Free software firewalls I have never heard of before

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Franklin, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. Franklin

    Franklin Guest

    I was looking for an alternative freeware firewall (I don't like
    ZA, Sygate is nice but I get problems with it, Kerio 2.1.5 is too
    technical for me, and Outpost is too hard to work out)

    I thought I had tried all the free firewalls but then I came
    across this web page:
    <http://www.klitetools.com/index.php?action=news&catid=47>

    I have never heard of products like these:

    R-Firewall 1.0 Build 53
    Look n Stop Lite 1.04
    Securepoint Personal Firewall 3.7.1
    WyvernWorks Firewall 5.2
    Filseclab Personal Firewall 2.5
    SoftPerfect Personal Firewall 1.4.1
    Jetico Personal Firewall 1.0.1.61

    Are they fully functioning full-strength firewalls? Many look as
    if they are only just out of beta if the version number is
    anything to go by.

    But others seems to have a mature version number and I have never
    heard of them.

    What do people know about these?

    Frank

    --

    [sorry guys if it offends but x-posting seems appropriate this
    time]

    Franklin, Sep 7, 2005

  2. I've tried most freeware firewalls and I get very good results with NetVeda
    Safety.Net

    Had problems with sp2 and securepoint
    wasn't satisfied with r-firewall and jetico
    had good results with wyvern

    hope it helps

    Hermann Berben, Sep 7, 2005

  3. Franklin

    El Gee Guest

    "Hermann Berben" <> wrote in

    > I've tried most freeware firewalls and I get very good results with
    > NetVeda Safety.Net
    >
    > Had problems with sp2 and securepoint
    > wasn't satisfied with r-firewall and jetico
    > had good results with wyvern

    <SNIP>

    1) Jetico was not good (but I cannot remember why though) I stuck with
    Sygate 2) Did not like Wyvern Works either. So far FOR ME, Sygate has
    been the best.

    El Gee // www.mistergeek.com <><
    Know Christ, Know Peace - No Christ, No Peace
    Remove .yourhat to reply

    El Gee, Sep 7, 2005
  4. El Gee wrote:

    > 1) Jetico was not good (but I cannot remember why though) I stuck with
    > Sygate 2) Did not like Wyvern Works either. So far FOR ME, Sygate has
    > been the best.

    maybe but it has been bought out by norton. So no matter how good it was in
    the past(It was my preference also) it may not remain a viable solution.

    I have been looking at jetico for quite some time and done allot or reading
    on it over at wildersecurity. It seems to be an excellent firewall but it
    is also more advanced so you will need to actually think to use it. If you
    want something easy and brain dead simple but not as featurefull you should
    look elsewere. I have not used it personally though.

    Brook Humphrey, Sep 7, 2005
  5. Franklin

    nemo_outis Guest

    Franklin <> wrote in news:96CA5D2A7EB2071F3M4@
    204.153.244.156:

    > I was looking for an alternative freeware firewall (I don't like
    > ZA, Sygate is nice but I get problems with it, Kerio 2.1.5 is too
    > technical for me, and Outpost is too hard to work out)
    >
    > I thought I had tried all the free firewalls but then I came
    > across this web page:
    > <http://www.klitetools.com/index.php?action=news&catid=47>
    >
    > I have never heard of products like these:
    >
    > R-Firewall 1.0 Build 53
    > Look n Stop Lite 1.04
    > Securepoint Personal Firewall 3.7.1
    > WyvernWorks Firewall 5.2
    > Filseclab Personal Firewall 2.5
    > SoftPerfect Personal Firewall 1.4.1
    > Jetico Personal Firewall 1.0.1.61
    >
    > Are they fully functioning full-strength firewalls? Many look as
    > if they are only just out of beta if the version number is
    > anything to go by.
    >
    > But others seems to have a mature version number and I have never
    > heard of them.
    >
    > What do people know about these?
    >
    > Frank

    I don't know about the others but Look n Stop (the full version)
    regularly takes turns with Outpost as the number 1 firewall in
    independent reviews. (Look n Stop isn't very well known, though.)

    See, for instance:

    www.firewallleaktester.com (that's 3 L's in a row!)

