Free Program to Record Streaming Audio/Video in Windows Media Player?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kyle :o\), Aug 7, 2007.

  1. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    Tomorrow on my favourite radio station - which also broadcasts via streaming
    audio through Windows Media Player - there is going to be an interview I
    want to record and save to share with a friend who cannot tune in to hear
    it. I once read a long time ago that there are several free programs that
    you can use that will "monitor" for any streaming signals comng into your
    system and begin making a recording of them until you tell it to stop - then
    you can save it as a WAV or other media format.

    Can anyone help with some names of these programs? I've even heard that
    some can record the audio from an audio & video feed, such as a live
    program. I'd love to try this for the coming hockey season too.

    Thanks!

    --
    Kyle :eek:)

    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
    Kyle :o\), Aug 7, 2007

  2. Kyle :o\)

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Mon, 6 Aug 2007 21:48:22 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Kyle :eek:) Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    > Tomorrow on my favourite radio station - which also broadcasts via streaming
    > audio through Windows Media Player - there is going to be an interview I
    > want to record and save to share with a friend who cannot tune in to hear
    > it. I once read a long time ago that there are several free programs that
    > you can use that will "monitor" for any streaming signals comng into your
    > system and begin making a recording of them until you tell it to stop - then
    > you can save it as a WAV or other media format.
    >
    > Can anyone help with some names of these programs? I've even heard that
    > some can record the audio from an audio & video feed, such as a live
    > program. I'd love to try this for the coming hockey season too.
    >
    > Thanks!

    You might find something here:
    http://all-streaming-media.com/record-audio-stream/
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Aug 7, 2007

  3. Kyle :o\)

    Daave Guest

    Kyle :eek:) wrote:
    > Tomorrow on my favourite radio station - which also broadcasts via
    > streaming audio through Windows Media Player - there is going to be
    > an interview I want to record and save to share with a friend who
    > cannot tune in to hear it. I once read a long time ago that there
    > are several free programs that you can use that will "monitor" for
    > any streaming signals comng into your system and begin making a
    > recording of them until you tell it to stop - then you can save it as
    > a WAV or other media format.
    >
    > Can anyone help with some names of these programs? I've even heard
    > that some can record the audio from an audio & video feed, such as a
    > live program. I'd love to try this for the coming hockey season too.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Streaming Download Project:
    http://sdp.ppona.com/
    Daave, Aug 7, 2007
  4. Kyle :o\)

    Tony Guest

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:48:22 -0400, Kyle :eek:) wrote:

    > Tomorrow on my favourite radio station - which also broadcasts via streaming
    > audio through Windows Media Player - there is going to be an interview I
    > want to record and save to share with a friend who cannot tune in to hear
    > it. I once read a long time ago that there are several free programs that
    > you can use that will "monitor" for any streaming signals comng into your
    > system and begin making a recording of them until you tell it to stop - then
    > you can save it as a WAV or other media format.
    >
    > Can anyone help with some names of these programs? I've even heard that
    > some can record the audio from an audio & video feed, such as a live
    > program. I'd love to try this for the coming hockey season too.
    >
    > Thanks!

    audacity
    I've never tried it with streaming audio, but I think it will record
    anything playing on your computer. Audacity is free, open source software
    for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft
    Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.

    Anyway it is a great program. I have used it to covert music on video I
    have saved from youtube, as well as old vinyl records and audio tapes to
    MP3.
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    Tony, Aug 7, 2007
  5. Kyle :o\)

    Guest

    Tony <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:48:22 -0400, Kyle :eek:) wrote:
    >
    >> Tomorrow on my favourite radio station - which also broadcasts via streaming
    >> audio through Windows Media Player - there is going to be an interview I
    >> want to record and save to share with a friend who cannot tune in to hear
    >> it. I once read a long time ago that there are several free programs that
    >> you can use that will "monitor" for any streaming signals comng into your
    >> system and begin making a recording of them until you tell it to stop - then
    >> you can save it as a WAV or other media format.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help with some names of these programs? I've even heard that
    >> some can record the audio from an audio & video feed, such as a live
    >> program. I'd love to try this for the coming hockey season too.
    >>

    >audacity
    >I've never tried it with streaming audio, but I think it will record
    >anything playing on your computer. Audacity is free, open source software
    >for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft
    >Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.
    >
    >Anyway it is a great program. I have used it to covert music on video I
    >have saved from youtube, as well as old vinyl records and audio tapes to
    >MP3.
    > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    To add, If audacity records what plays, use VLC to stream the
    broadcast http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ (under File, Open network
    stream)

    --
    Can you tell what this is suppose to be?
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1238/1020580663_c50f9652ae_b.jpg
  6. Kyle :o\)

    Tester Guest

    On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 21:48:22 -0400, "Kyle :eek:\)"
    <> wrote:

    >Tomorrow on my favourite radio station - which also broadcasts via streaming
    >audio through Windows Media Player - there is going to be an interview I
    >want to record and save to share with a friend who cannot tune in to hear
    >it. I once read a long time ago that there are several free programs that
    >you can use that will "monitor" for any streaming signals comng into your
    >system and begin making a recording of them until you tell it to stop - then
    >you can save it as a WAV or other media format.
    >
    >Can anyone help with some names of these programs? I've even heard that
    >some can record the audio from an audio & video feed, such as a live
    >program. I'd love to try this for the coming hockey season too.
    >
    >Thanks!

    There's High Criteria's Total Recorder but that has to be paid for to
    work correctly. (I believe if it's not registered it inserts annoying
    sounds.)

    There are several programs which will download Real Audio or Windows
    Media Protocol directly including Mass Downloader (30 days trial), Net
    Transfer (shareware), and Streamworks VCR (cracked and patched beta -
    the company was sued by Real and went out of business so there's no
    one to collect the money or to work on the program to make it work
    with newer servers.

    I believe there may be some open source programs which work with mms
    (Windows Media Player)

    Of course, the easiest is when you have something like an HTTP/MP3
    stream. There you can just use a file download program. Linux open
    source programs like Wget and Curl and their Windows ports work
    perfectly well for an HTTP stream.
    Tester, Aug 7, 2007