Free SD card from DSE

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by KewlKiwi, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. KewlKiwi

    KewlKiwi Guest

    KewlKiwi, Aug 13, 2005

  2. KewlKiwi

    Phstpok Guest

    Phstpok, Aug 13, 2005

  3. KewlKiwi <> writes:

    >'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's not
    >a cock-up!

    If you look at the web page it says:

    Online Store: Out of stock, no further stock is due.

    We will not ship or transfer this product to another Store.

    So the $0 for the online store is probably because there isn't any available.
    Trying to order it (just for a giggle) gives:

    Your order will be processed by our DirectLink Home Shopping Service and
    will be dispatched as soon as possible, subject to availability.

    The legal position (at least in the UK, I assume it's the same here) is that
    if they advertise it at $X then they have to give it to you at that price.
    This hit a UK retailer last year some time when they accidentally advertised
    some rather expensive consumer electronics item (plasma TV?) for an incredibly
    low price. However, since there's no stock available, they're under no
    obligation to send you any of the non-items.

    Peter.

    Peter Gutmann, Aug 13, 2005
  4. KewlKiwi

    colinco Guest

    In article Peter Gutmann says...
    > The legal position (at least in the UK, I assume it's the same here) is that
    > if they advertise it at $X then they have to give it to you at that price.
    > This hit a UK retailer last year some time when they accidentally advertised
    > some rather expensive consumer electronics item (plasma TV?) for an incredibly
    > low price. However, since there's no stock available, they're under no
    > obligation to send you any of the non-items.

    INAL but Retailer normally under no obligation to sell anything.
    Fair Trading Act allows for genuine mistakes. Retailer only in trouble
    if consistantly advertising wrong prices. I'd be surprised if UK law was
    any different

    colinco, Aug 13, 2005
  5. KewlKiwi

    EMB Guest

    colinco wrote:

    > INAL but Retailer normally under no obligation to sell anything.
    > Fair Trading Act allows for genuine mistakes. Retailer only in trouble
    > if consistantly advertising wrong prices.

    Yep - an advertisment is only "an invitation to treat"so the retailer is
    not obliged to sell you anything at the advertised price (assuming a
    mistake has been made).

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Aug 13, 2005
  6. KewlKiwi

    Dave Guest

    "KewlKiwi" <> wrote in message
    > 'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's not a
    > cock-up!
    >
    > See:
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42fdd2da0111fda2273fc0a87f990743/Product/View/J2921
    > or: http://tinyurl.com/a35hf

    From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will find
    all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways. If you do a
    search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm Treo 650 smartphone
    which if you read says that it includes a free SD card. Therefore this card
    is only available if you buy a Palm Treo 650.

    Dave, Aug 14, 2005
  7. KewlKiwi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > "KewlKiwi" <> wrote in message
    >> 'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's
    >> not a cock-up!
    >>
    >> See:
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42fdd2da0111fda2273fc0a87f990743/Product/View/J2921
    >> or: http://tinyurl.com/a35hf

    > From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will
    > find all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways.
    > If you do a search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm
    > Treo 650 smartphone which if you read says that it includes a free SD
    > card. Therefore this card is only available if you buy a Palm Treo
    > 650.

    That is exactly what I was told this morning after driving off to my local
    DSE store. I showed them a printed copy of the web page and asked them to
    show me where it says that. No good, I couldn't get one. I've emailed head
    office expressing my view of this. The linked page can be easilly found by
    going to DSE's site and clicking "Clearance". It's on the last page.

    How was I to know that a 'J' code is only available with another item? I
    didn't know that (until now) so spent my time and petrol money in good faith
    going to the store.

    Not impressed.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 14, 2005
  8. KewlKiwi

    shannon Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >>"KewlKiwi" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's
    >>>not a cock-up!
    >>>
    >>>See:
    >>>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42fdd2da0111fda2273fc0a87f990743/Product/View/J2921
    >>>or: http://tinyurl.com/a35hf

    >>From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will
    >>find all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways.
    >>If you do a search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm
    >>Treo 650 smartphone which if you read says that it includes a free SD
    >>card. Therefore this card is only available if you buy a Palm Treo
    >>650.

    > That is exactly what I was told this morning after driving off to my local
    > DSE store. I showed them a printed copy of the web page and asked them to
    > show me where it says that. No good, I couldn't get one. I've emailed head
    > office expressing my view of this. The linked page can be easilly found by
    > going to DSE's site and clicking "Clearance". It's on the last page.
    >
    > How was I to know that a 'J' code is only available with another item? I
    > didn't know that (until now) so spent my time and petrol money in good faith
    > going to the store.
    >
    > Not impressed.

