FREE Update and security CD set from Microsoft

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Pepperoni, May 5, 2004.

  1. Pepperoni

    Pepperoni Guest

    Microsoft is offering a CD set of critical updates and security patches.
    This set includes all updates through Feb. 2004 (website says Oct '03)
    There is no charge either for the CDs or for postage.

    Order your set directly from Microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

    Included is a years free subscription for antivirus protection from Computer
    Associates, and a firewall protection package.

    This set will save you time if you ever need to reload your OS. This could
    mean HOURS saved if you are on a dialup connection. It only takes minutes
    to order. No credit card info or payment for postage is needed.

    Mine arrived today. Takes about 3 weeks

    There is no easier way to apply critical updates.

    Pepperoni

    Pepperoni, May 5, 2004

    --
    Laura Fredericks
    PGP key ID - DH/DSS 2048/1024: 0xC753039A

    http://www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet/

    Remove CLOTHES to reply.

    Laura Fredericks, May 5, 2004

  3. Pepperoni

    Stacey Guest

    Pepperoni wrote:

    > Microsoft is offering a CD set of critical updates and security patches.

    > There is no easier way to apply critical updates.

    No easier way for Bill to get your real home address in his database.

    The best way to avoid viruses is don't use windows....
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, May 5, 2004
  4. Pepperoni

    Jerry G. Guest

    The main problem is that once you get the CD disk, there are more updates
    and corrections to download anyways. This is an ongoing problem. Your disk
    will be good for about a few weeks from the time if its publication at the
    very best.

    One thing you did accomplish is that you gave MS your home address so that
    they can send you lots of advertising, if they want to.

    In Internet Explorer, select Tools, and Windows Update. I am sure that
    after a few weeks you will be finding lot of updates to do, disk or
    no-disk!

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., May 5, 2004
  5. Pepperoni

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in news:c7a310$67a$1
    @news.eusc.inter.net:

    > In Internet Explorer, select Tools, and Windows Update. I am sure that
    > after a few weeks you will be finding lot of updates to do, disk or
    > no-disk!

    It comes with 2000 SP4, which from MS is:
    Network Installation
    Size 129 megabytes (MB)
    Time 5 hours 20 minutes @ 56 Kbps

    DirectX 9.0B, which is a 35MB download

    Windows XP SP1, which is another 125 MB download

    All in all, it is 281 megs of SPs and updates. If you were only an XP
    user, you'd need ~160MB of those. I don't know about you, but when I go
    to a customer's house, I don't want to sit through downloading a 125MB
    service pack for XP through their 33.6kbps AOL connection. Even on my
    own system, I'd rather be able to install service packs and security
    fixes from CD than wait 15 or 20 minutes over my cable connection to
    download them all. As for MS having my home address, so what? Are you
    one of those people that runs around with tinfoil on your head so the
    government can't spy on your thoughts? Do you realistically think that
    MS is going to either waste their time spying on you to see if you are
    stealing their software or using competitors software or something? Or
    are you that concerned with them spending money to send you junk mail
    that you simply throw out or use for your cat's litter box?
    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 5, 2004
  6. Pepperoni

    Shane Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > "Jerry G." <> wrote in news:c7a310$67a$1
    > @news.eusc.inter.net:
    >
    > > In Internet Explorer, select Tools, and Windows Update. I am sure that
    > > after a few weeks you will be finding lot of updates to do, disk or
    > > no-disk!

    > It comes with 2000 SP4, which from MS is:
    > Network Installation
    > Size 129 megabytes (MB)
    > Time 5 hours 20 minutes @ 56 Kbps
    >
    > DirectX 9.0B, which is a 35MB download
    >
    > Windows XP SP1, which is another 125 MB download
    >
    > All in all, it is 281 megs of SPs and updates. If you were only an XP
    > user, you'd need ~160MB of those. I don't know about you, but when I go
    > to a customer's house, I don't want to sit through downloading a 125MB
    > service pack for XP through their 33.6kbps AOL connection. Even on my
    > own system, I'd rather be able to install service packs and security
    > fixes from CD than wait 15 or 20 minutes over my cable connection to
    > download them all.

