Free softphone with VPN/Proxy support?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Damo, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Damo

    Damo Guest

    Hi All

    I am a newbie to VOIP, so please be gentle! :)

    I work at home often, and connect to my company's intranet by means of
    a VPN. When my PC is connected in this way, the VPN does not allow
    any local listening ports on my PC. This prevents all of the freeware
    softphones that I have seen from working, as they require a listening
    socket to receive calls. Naturally, the VPN allows outgoing
    connections through a proxy host.

    Conceivably, it would be possible to design a softphone that connects
    to a proxy server within an intranet, and do all listening on this
    proxy server. That way, my PC would only need to make an outgoing
    connection, and would still be able to receive calls. Of course, the
    connection between such a softphone and its proxy must be held open
    even when no calls are in progress.

    I am only interested in communicating between softphones, and only
    between other users of the intranet.

    Does any such system exist?

    Kind regards,
    Damian.

    Damo, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Damo

    Viking Guest

    We use a Nortel BCM. Supports analog, digital and IPphones and softphones.
    Has a integrated VPN concentrator and you get free VPN client soft. The box
    supports a lot of nice and advanced features and the softphone is great.
    Viking.

    (Damo) wrote in

    Viking, Feb 20, 2004