    You win some, you lose some. :)

    shannon, Aug 14, 2005
  9. KewlKiwi

    Dave Guest

    >> From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will
    >> find all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways.
    >> If you do a search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm
    >> Treo 650 smartphone which if you read says that it includes a free SD
    >> card. Therefore this card is only available if you buy a Palm Treo
    >> 650.

    > That is exactly what I was told this morning after driving off to my local
    > DSE store. I showed them a printed copy of the web page and asked them to
    > show me where it says that. No good, I couldn't get one. I've emailed head
    > office expressing my view of this. The linked page can be easilly found by
    > going to DSE's site and clicking "Clearance". It's on the last page.
    >
    > How was I to know that a 'J' code is only available with another item? I
    > didn't know that (until now) so spent my time and petrol money in good
    > faith going to the store.
    >
    > Not impressed.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    They should have showed you the small print at the bottom of the page which
    is included with every clearance item.
    "PLEASE NOTE: Stock Availability last updated 2:00am 14-Aug-2005. Actual
    Stock Availability is subject to constant change. For orders placed online,
    available stock is allocated on a "first in first served" basis. For Retail
    Stores, please phone the store you intend to visit to ensure they still have
    stock. "
    The last sentence is actually stated twice on the web page. Therefore if you
    had rung them they would have been able to inform you over the phone and you
    wouldn't have wasted your time and petrol. Common sense would have also been
    to be skeptical of anything being offered for free with no strings attached!

    Dave, Aug 14, 2005
  10. KewlKiwi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> "KewlKiwi" <> wrote in message

    >>> From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will
    >>> find all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways.
    >>> If you do a search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm
    >>> Treo 650 smartphone which if you read says that it includes a free
    >>> SD card. Therefore this card is only available if you buy a Palm
    >>> Treo 650.

    >> That is exactly what I was told this morning after driving off to my
    >> local DSE store. I showed them a printed copy of the web page and
    >> asked them to show me where it says that. No good, I couldn't get
    >> one. I've emailed head office expressing my view of this. The linked
    >> page can be easilly found by going to DSE's site and clicking
    >> "Clearance". It's on the last page. How was I to know that a 'J' code is
    >> only available with another
    >> item? I didn't know that (until now) so spent my time and petrol
    >> money in good faith going to the store.
    >>
    >> Not impressed.

    > You win some, you lose some. :)

    Too true. I've had some excellent deals from DSE. The last thing I got free
    was an expansion memory card/mains power kit for a "Bookman" (or something).
    The wallwart was a multi-voltage DSE one they'd included in the kit, very
    handy to have around. It was listed as costing $0.01 But when I went to give
    the cashier five cents he said "No charge". Usually I end up buying
    something else that I didn't know I needed while I'm there. Like the other
    stuff I left on the counter this morning as a protest to the brainless
    'droid who "served" me's condescending attitude.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 14, 2005
  11. KewlKiwi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave wrote:
    >>> From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will
    >>> find all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways.
    >>> If you do a search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm
    >>> Treo 650 smartphone which if you read says that it includes a free
    >>> SD card. Therefore this card is only available if you buy a Palm
    >>> Treo 650.

    >> That is exactly what I was told this morning after driving off to my
    >> local DSE store. I showed them a printed copy of the web page and
    >> asked them to show me where it says that. No good, I couldn't get
    >> one. I've emailed head office expressing my view of this. The linked
    >> page can be easilly found by going to DSE's site and clicking
    >> "Clearance". It's on the last page. How was I to know that a 'J' code is
    >> only available with another
    >> item? I didn't know that (until now) so spent my time and petrol
    >> money in good faith going to the store.
    >>
    >> Not impressed.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > They should have showed you the small print at the bottom of the page
    > which is included with every clearance item.

    Thank you for your condescending reply. That disclaimer is at the bottom of
    every item page on DSE's site, not just clearance items.

    > "PLEASE NOTE: Stock Availability last updated 2:00am 14-Aug-2005.
    > Actual Stock Availability is subject to constant change. For orders
    > placed online, available stock is allocated on a "first in first
    > served" basis. For Retail Stores, please phone the store you intend
    > to visit to ensure they still have stock.
    > The last sentence is actually stated twice on the web page. Therefore
    > if you had rung them they would have been able to inform you over the
    > phone and you wouldn't have wasted your time and petrol.

    In fact I did ring them and they confimed that they had J2921 in stock.
    Nothing was mentioned about anything else.

    > Common sense
    > would have also been to be skeptical of anything being offered for
    > free with no strings attached!

