free Software DVD Players/Converters?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by JLa, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. JLa

    JLa Guest

    If this question has already been answered at length, I'd be happy to be
    directed to the URL for this newsgroup's archives.

    Sorry for the shouty headlines, but I wanted to make this a quick read:

    USE
    Watch usenet video files from my hard drive.

    PROBLEMATIC FORMATS:
    1. VOB/IFO/BUP
    2. MPEG-4

    FEAUTURES of converter/player
    1. free (I'm unemployed; trying to minimize expenses)
    2. dependable handling of VOB/IFO/BUP and MPEG-4 formats
    3. not ad-supported or otherwise limited
    4. not elecard (which has no pause function and limited stop/ff functions;
    watermark on free version conflicts with Windows Media Player)

    SYSTEM
    WinXP - 850Mhz pIII.

    Please comment on software you know or have been recommended, not just what
    you have found through CNet or Google (I've already investigated these
    thoroughly).

    Thanks in advance!

    JLa
    JLa, Nov 15, 2003

  2. JLa

    JLa Guest

    amendment:

    I've also had problems with SVCD and XSVCD files. I think these are MPEG-
    4, but if I'm wrong then what I actually need is a free software DVD player
    or converter to handle

    1. SVCD and XSVCD
    2. VOB/IFO/BUP

    thanks again.

    JLa
    JLa, Nov 15, 2003

  3. JLa

    Impmon Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:47:39 GMT, JLa <>
    typed:

    >Please comment on software you know or have been recommended, not just what
    >you have found through CNet or Google (I've already investigated these
    >thoroughly).

    A good place to start is www.dvdrhelp.com it has several guides and link
    to several free and shareware software.

    As for Divx, you could still get free version of Divx but there isn't
    much function or feature as the paid version or adware version. Or you
    could simply use Xvid which is virtually indistinguishable from Divx.
    --
    space for rent.
    To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net
    Impmon, Nov 16, 2003
  4. JLa

    Impmon Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:58:59 GMT, JLa <>
    typed:

    >I've also had problems with SVCD and XSVCD files. I think these are MPEG-
    >4, but if I'm wrong then what I actually need is a free software DVD player
    >or converter to handle
    >
    >1. SVCD and XSVCD
    >2. VOB/IFO/BUP

    The simplest is to use DVD2AVI to convert the VOB files to format more
    readable by the PC. Then use TMPGEnc to convert the file to SVCD
    format. You could tweak the SVCD setting (which gives you XSVCD) but
    keep in mind not a lot of DVD player can handle SVCD and even less can
    handle XSVCD with higher bitrate.
    Impmon, Nov 16, 2003
  5. JLa

    Biz Guest

    "JLa" <> wrote in message
    > If this question has already been answered at length, I'd be happy to be
    > directed to the URL for this newsgroup's archives.
    >
    > Sorry for the shouty headlines, but I wanted to make this a quick read:
    >
    > USE
    > Watch usenet video files from my hard drive.
    >
    > PROBLEMATIC FORMATS:
    > 1. VOB/IFO/BUP

    These are only from ripped dvds, any dvd player software will play them.
    VCD, SVCD, are all mpeg1 or 2, so you still need dvd player software. Since
    mpeg2 is a licensed format, legally there are no free mpeg players. If you
    can afford a broadband connection, you can pony up the $20-$30 on eBay for a
    copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD.

    Biz, Nov 16, 2003
  6. JLa

    JLa Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in

    > If you
    > can afford a broadband connection, you can pony up the $20-$30 on eBay
    > for a copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD.

    heh. Good point. I'll investigate the converter route and then pony up if
    it doesn't work out, remain in either case mildly astonished at your
    ability to extrapolate that I have cable.

    JLa
    JLa, Nov 16, 2003
  7. JLa

    JLa Guest

    > A good place to start is www.dvdrhelp.com it has several guides and
    > link to several free and shareware software.

    Thank you!

    JLa
    JLa, Nov 16, 2003
  8. JLa

    JLa Guest

    > The simplest is to use DVD2AVI to convert the VOB files to format more
    > readable by the PC. Then use TMPGEnc to convert the file to SVCD
    > format.

    Thanks!

    JLa
    JLa, Nov 16, 2003
  9. JLa

    Skid Guest

    "JLa" <> wrote in message
    > "Biz" <> wrote in
    >
    > > If you
    > > can afford a broadband connection, you can pony up the $20-$30 on eBay
    > > for a copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD.
    > >

    > heh. Good point. I'll investigate the converter route and then pony up

    if
    > it doesn't work out, remain in either case mildly astonished at your
    > ability to extrapolate that I have cable.

    Elementary, my dear Watson.

    Nobody is going to download a bunch of movies online using a dialup
    connection.
    Skid, Nov 16, 2003
  10. JLa

    Impmon Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:12:24 GMT, "Skid" <>
    typed:

    >Nobody is going to download a bunch of movies online using a dialup
    >connection.

    Nobody? Well, probably not many but there are some that would download
    over 56K. I have 56K (not quite by choice but I'm not shelling $100/mo
    for satellite service that is no better than 56K)

    I have gotten several movies and nearly 500 TV shows in the past few
    years since discovering P2P program. I leave my PC on overnight and let
    it do most of the downloading. Slow yes but 98% of what I download
    aren't out on DVD like "Dottie and the Poacher" and "Song of the South"
    Impmon, Nov 16, 2003