Free registration code for Opera

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by mario, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. mario

    mario Guest

    mario, Aug 30, 2005

  2. mario

    Nova Guest

    mario wrote:
    > Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    > registration codes.
    >
    > http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml
    >
    > mario

    Cheers, great browser, has the best printing capabilties I've seen so
    far too :).
    Nova, Aug 30, 2005

  3. mario

    Fran Guest

    Nova wrote:

    > mario wrote:
    >> Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    >> registration codes.
    >>
    >> http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml
    >>
    >> mario

    > Cheers, great browser, has the best printing capabilties I've seen so
    > far too :).

    8.01 under Linux and I couldn't print at all.
    8.02 and now I can.

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Aug 30, 2005
  4. mario

    Nova Guest

    Fran wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >

    >>mario wrote:
    >>
    >>>Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    >>>registration codes.
    >>>
    >>>http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml
    >>>
    >>>mario

    >>Cheers, great browser, has the best printing capabilties I've seen so
    >>far too :).

    > 8.01 under Linux and I couldn't print at all.
    > 8.02 and now I can.
    >
    > Fran
    > :):):)

    That's good, i didn't even know it was available for *nix :).

    It's the only intelligent browser when it comes to printing, as in it
    can shrink pages to fit on a4 you can shrink webpages as much as you
    want etc. Also if you do decide to cut a page it doesn't cut the page
    right in the middle of a photo like firefox does..
    Though firefox was better at printing than IE6.
    Nova, Aug 30, 2005
  5. mario

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:33:21 +1200, mario
    <> wrote:

    >Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    >registration codes.
    >
    >http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml
    >
    >mario

    That is good. Great browser. Can still surpass Firefox in a few
    areas.
    GraB, Aug 31, 2005
  6. mario

    ~misfit~ Guest

    mario wrote:
    > Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    > registration codes.
    >
    > http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml

    Went to the site using Firefox and, in the resulting page after I entered my
    email addy all the boxes were blank.

    Guess I'll stick with Firefox.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 31, 2005
  7. mario

    Fran Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > mario wrote:
    >> Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    >> registration codes.
    >>
    >> http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml

    > Went to the site using Firefox and, in the resulting page after I entered
    > my email addy all the boxes were blank.
    >
    > Guess I'll stick with Firefox.

    I went there using Opera and, in the resulting page after I entered my email
    addy all the boxes were blank.
    So I hit refresh and they all popped up nicely.

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Aug 31, 2005
  8. mario

    bambam Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > mario wrote:
    >> Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    >> registration codes.
    >>
    >> http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml

    > Went to the site using Firefox and, in the resulting page after I
    > entered my email addy all the boxes were blank.
    >
    > Guess I'll stick with Firefox.

    I did the same thing this morning, and also got blank boxes. Then I had to
    go to work. At lunch time I tried again and it worked OK. Go figure. ;)
    bambam, Aug 31, 2005
  9. In article <>, says...
    > mario wrote:
    > > Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    > > registration codes.
    > >
    > > http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml

    > Went to the site using Firefox and, in the resulting page after I entered my
    > email addy all the boxes were blank.
    >
    > Guess I'll stick with Firefox.

    Went to the page with Firefox, and, after entering email got my code.
    Cut and pasted into Opera, didn't work.

    Went to the page with Opera, and, after entering email got my code.
    Cut and pasted into registration form and Viola! ;-)

    Upgraded from Opera 7 to 8.02 afterwards and still registered.

    I still find Firefox more intuitive, but that's probably because I've
    been trained that way. The new Opera looks very sleek, anyhow.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 31, 2005
  10. mario

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:04:51 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, says...
    >> mario wrote:
    >> > Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    >> > registration codes.
    >> >
    >> > http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml

    >> Went to the site using Firefox and, in the resulting page after I entered my
    >> email addy all the boxes were blank.
    >>
    >> Guess I'll stick with Firefox.
    >>

    >Went to the page with Firefox, and, after entering email got my code.
    >Cut and pasted into Opera, didn't work.
    >
    >Went to the page with Opera, and, after entering email got my code.
    >Cut and pasted into registration form and Viola! ;-)
    >
    >Upgraded from Opera 7 to 8.02 afterwards and still registered.
    >
    >I still find Firefox more intuitive, but that's probably because I've
    >been trained that way. The new Opera looks very sleek, anyhow.
    >
    >-P.

    Went to the page with Firefox and got the codes no problem, pasted
    into Opera, registered no problem.
    GraB, Aug 31, 2005
  11. On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:33:21 +1200, mario wrote:

    > Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    > registration codes.
    >
    > http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml
    >
    > mario

    meanwhile Firefox is just always free...
    wogers nemesis, Aug 31, 2005
  12. mario

    Fran Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:

    > On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:33:21 +1200, mario wrote:
    >
    >> Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    >> registration codes.
    >>
    >> http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml
    >>
    >> mario

    > meanwhile Firefox is just always free...

    And slow.

    If Opera wasn't out there I would be using Firefox no question.
    But after using both I keep using Opera it's just snappier and smoother.

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Sep 1, 2005
  13. mario

    RdM Guest

    mario wrote in nz.comp<4314b3c4$>:
    > Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    > registration codes.
    >
    > http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml

    Thanks;- I got a couple myself - and passed it on a bit too.

