    SIPGate number. This would then enable family to call free or very
    cheaply nationally instead of internationally.
    *Very* new to this VOIP thing so any help/assistance appreciated. Thanks

    ©®, Feb 16, 2006

  2. ©®

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "©®" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > I have a free 01xxx SIPGate number and it is great!
    > Have family in USA and was wondering if I could get a
    > free geographical USA number and then "merge" it into my
    > XLite software where I use the SIPGate number. This would
    > then enable family to call free or very cheaply
    > nationally instead of internationally. *Very* new to this
    > VOIP thing so any help/assistance appreciated. Thanks

    www.ipkall.com

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 16, 2006

  3. ©®

    ©® Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > www.ipkall.com

    Thanks! I will check it out. Is there better software to use than XLite
    that you can recommend?
    Cheers

    ©®, Feb 16, 2006
  4. ©®

    ©® Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > www.ipkall.com

    Would my SIP phone number be the 7 digit one (it shows on the dial plate
    when XLite has loaded and says "Your number") I got when signin gup with
    SIPGate or would it be the actual geographical 01xxx-xxxxxx number
    assigned once I completed the SIPGate registration?
    I put my SIP Proxy as sipgate.co.uk - hope that is correct.
    Confused.

    ©®, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Thus spaketh ©®:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> www.ipkall.com

    > Would my SIP phone number be the 7 digit one (it shows on the dial
    > plate when XLite has loaded and says "Your number") I got when signin
    > gup with SIPGate or would it be the actual geographical 01xxx-xxxxxx
    > number assigned once I completed the SIPGate registration?
    > I put my SIP Proxy as sipgate.co.uk - hope that is correct.
    > Confused.

    It will be the 7 digit one.

    sipgate.co.uk is correct.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 16, 2006
  6. ©®

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "©®" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > www.ipkall.com

    > Thanks! I will check it out. Is there better software to
    > use than XLite that you can recommend?
    > Cheers

    Why use software at all..? Get an ATA and plug an ordinary phone in.

    www.sipura.com
    www.avm.de/en

    as a start.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 16, 2006
  7. ©®

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "©®" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > www.ipkall.com

    > Would my SIP phone number be the 7 digit one (it shows on
    > the dial plate when XLite has loaded and says "Your
    > number") I got when signin gup with SIPGate or would it
    > be the actual geographical 01xxx-xxxxxx number assigned
    > once I completed the SIPGate registration? I put my SIP Proxy as
    > sipgate.co.uk - hope that is
    > correct. Confused.

    Use the 7 digit SIP ID, not the full geographic number. For example the
    number I use is 0121-314 xxxx, the SIP ID is 314xxxx so you enter that.

    Proxy is correct.

    Note that it can take up to an hour after you set up an ipkall number
    before it starts working.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 16, 2006
  8. ©®

    ©® Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > Use the 7 digit SIP ID, not the full geographic number. For example
    > the number I use is 0121-314 xxxx, the SIP ID is 314xxxx so you enter
    > that.

    Mine is 01582-80xxxx yet my 7 digit number is 648xxxx
    Not related at all.
    Mate signed up just yesterday and his are "co-ordinated".
    ???

    ©®, Feb 17, 2006
  9. ©®

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "©®" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > Use the 7 digit SIP ID, not the full geographic number.
    > > For example the number I use is 0121-314 xxxx, the SIP
    > > ID is 314xxxx so you enter that.

    > Mine is 01582-80xxxx yet my 7 digit number is 648xxxx
    > Not related at all.
    > Mate signed up just yesterday and his are "co-ordinated".
    > ???

    Hmm, ok, well in my experience they usually are, but I suppose due to
    numbering ranges on some BT exchanges they might not be. Anyway, use the 7
    digit SIP ID, 648xxxx in your case.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 17, 2006
  10. ©®

    Alex Guest

    "©®" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Use the 7 digit SIP ID, not the full geographic number. For example
    >> the number I use is 0121-314 xxxx, the SIP ID is 314xxxx so you enter
    >> that.

    > Mine is 01582-80xxxx yet my 7 digit number is 648xxxx
    > Not related at all.
    > Mate signed up just yesterday and his are "co-ordinated".
    > ???

    I have two sipgate accounts, and neither of my PSTN numbers corresponds to
    my SIP number. One of my PSTN numbers starts 888xxx (after the area code,
    obviously), and the sip number for that account starts 662xxxx, whilst the
    other starts 998xxx and the sip number is 972xxxx. It took me a while to
    work out what Ivor was on about, until I realised his assumptions were wrong
    about having the same SIP/PSTN numbers (or parts of).
    At a guess I'd say you get the same numbers if their avaliable, however if
    someones already had your local PSTN number on a different exchange as their
    SIP number you could get allocated a random one...

    Alex

    Alex, Feb 17, 2006
  11. ©®

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Alex" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I have two sipgate accounts, and neither of my PSTN
    > numbers corresponds to my SIP number. One of my PSTN
    > numbers starts 888xxx (after the area code, obviously),
    > and the sip number for that account starts 662xxxx,
    > whilst the other starts 998xxx and the sip number is
    > 972xxxx. It took me a while to work out what Ivor was on
    > about, until I realised his assumptions were wrong about
    > having the same SIP/PSTN numbers (or parts of). At a guess I'd say you
    > get the same numbers if their
    > avaliable, however if someones already had your local
    > PSTN number on a different exchange as their SIP number
    > you could get allocated a random one...

    That's probably the case. All my numbers except one are relatively early
    ones, allocated when Sipgate first started in the UK over a year ago,
    although the one I set up a couple of months ago also corresponds, but it
    isn't an exchange code with an awful lot of users so there are probably
    lots of spare numbers.

    In any event, always use the 7 digit SIP ID when setting up an ipkall
    number.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 17, 2006
  12. ©®

    snabee

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Thanks for every detail here.

    One question though, I have hooked up my SIPGATE details with IPKall as follows:

    Sipgate ID: 590xxxx (Displayed in the SipGate X-Lite screen)
    Proxy: sipgate.co.uk

    However, the US number assigned to me by IPKall always returns busy tone.

    Can any of you guys help? Will be much appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Anshu

    xx

    snabee, Nov 22, 2008