Free software tools

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by AK, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. AK

    AK Guest

    Can anyone help me? I'm looking for free software the will help me fix my
    computer and stop it crashing every few weeks, I am also getting dozens of
    unwanted Emails hourly as well. A big problem I have is, I'm over sixty, out
    of work, and don't have any spare cash to use on anything except the usual
    household bills. I tried down-loading some of the software I have been
    reading but once I download the software and it scans my computer it will
    not delete anything unless I buy the software first and I the fact is really
    can't afford to. I have AVG. virus checker and as far as I know it's working
    fine and I keep it up to date, but my computer still crashes and like so
    many of you I am bombarded with pop-ups constantly.

    Thanks for any help received.

    Alex

    ---

    AK, Oct 22, 2003

  2. AK

    Sherry Guest

    Try this: http://www.ada-ware.com/

    Sherry, Oct 22, 2003

  3. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    Anti-spyware:
    ---------------------
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

    ** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    Online Antitrojan scanner:
    ----------------------
    http://www.trojanscan.com/

    Firewall:
    ---------
    Outpost
    Outpost Firewall Guide
    http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm

    Sygate
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php

    Safe Hex
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Safe Computing Guide
    http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/safe_computing/

    Protect your PC
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/protect.asp

    Safe Computing Practice
    http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm

    Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
    http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:52:26 +0100, in
    <lHxlb.116$>
    AK scrawled:

    °Mike°, Oct 22, 2003
  4. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:55:59 GMT, in
    <jMxlb.1068$>
    Sherry scrawled:

    >"AK" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone help me? I'm looking for free software the will help me fix my
    >> computer and stop it crashing every few weeks, I am also getting dozens of
    >> unwanted Emails hourly as well. A big problem I have is, I'm over sixty,

    >out
    >> of work, and don't have any spare cash to use on anything except the usual
    >> household bills. I tried down-loading some of the software I have been
    >> reading but once I download the software and it scans my computer it will
    >> not delete anything unless I buy the software first and I the fact is

    >really
    >> can't afford to. I have AVG. virus checker and as far as I know it's

    >working
    >> fine and I keep it up to date, but my computer still crashes and like so
    >> many of you I am bombarded with pop-ups constantly.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help received.
    >>
    >> Alex
    >>

    >Try this: http://www.ada-ware.com/

    ada-ware.com ?? I think you mean Ad-Aware, which is
    to be found at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 22, 2003
  5. AK

    Sherry Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:55:59 GMT, in
    > <jMxlb.1068$>
    > Sherry scrawled:
    >

    > >"AK" <> wrote in message
    > >> Can anyone help me? I'm looking for free software the will help me fix

    my
    > >> computer and stop it crashing every few weeks, I am also getting dozens

    of
    > >> unwanted Emails hourly as well. A big problem I have is, I'm over

    sixty,
    > >out
    > >> of work, and don't have any spare cash to use on anything except the

    usual
    > >> household bills. I tried down-loading some of the software I have been
    > >> reading but once I download the software and it scans my computer it

    will
    > >> not delete anything unless I buy the software first and I the fact is

    > >really
    > >> can't afford to. I have AVG. virus checker and as far as I know it's

    > >working
    > >> fine and I keep it up to date, but my computer still crashes and like

    so
    > >> many of you I am bombarded with pop-ups constantly.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any help received.
    > >>
    > >> Alex
    > >>

    > >Try this: http://www.ada-ware.com/

    > ada-ware.com ?? I think you mean Ad-Aware, which is
    > to be found at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    You're right, of course! But did you look at the site I linked? Seems like
    it also has free pop-up, spam blocker (but I've never heard of it, so can't
    vouch for it)...

    Sherry, Oct 22, 2003
  6. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:21:36 GMT, in
    <PUzlb.17$>
    Sherry scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:55:59 GMT, in
    >> <jMxlb.1068$>
    >> Sherry scrawled:

    <snip>

    >> >Try this: http://www.ada-ware.com/

    >> ada-ware.com ?? I think you mean Ad-Aware, which is
    >> to be found at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >>

    >You're right, of course! But did you look at the site I linked?
    >Seems like it also has free pop-up, spam blocker (but I've never
    >heard of it, so can't vouch for it)...

