Free S/W needed: Supplied PowerDVD doesn't work

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by maggie_g47@hotmail.com, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    The software that came with my DVD player doesn't work. Can someone
    recommend a free player that doesn't voluntarily comply with that
    Macrovision #&$%!

    My problem seems to be that the video card built into my computer is
    too old to send that ____ Macrovision signal to prevent copying to
    VCRs. There isn't even a TV Out!

    The weird thing is, PowerDVD used to work just fine on every single DVD
    I ever tried to play, and a couple days ago it started giving the error
    message "The TV Out port of your display card is not working properly.
    (Detailed) This copy protected disc can not be played when the TV out
    function is enabled." I searched for a solution and found page after
    page of people who have this problem, with no clear solution, unless
    you happen to have a specific video card there's a patch for. The ways
    it's supposed to work is that if there IS a TV Out AND it's enabled,
    then PowerDVD won't play it - to prevent illegal copying. Well, it's
    NOT working that way as I HAVE NOT TV OUT. ______!

    _______ copy protection preventing people from even WATCHING the _____
    movie!

    Any help appreciated. Any why did PowerDVD quit working? I didn't
    change anything. I downloaded and installed a new driver from SiS,
    which didn't change anything.

    (The video card built into my mother board uses the SiS 630 chipset, in
    case you know of a FIXED driver for it.)

    I hope I don't have to go buy a specific video card that has an online
    CRACK for it so I can PLAY my _____ movies on my computer.

    Thanks

    , Sep 7, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > The software that came with my DVD player doesn't work. Can someone
    > recommend a free player that doesn't voluntarily comply with that
    > Macrovision #&$%!
    >
    > My problem seems to be that the video card built into my computer is
    > too old to send that ____ Macrovision signal to prevent copying to
    > VCRs. There isn't even a TV Out!
    >
    > The weird thing is, PowerDVD used to work just fine on every single DVD
    > I ever tried to play, and a couple days ago it started giving the error
    > message "The TV Out port of your display card is not working properly.
    > (Detailed) This copy protected disc can not be played when the TV out
    > function is enabled." I searched for a solution and found page after
    > page of people who have this problem, with no clear solution, unless
    > you happen to have a specific video card there's a patch for. The ways
    > it's supposed to work is that if there IS a TV Out AND it's enabled,
    > then PowerDVD won't play it - to prevent illegal copying. Well, it's
    > NOT working that way as I HAVE NOT TV OUT. ______!
    >
    > _______ copy protection preventing people from even WATCHING the _____
    > movie!
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Any why did PowerDVD quit working? I didn't
    > change anything. I downloaded and installed a new driver from SiS,
    > which didn't change anything.
    >
    > (The video card built into my mother board uses the SiS 630 chipset, in
    > case you know of a FIXED driver for it.)
    >
    > I hope I don't have to go buy a specific video card that has an online
    > CRACK for it so I can PLAY my _____ movies on my computer.
    >
    > Thanks

    You could try VLC Player .. that can play DVD's. Or I got hold of a
    codec pack that included Media Player Classic that also was able to play
    DVD's.

    Matthew Memmory, Sep 7, 2005

  3. Impmon Guest

    On 6 Sep 2005 18:38:29 -0700, wrote:

    >The software that came with my DVD player doesn't work. Can someone
    >recommend a free player that doesn't voluntarily comply with that
    >Macrovision #&$%!

    www.videohelp.com has link to other DVD player software (some free,
    some shareware) and reviews.

    Impmon, Sep 7, 2005
  4. Bratboy Guest

    What kind of card do you have? If an NV one the tool I used to use that
    would disable Macro and such called TVTool. Really nice app but since I
    moved to ATI a while back & upgraded my HTS I no longer need it but you
    might give it a looksee. Not sure but think the web addy was
    http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm

    Bratboy, Sep 7, 2005
  5. Guest

    >You could try VLC Player .. that can play DVD's.

    That works. Thankyou.

    , Sep 7, 2005
  6. tooly Guest

    Man...is this worth all the struggle? I am in amazement how this market
    ever got off the ground...producers are just making life too miserable with
    all this greedy copy protection and failsafe hardware. Geeze...hell, we
    just want to USE what we buy. I'm only a week into this and I'm already
    ready to chuck my equipment and save myself a heart attack from frustration.
    Elizabeth...Elizabeth...!!!

    tooly, Sep 19, 2005
  7. Biz Guest

    I recommend fixing the display driver problem with your PC, as it will
    surely affect other things as well. All good dvd player software will tell
    you it cant play if it thinks you dont have the right setup to respect teh
    macrovision signal. My guess is you updated your video card drivers, just
    roll back to the previous version

    Biz, Sep 20, 2005