    Since Microsoft offer a free service to remotely access someones pc to
    assist them, I wonder if any free software exists to access this hard drive
    remotely? Thanks for any advice.
    john bently, Dec 23, 2009

  2. john bently

    Mike Easter Guest

    john bently wrote:
    > Our son recently plugged a western digital external hard drive into

    our
    > modem, which apprently can be access remotely by other computers..

    'modem' in this context must mean a cable modem with an integrated
    switch/router wired with or without wireless. Knowing its brandname and
    modelno would be useful to me to understand its capabilities and
    troubleshooting.

    WD external in this context must mean a network ready external hdd.
    Knowing its modelno would help me know its capabilities.

    > When I configured my pc to get access to this hard drive (which is

    cable
    > connected to the modem) it connected without any problem.

    'cable connected' in this context would presumably mean ethernet.

    > Although when I tried to *remotely* access it from another computer

    via
    > a website I ended up on called Mionet, they wanted a regular $8 for me
    > to access the hard drive.

    I have very little idea what browser/website technique you went about
    that resulted in the Mionent result.

    Tell the modem/router/switch brandname & modleno; tell the WD hdd
    modelno.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 23, 2009

  3. john bently

    chuckcar Guest

    "john bently" <> wrote in

    > Our son recently plugged a western digital external hard drive into
    > our modem, which apprently can be access remotely by other computers..
    >
    > When I configured my pc to get access to this hard drive (which is
    > cable connected to the modem) it connected without any problem.
    >
    > Although when I tried to *remotely* access it from another computer
    > via a website I ended up on called Mionet, they wanted a regular $8
    > for me to access the hard drive.
    >
    > Since Microsoft offer a free service to remotely access someones pc to
    > assist them, I wonder if any free software exists to access this hard
    > drive remotely? Thanks for any advice.

    And you both know *exactly* how to prevent anyone else on the internet from
    accessing this hard drive as well?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Dec 23, 2009