    I would be interested to know of other free utilities that member's of this
    NG find useful and 'must haves'.

    Cheers people.
    nobody760, Sep 26, 2003

  2. nobody760

    Big Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:57:43 +0100, "nobody760" <>
    wrote:

    >I have these on my machine
    >
    >Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    >HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003 AVG6
    >
    >All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.

    Some are no longer free and some are Crap, you do get what you pay for in the
    end.

    Big , Sep 26, 2003

  3. nobody760

    Keith Guest

    In article <bl0rgo$ila$>,
    says...
    > I have these on my machine
    >
    > Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    > HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003 AVG6
    >
    > All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.
    >
    > I would be interested to know of other free utilities that member's of this
    > NG find useful and 'must haves'.

    See

    http://quantum.fateback.com/freeware/

    run by a Kiwi out of Dunedin.

    BTW WinZip has never been free as far as I know.
    Keith, Sep 26, 2003
  4. nobody760

    PseUDO Guest

    "nobody760" <> wrote in message news:bl0rgo$ila$...
    > I have these on my machine
    >
    > Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    > HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003 AVG6
    >
    > All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.
    >
    > I would be interested to know of other free utilities that member's of this
    > NG find useful and 'must haves'.
    >
    > Cheers people.

    Here's some more all FREE :)

    Encounter 2003 (sound editor)
    http://www.waschbusch.com/software.asp

    Photo Plus 5.5 (Graphics editor)
    http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/ph/ph5/index.asp

    Google Toolbar (Pop-Up stopper)
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Open Office
    http://www.openoffice.org/

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Sep 26, 2003
  5. nobody760

    Wyn Guest

    nobody760 wrote:
    > I have these on my machine
    >
    > Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    > HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003
    > AVG6
    >
    > All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.
    >
    > I would be interested to know of other free utilities that member's
    > of this NG find useful and 'must haves'.
    >
    > Cheers people.

    DBXtract Extracts emails from OE
    Passkeeper Lists passwords in encrypted form
    FBBackup Self explanatory
    FontXplorer Prints out fonts with ASCII numbers, Removes unwanted
    fonts.
    OEQuotefix Improves OE formatting, esp when replying.
    Irfanview Slide viewer
    Wyn, Sep 26, 2003
  6. nobody760

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:09:58 +1200, Big wrote:

    >Some are no longer free and some are Crap, you do get what you pay for in the
    >end.

    Like Kerio?
    Invisible, Sep 26, 2003
  7. nobody760

    Invisible Guest

    wrote:

    >I have these on my machine
    >
    >Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    >HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003 AVG6
    >
    >All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.
    >
    >I would be interested to know of other free utilities that member's of this
    >NG find useful and 'must haves'.
    >
    >Cheers people.

    SpywareBlaster
    SpywareGuard
    PcInspector File Recovery
    Invisible, Sep 26, 2003
  8. nobody760

    Wyn Guest

    Big wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:57:43 +0100, "nobody760"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have these on my machine
    >>
    >> Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    >> HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003
    >> AVG6
    >>
    >> All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.

    > Some are no longer free and some are Crap, you do get what you pay
    > for in the end.

    He's back again. Must be a software salesman.
    Wyn, Sep 26, 2003
  9. nobody760

    -=rjh=- Guest

    nobody760 wrote:

    > I have these on my machine
    >
    > Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    > HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003 AVG6
    >
    > All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.
    >
    > I would be interested to know of other free utilities that member's of
    > this NG find useful and 'must haves'.

    WinZip isn't free AFAIK. Look for an old version of PowerArchiver (6.1 -
    look for powerarc61.exe) which really is free, and is excellent.

    cheers
    -=rjh=-, Sep 26, 2003
  10. nobody760

    bambam Guest

    "nobody760" <> wrote in

    > I have these on my machine
    >
    > Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools
    > Aida32 HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget
    > 2003 AVG6
    >
    > All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.
    >
    > I would be interested to know of other free utilities that
    > member's of this NG find useful and 'must haves'.

    The best ones are here, as voted by the participants of
    alt.comp.freeware-

    http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/about2003PL.htm

    --
    If Guys Ruled the World............
    Daisy Duke shorts would never go out of style again.
    bambam, Sep 26, 2003
  11. nobody760

    madknoxie Guest

    nobody760 wrote:
    > I have these on my machine
    >
    > Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    > HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003 AVG6
    >
    > All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.
    >
    > I would be interested to know of other free utilities that member's of this
    > NG find useful and 'must haves'.

    Well for the Mac I found Hydra which is quite a cool little text editor.
    Its killer feature is that you can share documents with other people
    over the internet and watch each other type in real-time. Don't expect
    to see it for the PC though, it relies heavily on Apple's Cocoa and
    Rendezvous technologies.

    Unfortunately, they had some legal hassles and had to change the name
    from Hydra to SubEthaEdit (some reference to HHGTTG or something) which
    in my opinion is the most aweful name they could have chosen. Still has
    the best icon I've seen for ages though.

