >
    > SpywareBlaster (latest version)
    >
    > Sufficient protection in your opinion? If no, why?

    From the followups I read you have a (NAT) router as well, so
    - for safety let the XP firewall on - you will be fine as long as you do not
    hunt for troubles (warez, p0rn sites, "hacker" tools and so on).
    Even better if you use a non-admin login for day-to-day use, in particular
    for surfing and reading mails.
    You should have windows update, and keep all programs that use net access
    current with security fixes.
    Do not disable teatimer, it is a good tool to block malware from entering.
    But remember, there are always pieces of malware newer than your shields or
    scanners.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 27, 2008
  9. Steve Freides

    Lookout Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:36:51 -0500, Hp <> wrote:

    >Steve Freides wrote:
    >
    >> AVG 7.5 Free edition

    >> Spybot S&D (latest version)

    >> SpywareBlaster (latest version)

    >> Sufficient protection in your opinion? If no, why?

    >> Thanks in advance.

    >> -S-

    >all are reasonable choices, BUT BUT BUT
    >
    >Watch out for the Spybot hijack!!
    >
    >There is a site that tries to get you to visit them
    >for Spybot search and destroy,
    >its a paid service NOT THE FREE ONE THAT IS GOOD!
    >
    >AND I would suggest a firewall, Zonealarm is good,
    >I also would suggest NO to the windoze XP or Vista firewall.
    >ONLY one firewall program at a time.
    >Microsoft has already proved that they have a backdoor thru their
    >firewall software that they can access your PC remotely when they
    >wish to.

    Site?

    Lookout, Mar 27, 2008
  10. Steve Freides