    reply to your suggestions sent back with an error.

    Alex

    ---
    AK, Oct 22, 2003

  2. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:35:17 +0100, in
    <%Gzlb.524$>
    AK scrawled:

    >My thanks to Sherry and Mike.
    >I have Ad-Aware and use it all the time. I also use Ultra WinCleaner 2000
    >but when I use it, it stops Norton Utilities 2000 from working and I have to
    >re-install it each time I use WinCleaner. I am running Windows 98se and
    >thought it might not be compatible, but nothing seams to stop my computer
    >crashing. I also tried Spybot but it wont remove anything until I buy it

    You do NOT have to buy SpyBot. It is free. Make sure you have
    downloaded the correct program.

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    >first, unless I am doing something wrong, I have had a computer for years
    >but alas I know very little about them.
    >
    >PS. Mike I had to send this as a new post. For some reason I was getting my
    >reply to your suggestions sent back with an error.

    That sounds like you tried to reply via email, which is a no-no.
    For one, I munge my email address, and secondly, all replies
    should be kept in the group, so that others may benefit.

    You should highlight the message you wish to reply to and
    select 'Reply to Group'.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 22, 2003

  3. AK

    trout Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:35:17 +0100, in
    > <%Gzlb.524$>
    > AK scrawled:

    <snip>

    >> I also tried Spybot but it wont
    >> remove anything until I buy it

    > You do NOT have to buy SpyBot. It is free. Make sure you have
    > downloaded the correct program.
    >
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/

    This leads to one of my pet peaves. People that refer to the program
    as simply "Spybot", instead of Spybot S&D. Even on some websites (not
    mentioning any Brians).
    It makes it easier for the sound-alikes (and scumware imitators)to
    prosper.
    --
    "It's calling the cure by the name of the disease."
    trout, Oct 22, 2003
  4. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:34:55 -0700, in
    <bn6t67$tcph1$-berlin.de>
    trout scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:35:17 +0100, in
    >> <%Gzlb.524$>
    >> AK scrawled:

    ><snip>
    >
    >>> I also tried Spybot but it wont
    >>> remove anything until I buy it

    >> You do NOT have to buy SpyBot. It is free. Make sure you have
    >> downloaded the correct program.
    >>
    >> Spybot Search & Destroy
    >> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/

    > This leads to one of my pet peaves. People that refer to the program
    >as simply "Spybot", instead of Spybot S&D. Even on some websites (not
    >mentioning any Brians).
    > It makes it easier for the sound-alikes (and scumware imitators)to
    >prosper.

    I'm glad you brought that up. I've probably been guilty of
    that very thing.

    --
    "I will try to do better."
    °Mike°, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Mike:
    I think not showing your Email address is a great idea. If you have a minute
    could you please show me how it's done, and could someone tell me why am I
    seeing nearly all the posts in a unordinary gobble-gook way?

    Alex

    Alexander Kaye, Oct 23, 2003
  6. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    If you just want to prevent SPAM, then read:
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

    If you want to prevent your email address from being
    known altogether, make one up - but ONLY use .invalid
    as the top level domain, eg:
    lid

    Just change the address in Tools / Accounts / News / Properties

    For your second question, you'll have to be more specific.

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:26:13 +0100, in
    <KfTlb.947$>
    Alexander Kaye scrawled:

    >Mike:
    >I think not showing your Email address is a great idea. If you
    >have a minute could you please show me how it's done, and
    >could someone tell me why am I seeing nearly all the posts in
    >a unordinary gobble-gook way?
    >
    >Alex
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 23, 2003
  7. AK

    trout Guest

    Alexander Kaye wrote:

    > Mike:
    > I think not showing your Email address is a great idea. If you have a
    > minute could you please show me how it's done, and could someone tell
    > me why am I seeing nearly all the posts in a unordinary gobble-gook
    > way?
    >
    > Alex

    Look at your options under Tools > Options > Read. Check "Read all
    messages in plain text". Click the "Fonts" button, and check that you're
    using a standard font, and "Western European" encoding.
    --
    "Might be it."
    trout, Oct 23, 2003
  8. AK

    Alex Kaye Guest

    Thank you for your help in what must seem very trivial questions, but alas
    along with old age comes difficulty in learning new technology. This is the
    first news connection I have visited.

    Alex

    ---
    Alex Kaye, Oct 23, 2003