    Check it out if you have a Mac, get jealous if you don't ;)
    http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/

    Go the Coding Monkeys!

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Sep 26, 2003
  12. nobody760

    GraB Guest

    Keep an eye on the computer mags. They often have full free
    programmes which are older than current version. I have Norton
    Utilities 2002 from from Oct 2002 APC mag.

    Add to that: DScaler, Firebird, ZoneAlarm, VirtualDub, TMPGEnc,
    MBM 5, PowerDesk, WinAmp, Gimp, CDex, MP3Gain, Calypso 3,
    MailWasher . . . and the list goes on and on.

    GraB, Sep 26, 2003
  13. nobody760

    John Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:57:43 +0100, "nobody760"
    <> wrote:

    InfranView images viewer

    VNC remote control tool
    John, Sep 26, 2003
  14. nobody760

    Kookaburra Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have these on my machine
    >
    >Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    >HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003 AVG6
    >
    >All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.
    >
    >I would be interested to know of other free utilities that member's of this
    >NG find useful and 'must haves'.
    >
    >Cheers people.

    First and foremost as a must have is a firewall in my opinion. There
    are several free ones still available. I'm using the free version of
    Outpost after using ZA for years. Sygate Personal Firewall is highly
    recommended too.

    I need an ftp client and FileZilla does the job. ( NOT to be confused
    with GoZilla spyware downloader)

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

    There's always plenty happening at http://sourceforge.net/

    List of Lists is another good place to go shopping when you're short
    of cash. :eek:)

    http://lists.gpick.com/

    Cheers, Kooky
    Kookaburra, Sep 26, 2003
  15. nobody760

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "nobody760" <> wrote in message
    > I have these on my machine
    >
    > Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    > HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003 AVG6
    >
    > All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.
    >
    > I would be interested to know of other free utilities that member's of

    this
    > NG find useful and 'must haves'.

    MotherBoard Monitor5. Calypso 3. Pop-Up Sopper Free Edition, SpamPal, DTemp,
    Freezip. Prime95, Memtest86, XPAnti-Spy.

    As well as the previosly mentioned AVG6, Aida32, AdAware, Spybot.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 26, 2003
  16. nobody760

    pbs Guest

    Invisible wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:57:43 +0100, "nobody760" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have these on my machine
    >>
    >>Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    >>HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003 AVG6
    >>

    > SpywareBlaster
    > SpywareGuard
    > PcInspector File Recovery

    filezilla: best ftp client, http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
    mozilla: better web brower, http://www.mozilla.org/
    openoffice: offic productivity suite, http://www.openoffice.org/
    cygwin: unix tools and X windows, http://www.cygwin.com/

    Woops my MS Windows is morfing into Linux ;-)
    pbs, Sep 26, 2003
  17. In article <>, GraB <> wrote:
    >Keep an eye on the computer mags. They often have full free
    >programmes which are older than current version. I have Norton

    Add from mag CD's, Lotus smart Suite. Omipage,Video editors,
    Many comapnies give away the old version when they
    release a new version
    Steve Robertson, Sep 27, 2003
  18. The local PC FleaMarkets sell Norton AV for $5-$10
    Almost free
    Steve Robertson, Sep 27, 2003
  19. nobody760

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:09:58 +1200, wrote:

    > Some are no longer free and some are Crap, you do get what you pay for in the
    > end.

    There are exceptions to every rule. In the software area the numbers are
    greater as copies are so darn cheap.

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.
    Gordon, Sep 27, 2003
  20. nobody760

    bt Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have these on my machine
    >
    >Ad-aware Spybot EndItAll JV16 Power tools Aida32
    >HiJackThis Mike Lin's StartUp WinZip Leechget 2003 AVG6
    >
    >All are free utilities and I find them very helpful.
    >
    >I would be interested to know of other free utilities that member's of this
    >NG find useful and 'must haves'.

    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Proximitron yet - only the best
    programmable filtering proxy around for windows, and free. Block all
    the shit from the web you can think of.

    I prefer antivir over AVG - less bullshit fluffy user interface. Just
    the facts, ma'am.

    Spyware search and destroy is also excellent - make sure you tell it
    to install the browser add ons that will block problem sites and warn
    of bad downloads.

    Barts PE Builder - essential if you are running NTFS.

    Turbo Navigator - fast and cool.

    WinRAR - the best archiving utility out there. Shareware though.

    Yankee Clipper - turn your clipboard into a mini database. Really
    useful - you can clip hundreds of things and sort it all out later.
    Clipmate is even better but shareware.

    PowerToys - specifically TweakUI. Free from Microsoft.

    Irfan View - picture viewer/converter. Small and fast.

    Kazaa Lite - p2p.

    K-lite codec pack - most of the essential video/audio codecs in one
    nice installer.

    Quicktime alternative - play quicktime movies without need of apples
    awkward codec.

    Real alternative - same thing but for REAL player files.

    Woger Block SPF 15+ - blocks posts from our own net kook regardless
    of his alias.

    Brendan (Avatar)

    --

    Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

    Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
    My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.
    bt, Sep 27, 2003