    In this case common sense would be wrong. I have, on several occaisions, got
    stuff from DSE free. As a VIP cardholder I used to check their clearance
    section regularly, at least every time they email me with specials. Other
    stuff they have had listed as $0.01 and when I've gone to pay for it they
    have said "No charge".

    Just last week I bought a quite nice jigsaw with laser guide, several saw
    blades and accessories in a plastic case for $10. The silly young woman
    behind the counter kept telling methere must be a mistake after scanning my
    VIP card and seeing the price change to $10. I told her there was no
    mistake, it was in an email that they sent me that day. She wouldn't believe
    me *or* the till, insisted on checking with the manager. They hire some
    really intelectually challenged people. But you'd know that I guess.

    Your input has been invaluable, thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 14, 2005
  12. KewlKiwi

    A Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:05:12 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Too true. I've had some excellent deals from DSE. The last thing I got free
    >was an expansion memory card/mains power kit for a "Bookman" (or something).
    >The wallwart was a multi-voltage DSE one they'd included in the kit, very
    >handy to have around. It was listed as costing $0.01 But when I went to give
    >the cashier five cents he said "No charge". Usually I end up buying
    >something else that I didn't know I needed while I'm there. Like the other
    >stuff I left on the counter this morning as a protest to the brainless
    >'droid who "served" me's condescending attitude.

    You can pick up some great deals from the larger chain stores -
    they're usually not too worried about taking a loss on items just to
    get rid of it.

    Over the weekend I had a 50% off one item under $50 coupon for
    Warehouse Stationary. I bought a brother label maker for $49.95 less
    50%. The bonus was that it came with a $30 cash rebate.

    A, Aug 14, 2005
  13. On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:30:12 +1200, "Dave" <> wrote:

    >"KewlKiwi" <> wrote in message
    >> 'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's not a
    >> cock-up!
    >>
    >> See:
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42fdd2da0111fda2273fc0a87f990743/Product/View/J2921
    >> or: http://tinyurl.com/a35hf

    >From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will find
    >all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways. If you do a
    >search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm Treo 650 smartphone
    >which if you read says that it includes a free SD card. Therefore this card
    >is only available if you buy a Palm Treo 650.

    based on what comes up on the website ie. no description of the
    product & zero price the webserver has made a mistake and they not
    obliged to make sale

    the sensible thing to do is call the shop to clarify

    FreedomChooser, Aug 14, 2005
  14. KewlKiwi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    A wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:05:12 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Too true. I've had some excellent deals from DSE. The last thing I
    >> got free was an expansion memory card/mains power kit for a
    >> "Bookman" (or something). The wallwart was a multi-voltage DSE one
    >> they'd included in the kit, very handy to have around. It was listed
    >> as costing $0.01 But when I went to give the cashier five cents he
    >> said "No charge". Usually I end up buying something else that I
    >> didn't know I needed while I'm there. Like the other stuff I left on
    >> the counter this morning as a protest to the brainless 'droid who
    >> "served" me's condescending attitude.

    > You can pick up some great deals from the larger chain stores -
    > they're usually not too worried about taking a loss on items just to
    > get rid of it.
    >
    > Over the weekend I had a 50% off one item under $50 coupon for
    > Warehouse Stationary. I bought a brother label maker for $49.95 less
    > 50%. The bonus was that it came with a $30 cash rebate.

    Cool! Excellent buy. I haven't seen these cash rebate things myself yet.
    However I see a lot or Americans in the Computer hardware groups mentioning
    them on hardware purchases. Often things end up costing around 20% of the
    normal price with the rebate. Is it a voucher-type thing you send in? I've
    often wondered when it would catch on here as we do tend to follow the
    Americans when it comes to consumer (society) goods.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 14, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 14, 2005
  16. KewlKiwi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > KewlKiwi wrote:
    >> 'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's
    >> not a cock-up!
    >>
    >> See:
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42fdd2da0111fda2273fc0a87f990743/Product/View/J2921
    >>
    >> or: http://tinyurl.com/a35hf

    > "Purchase a Treo 650 (E2921) and receive a free memory card (J2921)"
    >
    > not quite free.

    They've obviously recieved my email and changed the site, although they
    haven't replied to *me* yet. (Either that or their faithful ex-employee who
    posted here had informed them of this discussion). If you want I can send
    you a saved copy of the web page from 10.45am yesterday that didn't have the
    line you just quoted included in it. I printed a copy to take to the shop
    (The time/date is printed on the bottom, saves 'disscussions' with staff who
    can't believe that certain items are free/really that cheap. It can get
    embarassing teaching them about their own product and often having to give
    them a lesson in customer relations in the process) and also saved it to
    disk.