    In the case of 9x it also installs the numerous other patches in seconds
    that otherwise take a long, long, boring time what with rebooting between
    each one.

    btw to avoid installing particular updates, copy the cd to the hd, comment
    out the relevent lines in the relevent infs then d-click autorun.exe. Or
    burn a new cd.

    Shane

    ---

    Shane, May 5, 2004
  7. Pepperoni

    CJM Guest

    "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    > No easier way for Bill to get your real home address in his database.

    And what is he going to do with it?

    Microsoft's record on spam is rather good. They dont trade in personal data,
    and they dont contact ordinary punters directly.

    CJM

    CJM, May 5, 2004
  8. Pepperoni

    kony Guest

    On Wed, 5 May 2004 09:00:55 +0100, "Shane" <>
    wrote:

    >In the case of 9x it also installs the numerous other patches in seconds
    >that otherwise take a long, long, boring time what with rebooting between
    >each one.

    You don't HAVE to reboot between each win9x patch, even if it prompts
    with "windows must restart blah blah blah". It's true that for overly
    cautious individuals it'd be a good idea to reboot between each in case
    any particular patch causes failure to boot (a few DID cause failure to
    even boot to safe mode, for example a 1394 patch conflict with systray.exe
    comes to mind) but then if you used the automated update CD to install
    several at once you'd still be in same situation as if simply installing
    several individual patches without reboot inbetween.

    On the other hand, it certainly is easier to use the update CD.

    kony, May 5, 2004
  9. Pepperoni

    Shane Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 5 May 2004 09:00:55 +0100, "Shane" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >In the case of 9x it also installs the numerous other patches in seconds
    > >that otherwise take a long, long, boring time what with rebooting between
    > >each one.
    > >

    > You don't HAVE to reboot between each win9x patch, even if it prompts
    > with "windows must restart blah blah blah". It's true that for overly
    > cautious individuals it'd be a good idea to reboot between each in case
    > any particular patch causes failure to boot (a few DID cause failure to
    > even boot to safe mode, for example a 1394 patch conflict with systray.exe
    > comes to mind) but then if you used the automated update CD to install
    > several at once you'd still be in same situation as if simply installing
    > several individual patches without reboot inbetween.
    >
    > On the other hand, it certainly is easier to use the update CD.

    The problem with not rebooting between updates is the potential for the
    wrong version of different versions of the same file being installed. Hence
    the QChain tool for NT (which isn't itself reliable prior to Win2k). The
    update cd essentially QChains the 9x patches.

    Shane

    ---

    Shane, May 5, 2004
  10. Pepperoni

    Wizard Guest

    Where have YOU been? This is old news. <yawn>

    Laura Fredericks, May 5, 2004
  12. Pepperoni

    Martin Guest

    Stacey wrote:
    > Pepperoni wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft is offering a CD set of critical updates and security
    >> patches.

    >> There is no easier way to apply critical updates.
    >>

    > No easier way for Bill to get your real home address in his database.
    >
    > The best way to avoid viruses is don't use windows....

    But Stacey, whenever I install another version of Mandrake, I always have to
    download several hundred Mbs of updates, bug fixes and security updates.

    The only reason that Windows suffers from virus attacks is that it is more
    popular, and the chances are that it is twats who use other OS' a bit too
    fervently who are writing them.

    If you leave a window open in your house and you get burgled, the burglar is
    the criminal, not you.

    Martin, May 5, 2004
  13. "Laura Fredericks" <> wrote in message news:eek:...

    > The CD was released by Microsoft almost three months ago.
    > http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/39298

    Would I still need to do this if I have been diligent in applying
    all of the patches that they sent me in e-mail? ;o)

    FromTheRafters, May 5, 2004
  14. "Stacey" <> wrote in message news:c79tap$1e66h$-berlin.de...
    > Pepperoni wrote:
    >
    > > Microsoft is offering a CD set of critical updates and security patches.

    > > There is no easier way to apply critical updates.
    > >

    > No easier way for Bill to get your real home address in his database.