    I'd tried a recent version, uh, 8.0, recently, on a friend's Duron 1600
    that's here; I had also just previously found that it would also run on a
    486 w only about 24 or 28mb ram! Seriously impressive! But what was really
    cool, I thought, on the faster machine, was the built in VOICE RECOGNITION!

    Yes; hook up a microphone and commands like "Page Up" and Page Down" and
    even customised ones like "TV" to go to a bookmarked TV listing page, were
    operational! One has to precede each command with a keyword to address it;
    built in ones are "Opera", Hal", "Baby". I didn't develop it much - it's not
    my PC - but look forward to configuring it on my own faster (than this basic
    internet) PC and organising some favourite pages for voiced bookmarks ...

    I was using a headset mic, but a quite sensitive desk mike might be OK too.
    Extraneous sounds sometimes provoked "I'm sorry, I don't understand that".

    Forgie my excitement; I've never played with voice recognition software at
    all; one day it might be nice to buy Dragon Dictate or Viavoice or somesuch,
    but it's nice to find a free app with some basic voice ability built in!
    I can see it could be handy and fun for anyone with an off-line collection
    of web pages; reference, data, etc;- all able to be called by name!
    --
    Cheers!

    RdM
    RdM, Sep 1, 2005
  14. mario

    RdM Guest

    mario <> in
    nz.comp<4314b3c4$>:
    > Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    > registration codes.
    >
    > http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml
    >
    > mario

    All over now!

    ==
    No more free drinks!

    Cheers guys, it was a blast! Millions of people (literally) got their free
    registration code at our party, but the offer is now over.

    But don't despair - you can still get Opera for free by joining our
    affiliate program. Just put an Opera-button on your webpage, get 250 people
    to click it, and you're home free!

    Affiliate Program

    « Back to the party!
    ==
    --
    RdM
    RdM, Sep 1, 2005
  15. mario

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:46:37 +1200, Fran <>
    wrote:

    >wogers nemesis wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:33:21 +1200, mario wrote:
    >>
    >>> Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday today and is giving away free
    >>> registration codes.
    >>>
    >>> http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml
    >>>
    >>> mario

    >> meanwhile Firefox is just always free...

    >And slow.
    >

    >If Opera wasn't out there I would be using Firefox no question.
    >But after using both I keep using Opera it's just snappier and smoother.

    I think where Fiorefox slows down is with the extensions installed.
    With no extensions it is fast.
    GraB, Sep 1, 2005
  16. In article <>,
    says...

    > I think where Fiorefox slows down is with the extensions installed.
    > With no extensions it is fast.

    Faster'n Opera on my system, believe it or not. :)

    I have a problem with Opera: it doesn't like my Java install, O. crashes
    when I try to mess with the Opera settings because, it thinks, some java
    ..dll on my system is "not a valid image".

    Anyone know what java installation is required for Opera? I have Sun
    java2 runtimes installed here v. 1.4.2_x I believe.

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Sep 1, 2005
  17. mario

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 22:50:42 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I think where Fiorefox slows down is with the extensions installed.
    >> With no extensions it is fast.
    >>

    >Faster'n Opera on my system, believe it or not. :)
    >
    >I have a problem with Opera: it doesn't like my Java install, O. crashes
    >when I try to mess with the Opera settings because, it thinks, some java
    >.dll on my system is "not a valid image".
    >
    >Anyone know what java installation is required for Opera? I have Sun
    >java2 runtimes installed here v. 1.4.2_x I believe.
    >
    >cheers, -Peter

    I had 1.4 but have the latest version now. No java problems. I fully
    got rid of any MS version of java, deleted v1.4** and installed the
    latest.
    GraB, Sep 1, 2005
  18. mario

    Fran Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:46:37 +1200, Fran <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>wogers nemesis wrote:

    >>> meanwhile Firefox is just always free...

    >>And slow.
    >>

    >>If Opera wasn't out there I would be using Firefox no question.
    >>But after using both I keep using Opera it's just snappier and smoother.
    >>

    > I think where Fiorefox slows down is with the extensions installed.
    > With no extensions it is fast.

    I have no extensions installed.
    It just dosn't feel snappy when clicking on menus etc as though it's not
    redrawing quickly enough.

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Sep 1, 2005
  19. mario

    Fran Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I think where Fiorefox slows down is with the extensions installed.
    >> With no extensions it is fast.
    >>

    > Faster'n Opera on my system, believe it or not. :)
    >
    > I have a problem with Opera: it doesn't like my Java install, O. crashes
    > when I try to mess with the Opera settings because, it thinks, some java
    > .dll on my system is "not a valid image".
    >
    > Anyone know what java installation is required for Opera? I have Sun
    > java2 runtimes installed here v. 1.4.2_x I believe.
    >
    > cheers, -Peter

    No problems with Blackdown-1.4.2-02

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Sep 1, 2005
  20. mario

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:44:03 +1200, Fran <>
    wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:46:37 +1200, Fran <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>And slow.
    >>>

    >>>If Opera wasn't out there I would be using Firefox no question.
    >>>But after using both I keep using Opera it's just snappier and smoother.
    >>>

    >> I think where Fiorefox slows down is with the extensions installed.
    >> With no extensions it is fast.

    >I have no extensions installed.
    >It just dosn't feel snappy when clicking on menus etc as though it's not
    >redrawing quickly enough.

    It seemed snappy enough for me on Win98SE on Duron 1100. Perhaps a
    full uninstall and reinstall is needed.
    GraB, Sep 1, 2005