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Franklin

    Jim Scott Guest

    On 07 Sep 2005 14:06:23 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    > Franklin <> wrote in news:96CA5D2A7EB2071F3M4@
    > 204.153.244.156:
    >
    >> I was looking for an alternative freeware firewall (I don't like
    >> ZA, Sygate is nice but I get problems with it, Kerio 2.1.5 is too
    >> technical for me, and Outpost is too hard to work out)
    >>
    >> I thought I had tried all the free firewalls but then I came
    >> across this web page:
    >> <http://www.klitetools.com/index.php?action=news&catid=47>
    >>
    >> I have never heard of products like these:
    >>
    >> R-Firewall 1.0 Build 53
    >> Look n Stop Lite 1.04
    >> Securepoint Personal Firewall 3.7.1
    >> WyvernWorks Firewall 5.2
    >> Filseclab Personal Firewall 2.5
    >> SoftPerfect Personal Firewall 1.4.1
    >> Jetico Personal Firewall 1.0.1.61
    >>
    >> Are they fully functioning full-strength firewalls? Many look as
    >> if they are only just out of beta if the version number is
    >> anything to go by.
    >>
    >> But others seems to have a mature version number and I have never
    >> heard of them.
    >>
    >> What do people know about these?
    >>
    >> Frank

    > I don't know about the others but Look n Stop (the full version)
    > regularly takes turns with Outpost as the number 1 firewall in
    > independent reviews. (Look n Stop isn't very well known, though.)
    >
    > See, for instance:
    >
    > www.firewallleaktester.com (that's 3 L's in a row!)

    Look n Stop is not freeware.
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK

    Jim Scott, Sep 7, 2005
  7. Franklin

    nemo_outis Guest

    Jim Scott <> wrote in news:3fh249zylmt$.dlg@ID-
    104726.news.individual.net:

    > On 07 Sep 2005 14:06:23 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    >> I don't know about the others but Look n Stop (the full version)
    >> regularly takes turns with Outpost as the number 1 firewall in
    >> independent reviews. (Look n Stop isn't very well known, though.)
    >>
    >> See, for instance:
    >>
    >> www.firewallleaktester.com (that's 3 L's in a row!)

    > Look n Stop is not freeware.

    You're undoubtedly correct - I tend to gloss over such distinctions; the
    concept of paying for software does not loom large in my mind :)

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Sep 8, 2005
  8. Franklin

    Mel Guest

    >On 08 Sep 2005 02:33:51 GMT, "nemo_outis" <> wrote:
    >
    >the concept of paying for software does not loom large in my mind :)

    Maybe in the future you would consider not cross-posting to a group
    where such a concept is off-topic.

    Mel, Sep 8, 2005
  9. Franklin

    Jason Guest

    * Mel <>:
    >>On 08 Sep 2005 02:33:51 GMT, "nemo_outis" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>the concept of paying for software does not loom large in my mind :)
    >>

    > Maybe in the future you would consider not cross-posting to a group
    > where such a concept is off-topic.

    What concept would that be? Not paying for software? I haven't paid for
    software for years yet I'm totally legal so dont get all high and mighty
    thinking we're talking warez.

    Jason

    Jason, Sep 8, 2005
  10. Go with kerio..lot's of options and very tech intuitive.
    The free version doesnt disable the protection measures needed for a
    home system.

    It may take a bit of time to learn the features, but it's worth it. It
    is the most robust out of the free firewalls that I have tried.

    Brett Michaels From Poison, Sep 9, 2005
  11. Franklin

    Yourhighness Guest

    >From: "Brett Michaels From Poison"

    >Go with kerio..lot's of options and very tech intuitive.

    "Kerio Personal Firewall will be discontinued as of December 31, 2005.
    It will not be available for purchase after this date. Subscriptions
    will not be renewed. Technical support will be provided to all
    customers with valid subscriptions until the end of 2006."

    Quote taken from Kerio Forum:
    http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=7040&start=0&S=87a76357fa565eb8998b4e93472fa6fb

    Rgds,

    Yourhighness

    Yourhighness, Sep 10, 2005
  12. Franklin

    Fred Guest

    If it's not for sale and discontinued then it's no crime to use a crack
    with it. ;)

    Fred, Sep 10, 2005
  13. Franklin

    David Guest

    On 10 Sep 2005 04:01:35 -0700, "Fred" <>
    typed furiously:

    >If it's not for sale and discontinued then it's no crime to use a crack
    >with it. ;)

    It is still a copyright work and it would be illegal to do as you
    suggest.
    --
    David
    Remove "farook" to reply

    David, Sep 10, 2005
  14. "Yourhighness" <> wrote in

    >>From: "Brett Michaels From Poison"

    >>Go with kerio..lot's of options and very tech intuitive.