    I guess I fooled them - I used a bogus address (Grand Central Station)
    and a false name (Ray L. Rhodes). Funny, it's been months and I still
    havent gotten the CD. :-\

    FromTheRafters, May 5, 2004
  15. Pepperoni

    Chuck Guest

    Chuck, May 5, 2004
  16. Pepperoni

    kony Guest

    On Wed, 5 May 2004 14:46:15 +0100, "Martin" <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >The only reason that Windows suffers from virus attacks is that it is more
    >popular, and the chances are that it is twats who use other OS' a bit too
    >fervently who are writing them.

    It's true that if Linux were MUCH more popular it'd be a more likely
    target, except that Microsoft's dealings in the industry may make it a
    natural target. However, "only reason" isn't true at all, Windows is
    inherantly insecure because it has everything-and-the-kitchen-sink bolted
    on and enabled by default. It can be made (0R used) in a much more secure
    manner but clearly by the spread of simple email attachments we can assume
    the general populace isn't following best practices. However, it was
    Microsoft that allowed attachments to be executed so easily in the first
    place... nobody REALLY needs the ability for their email client to launch
    an executable.

    kony, May 5, 2004
  17. Pepperoni

    Jason Wade Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:01:05 -0500, kony wrote:

    > On Wed, 5 May 2004 14:46:15 +0100, "Martin" <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>The only reason that Windows suffers from virus attacks is that it is more
    >>popular, and the chances are that it is twats who use other OS' a bit too
    >>fervently who are writing them.

    > It's true that if Linux were MUCH more popular it'd be a more likely
    > target, except that Microsoft's dealings in the industry may make it a
    > natural target. However, "only reason" isn't true at all, Windows is
    > inherantly insecure because it has everything-and-the-kitchen-sink bolted
    > on and enabled by default. It can be made (0R used) in a much more secure
    > manner but clearly by the spread of simple email attachments we can assume
    > the general populace isn't following best practices. However, it was
    > Microsoft that allowed attachments to be executed so easily in the first
    > place... nobody REALLY needs the ability for their email client to launch
    > an executable.

    Nobody but microsoft. By making windows executables so easy to
    use, and by encouraging people to use windows executables for
    everything from "joke" e-mails to font storage, microsoft binds
    windows users to the corporation. Only windows will execute
    windows binaries.

    That's why the insecurity problems with ms software will never
    be solved. The company's desire for industry domination will
    always override any security concerns.

    --
    +----------------> Jason Wade <----------------+
    | |

    Jason Wade, May 5, 2004
  18. Pepperoni

    Stacey Guest

    kony wrote:

    > However, it was
    > Microsoft that allowed attachments to be executed so easily in the first
    > place... nobody REALLY needs the ability for their email client to launch
    > an executable.

    Thank you. Also if you notice almost all the "security updates" on linux
    distros are for protection for HTTP servers etc, not desktop systems. Given
    the number of linux systems in use as severs, you'd think someone would
    write a self propagating virus if it could be done.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, May 6, 2004
  19. Pepperoni

    Stacey Guest

    CJM wrote:

    > "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    >> No easier way for Bill to get your real home address in his database.
    >>

    > And what is he going to do with it?

    I'm not going to find out...

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, May 6, 2004
  20. Pepperoni

    Stacey Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > Stacey wrote:
    >> Pepperoni wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft is offering a CD set of critical updates and security
    >>> patches.

    >>> There is no easier way to apply critical updates.
    >>>

    >> No easier way for Bill to get your real home address in his database.
    >>
    >> The best way to avoid viruses is don't use windows....

    > But Stacey, whenever I install another version of Mandrake, I always have
    > to download several hundred Mbs of updates, bug fixes and security
    > updates.

    So you're running open FTP severs etc? Most of those security updates are
    for people running web servers etc not desktops.

    > The only reason that Windows suffers from virus attacks is that it is more
    > popular,

    Actually it's because all you have to do is add .exe on the end of a file
    and windows runs it! And then -it- has access to any file on the system! If
    e-mail clients didn't run executable attachments 99% of viruses wouldn't
    work.

    > and the chances are that it is twats who use other OS' a bit too
    > fervently who are writing them.

    Yea blame it on the 3% that don't use windows...
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, May 6, 2004