    Yes, the homepage is here: http://www.inboxcop.com/index.cfm
    I cannot vouch for it, either.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 22, 2003
  7. AK

    Rob Guest

    "AK" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help me? I'm looking for free software the will help me fix my
    > computer and stop it crashing every few weeks, I am also getting dozens of
    > unwanted Emails hourly as well. A big problem I have is, I'm over sixty,

    out
    > of work, and don't have any spare cash to use on anything except the usual
    > household bills. I tried down-loading some of the software I have been
    > reading but once I download the software and it scans my computer it will
    > not delete anything unless I buy the software first and I the fact is

    really
    > can't afford to. I have AVG. virus checker and as far as I know it's

    working
    > fine and I keep it up to date, but my computer still crashes and like so
    > many of you I am bombarded with pop-ups constantly.
    >
    > Thanks for any help received.
    >
    > Alex

    Your system crashes could be hardware related. If you've had the computer
    for some time, dust may have built up inside and could be clogging the
    airflow as well as the fan that cools the CPU.
    Try removing the case cover and check that all the fans are running and
    clean out any dust bunnies that have built up inside.

    Rob, Oct 22, 2003
  8. AK

    philo Guest

    "AK" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help me? I'm looking for free software the will help me fix my
    > computer and stop it crashing every few weeks, I am also getting dozens of
    > unwanted Emails hourly as well. A big problem I have is, I'm over sixty,

    out
    > of work, and don't have any spare cash to use on anything except the usual
    > household bills. I tried down-loading some of the software I have been
    > reading but once I download the software and it scans my computer it will
    > not delete anything unless I buy the software first and I the fact is

    really
    > can't afford to. I have AVG. virus checker and as far as I know it's

    working
    > fine and I keep it up to date, but my computer still crashes and like so
    > many of you I am bombarded with pop-ups constantly.
    >
    > Thanks for any help received.

    you may want to also get Mail Washer

    you can pre-screen all your email and delete all the junk mail right on
    the server...the software is free

    btw: it has the abilty to blacklist and delete

    there is also a bounce option which you should really not use
    as the mail will probably not go back to the one who sent the spam

    philo, Oct 22, 2003
  9. AK

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:33:31 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:21:36 GMT, in
    > <PUzlb.17$>
    > Sherry scrawled:
    >

    >>"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:55:59 GMT, in
    >>> <jMxlb.1068$>
    >>> Sherry scrawled:

    ><snip>

    >>> ada-ware.com ?? I think you mean Ad-Aware, which is
    >>> to be found at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >>>

    >>You're right, of course! But did you look at the site I linked?
    >>Seems like it also has free pop-up, spam blocker (but I've never
    >>heard of it, so can't vouch for it)...

    >Yes, the homepage is here: http://www.inboxcop.com/index.cfm
    >I cannot vouch for it, either.

    It's just another filter. In essence, a company looking to profit from the spam
    problem. And there's this: [Emphasis mine]

    "Use of Your Email Address
    If you provide us with your email address when you register as a customer or
    make a purchase from us, *****we will occasionally send you email with
    recommendations or notices of new products, prices, and services.*****

    [If you sign up and give us your address, we'll spam you.]

    Separately, we send service notifications via email to keep you informed about
    the status of your service orders or accounts and to provide updates and
    technical notices. These messages are essential to the maintenance of your
    subscription and the functionality of our services. Therefore there is no
    opt-out available for service notifications and these messages cannot be
    blocked."

    [Hmmm.]

    "Who We Share It With
    InboxCop, Inc. will not sell, rent, or lease your personally identifiable
    information to others. Unless we have your permission or are required by law, we
    will only *****share the personal data you provide online with other InboxCop,
    Inc. entities and/or business partners who are acting on our behalf for the uses
    described in "Use of Data".*****

    [And where is that? I don't see any 'Use of Data' section here...why not? Why
    the vagueness?]

    By contract, third parties such as Cardservice International must comply with
    their own privacy policies with regard to the renting, selling, or sharing of
    information. As partners of InboxCop, Inc., they must also offer InboxCop, Inc.
    customers the chance to* ****opt out***** of information sharing.

    [Why should clients have to opt-out? Their agreement was with InboxCop, not with
    any third-party company.]

    For advertising purposes, visitor and customer information is statistically
    aggregated and reported to advertisers. However, we do not disclose to these
    entities any information that could be used to personally identify you, such as
    your name, email address, account, password, or transaction history."