    > "Kerio Personal Firewall will be discontinued as of December 31, 2005.
    > It will not be available for purchase after this date. Subscriptions
    > will not be renewed. Technical support will be provided to all
    > customers with valid subscriptions until the end of 2006."
    >
    > Quote taken from Kerio Forum:
    > http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=7040&start=0&S=87a76357fa565
    > eb8998b4e93472fa6fb
    >
    > Rgds,
    >
    > Yourhighness

    I am starting to really this one,..

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/netvadanet.html

    NetVeda Safety.Net is an application firewall that offers inbound and
    outbound protection, as well as filtering, parental controls and email
    safety to protect you from hackers, worms, Trojans and intruders. It uses
    multi layer deep packet stateful inspection and enables you to configure
    which applications and components are trusted to access the network or
    Internet. In addition, some advanced firewall settings enable you to
    customize rules for enhanced security. The firewall features are basic,
    but application control and content filtering are easy to use and offer
    good features that let you restrict access to web sites, remove content
    from emails and browser requests, disarm email attachments and more. In
    addition, NetVeda Safety.Net offers detailed reports about application
    and network activity and allows you to apply rules to network computer
    that use your machine as Internet gateway.

    It seems to be doing the job and very pleasing to my habits.

    I am running it with Goldtach-FW on a w2k56kdialup..and chugging along
    rather swiftly..

    gw

    Global Warming, Sep 10, 2005
  15. Franklin

    Fred Guest

    Well, since it's free for personal use then I guess it doesn't matter
    anyway.

    Fred, Sep 11, 2005
  16. Franklin

    Mike Jones Guest

    Global Warming wrote:
    > "Yourhighness" <> wrote in
    >

    > I am starting to really this one,..
    >
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/netvadanet.html
    >
    > NetVeda Safety.Net is an application firewall that offers inbound and
    > outbound protection, as well as filtering, parental controls and email

    []
    > It seems to be doing the job and very pleasing to my habits.
    >
    > I am running it with Goldtach-FW on a w2k56kdialup..and chugging along
    > rather swiftly..

    not tried it yet, but it's a 6.2M download. Then again Kerio PF is 7M these
    days!
    No wonder they changed the name from Tiny Personal Firewall (that was <400k)

    Mike Jones, Sep 11, 2005
  17. Franklin

    Franklin Guest

    On Thu 08 Sep 2005 03:33:51, nemo_outis wrote:

    >>> I don't know about the others but Look n Stop (the full
    >>> version) regularly takes turns with Outpost as the number 1
    >>> firewall in independent reviews. (Look n Stop isn't very
    >>> well known, though.)
    >>>
    >>> See, for instance:
    >>>
    >>> www.firewallleaktester.com (that's 3 L's in a row!)

    >> Look n Stop is not freeware.

    > You're undoubtedly correct - I tend to gloss over such
    > distinctions; the concept of paying for software does not loom
    > large in my mind :)
    >
    > Regards,

    I had asked in the first line of my OP for "freeware". Grrr! :)

    Franklin, Sep 11, 2005
  18. Franklin

    Franklin Guest

    On Sun 11 Sep 2005 08:20:41, Fred wrote:

    > Well, since it's free for personal use then I guess it doesn't
    > matter anyway.

    I thought the cognoscenti used the much older Kerio 2.1.5 which is
    freeware.

    Franklin, Sep 11, 2005
  19. Franklin

    Ibn Battuta Guest

    Franklin <> wrote in news:96CE7EC718E7471F3M4@
    204.153.244.156:

    > I had asked in the first line of my OP for "freeware". Grrr! :)

    There is a free "lite" version of Look N Stop on Snapfiles.com. Though as an
    older version you may not be interested.

    Ibn

    Ibn Battuta, Sep 11, 2005
  20. Franklin

    Notan Guest

    Yourhighness wrote:

    > >From: "Brett Michaels From Poison"

    > >Go with kerio..lot's of options and very tech intuitive.

    > "Kerio Personal Firewall will be discontinued as of December 31, 2005.
    > It will not be available for purchase after this date. Subscriptions
    > will not be renewed. Technical support will be provided to all
    > customers with valid subscriptions until the end of 2006."
    >
    > Quote taken from Kerio Forum:
    > http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=7040&start=0&S=87a76357fa565eb8998b4e93472fa6fb

    Correction...

    According to Kerio's web site, the cutoff date is September 30, 2005.

    Notan

    Notan, Sep 11, 2005