    (For the above reason there's one guy in particular who I usually seek out
    when I go to the local store. He's smarter than your average duck and is
    their "computer guy". I couldn't see him yesterday, obviously, as a reward
    for having a clue, he gets weekends off).

    And for those people who say "You have no common sense, why would a company
    give something away?" here's another (albeit less attractive) freebie from
    their clearance section:

    <URL snipped> I just remembered, DSE have a unique code in their URLs that
    tell them that it's me logging in. Last time I posted a DSE URL someone went
    to the 'place an order' section from my link and it came up with my details>

    To find said item, go to their home page www.dse.co.nz and click on
    'clearance' on the left side. It's a couple of pages in to their selection,
    halfway down their "107 products. View: 81-100" page. Just look at the price
    column, you can't miss it.

    DSE do this all the time. They get rid of old stock that isn't moving and
    they get punters in the door. That's why they don't mail-order the clearance
    items. It's called a loss-leader, get 'em in the shop, hope they'll buy
    something else while they're there.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 15, 2005
  17. KewlKiwi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > KewlKiwi wrote:
    >> 'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's
    >> not a cock-up!
    >>
    >> See:
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42fdd2da0111fda2273fc0a87f990743/Product/View/J2921
    >>
    >> or: http://tinyurl.com/a35hf

    > "Purchase a Treo 650 (E2921) and receive a free memory card (J2921)"
    >
    > not quite free.

    Yeah, thought so. My email got them to change the page.

    I just got an email from them saying that, as it was a genuine mistake, they
    aren't obliged to supply it at that 'price'. (I knew that already). However,
    as a measure of good faith they are sending me one in the mail and the
    webmaster has been notified and asked to change the page. Seems he's done it
    quick/smart. Actually, IMO he hasn't done enough. It shouldn't be a seperate
    listing in the "Clearance" section at all.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 15, 2005
  18. KewlKiwi

    KewlKiwi Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > To find said item, go to their home page www.dse.co.nz and click on
    > 'clearance' on the left side. It's a couple of pages in to their selection,
    > halfway down their "107 products. View: 81-100" page. Just look at the price
    > column, you can't miss it.

    I've had my eye on that one for a while too.
    Only problem (with that item) is I cant see any use for it!
    The matching plug is further up the page for 10c, but who needs a clunky
    looking, non-polarized p&s that big...

    Bob

    KewlKiwi, Aug 15, 2005
  19. KewlKiwi

    KewlKiwi Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > However,
    > as a measure of good faith they are sending me one in the mail and the
    > webmaster has been notified and asked to change the page.

    Good one!

    Now, if it had been a CF card, I would have been in like Flynn.
    Bob

    KewlKiwi, Aug 15, 2005
  20. KewlKiwi

    A Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 02:06:06 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >A wrote:
    >> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:05:12 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Too true. I've had some excellent deals from DSE. The last thing I
    >>> got free was an expansion memory card/mains power kit for a
    >>> "Bookman" (or something). The wallwart was a multi-voltage DSE one
    >>> they'd included in the kit, very handy to have around. It was listed
    >>> as costing $0.01 But when I went to give the cashier five cents he
    >>> said "No charge". Usually I end up buying something else that I
    >>> didn't know I needed while I'm there. Like the other stuff I left on
    >>> the counter this morning as a protest to the brainless 'droid who
    >>> "served" me's condescending attitude.

    >> You can pick up some great deals from the larger chain stores -
    >> they're usually not too worried about taking a loss on items just to
    >> get rid of it.
    >>
    >> Over the weekend I had a 50% off one item under $50 coupon for
    >> Warehouse Stationary. I bought a brother label maker for $49.95 less
    >> 50%. The bonus was that it came with a $30 cash rebate.

    >Cool! Excellent buy. I haven't seen these cash rebate things myself yet.
    >However I see a lot or Americans in the Computer hardware groups mentioning
    >them on hardware purchases. Often things end up costing around 20% of the
    >normal price with the rebate. Is it a voucher-type thing you send in? I've
    >often wondered when it would catch on here as we do tend to follow the
    >Americans when it comes to consumer (society) goods.

    To claim a rebate you send in a voucher you get with the purchase of
    an item. It can be either cash or a freebie (extra game or DVD).

    Rebates aren't as common here as in the US but they do pop up a bit if
    you keep your eyes open. It's annoying when I buy something from the
    US and there's this big rebate or bonus DVD by redemption offer which
    is only valid in the US.

    I think they must work on the assumption that not everyone bothers to
    claim a rebate (or lose the details etc...).

    A, Aug 15, 2005