    IMHO: Opt out, trying to profit. They tried to make it sound good, but didn't
    quite make it. [YMMV.]

    "Pity, that."

    --
    <Nazrat> So is Chad completely gone now?
    <AB> No. There's still a slight stain.

    Mara, Oct 22, 2003
  10. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:35:16 -0500, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    >On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:33:31 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:21:36 GMT, in
    >> <PUzlb.17$>
    >> Sherry scrawled:
    >>

    >>>"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >><snip>

    >>>You're right, of course! But did you look at the site I linked?
    >>>Seems like it also has free pop-up, spam blocker (but I've never
    >>>heard of it, so can't vouch for it)...

    >>Yes, the homepage is here: http://www.inboxcop.com/index.cfm
    >>I cannot vouch for it, either.

    >It's just another filter. In essence, a company looking to profit from the spam
    >problem. And there's this: [Emphasis mine]
    >
    >"Use of Your Email Address
    >If you provide us with your email address when you register as a customer or
    >make a purchase from us, *****we will occasionally send you email with
    >recommendations or notices of new products, prices, and services.*****
    >
    >[If you sign up and give us your address, we'll spam you.]
    >
    >Separately, we send service notifications via email to keep you informed about
    >the status of your service orders or accounts and to provide updates and
    >technical notices. These messages are essential to the maintenance of your
    >subscription and the functionality of our services. Therefore there is no
    >opt-out available for service notifications and these messages cannot be
    >blocked."
    >
    >[Hmmm.]
    >
    >"Who We Share It With
    >InboxCop, Inc. will not sell, rent, or lease your personally identifiable
    >information to others. Unless we have your permission or are required by law, we
    >will only *****share the personal data you provide online with other InboxCop,
    >Inc. entities and/or business partners who are acting on our behalf for the uses
    >described in "Use of Data".*****
    >
    >[And where is that? I don't see any 'Use of Data' section here...why not? Why
    >the vagueness?]
    >
    > By contract, third parties such as Cardservice International must comply with
    >their own privacy policies with regard to the renting, selling, or sharing of
    >information. As partners of InboxCop, Inc., they must also offer InboxCop, Inc.
    >customers the chance to* ****opt out***** of information sharing.
    >
    >[Why should clients have to opt-out? Their agreement was with InboxCop, not with
    >any third-party company.]
    >
    >For advertising purposes, visitor and customer information is statistically
    >aggregated and reported to advertisers. However, we do not disclose to these
    >entities any information that could be used to personally identify you, such as
    >your name, email address, account, password, or transaction history."
    >
    >IMHO: Opt out, trying to profit. They tried to make it sound good, but didn't
    >quite make it. [YMMV.]
    >
    >"Pity, that."

    Yeah, I did skip through it, but got called away. On second read,
    I don't particularly like the look of the privacy policy, either.

    °Mike°, Oct 22, 2003
  11. AK

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:53:44 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    <snip>
    >Yeah, I did skip through it, but got called away. On second read,
    >I don't particularly like the look of the privacy policy, either.

    Not very private, is it?

    "I won't recommend them."

    Mara, Oct 22, 2003
  12. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:42:40 -0500, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    >On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:53:44 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >>Yeah, I did skip through it, but got called away. On second read,
    >>I don't particularly like the look of the privacy policy, either.

    >Not very private, is it?

    I don't think so. I certainly wouldn't give them my email address.

    >"I won't recommend them."

    Nor I.

    --
    "I lost Faith In Skepticism. It wouldn't work, anyway."

    °Mike°, Oct 22, 2003
  13. AK

    Shep© Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:52:26 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "AK" <>
    wrote :

    >Can anyone help me? I'm looking for free software the will help me fix my
    >computer and stop it crashing every few weeks, I am also getting dozens of
    >unwanted Emails hourly as well. A big problem I have is, I'm over sixty, out
    >of work, and don't have any spare cash to use on anything except the usual
    >household bills. I tried down-loading some of the software I have been
    >reading but once I download the software and it scans my computer it will
    >not delete anything unless I buy the software first and I the fact is really
    >can't afford to. I have AVG. virus checker and as far as I know it's working
    >fine and I keep it up to date, but my computer still crashes and like so
    >many of you I am bombarded with pop-ups constantly.
    >
    >Thanks for any help received.
    >
    >Alex

    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html