    mcafee, but if there is free product that prevents infection (including
    spyware & spam) AS EFFECTIVELY i will switch.

    thanks!

    Chaz B, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Chaz B

    Leythos Guest

    In article <9Lgnh.294002$FQ1.203353@attbi_s71>,
    says...
    > is the free virus protection provided by mediacom for its cable internet
    > customers, or any other free products enough protection? i have always used
    > mcafee, but if there is free product that prevents infection (including
    > spyware & spam) AS EFFECTIVELY i will switch.

    When it comes to knowing what vendors product to trust, I find that this
    groups has about the most accurate analysis:

    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Jan 5, 2007

  3. Chaz B

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-01-05, Chaz B <> wrote:
    > is the free virus protection provided by mediacom for its cable internet
    > customers, or any other free products enough protection? i have always used
    > mcafee, but if there is free product that prevents infection (including
    > spyware & spam) AS EFFECTIVELY i will switch.
    >
    > thanks!

    An ISP or email service provider might catch spam and/or email-carried
    malware quite well, but you would be well advised to protect a Windows
    system with your own local 'anti-virus', and 'adware' and 'spyware'
    detectors - email is not the only, or even the main, way of 'getting
    infected'. A 'firewall' is also strongly recommended. For personal use,
    'free' products can be perfectly adequate.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 5, 2007
  4. I also have mediacom and its anti virus sucks make sure you have your own

    Michael Branchfield, Jan 5, 2007
  5. Chaz B

    ellis_jay Guest

    Chaz B wrote:
    > is the free virus protection provided by mediacom for its cable
    > internet customers, or any other free products enough protection? i
    > have always used mcafee, but if there is free product that prevents
    > infection (including spyware & spam) AS EFFECTIVELY i will switch.
    >
    > thanks!

    I never heard of mediacom. I see no reason to use any protection from cable
    vendors. I feel protection should be left up to the user. Updates should
    be left to the user. There is more security and more control over it if you
    choose your vendor wisely. Cable companies do not specialize in security
    and more than likely, like my provider, use a third party vendor. In my
    case default security for my cable connection is McAfee. I consider McAfee
    a resource hog and do not want to use it.

    Not to knock McAfee, but I think that is a company, like so many others,
    that is best left to enterprises.

    Another point is you should be looking for software solutions that
    specialize in the field you need. The scope for all the things you need
    (security) is just too great for any one vendor-just too much is missed.

    (Your last sentence, after the comma, looks like a structured spam-skeleton
    with the subtle spam-meat wrapped around it. Right?)

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Jan 5, 2007