    I am having terrible trouble with pop ups on my internet connection. Can
    someone please suggest the best free pop up killer I can download, I'm using
    IE6.TIA

    PWB, Mar 5, 2004

  2. PWB

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Mar 5, 2004

  3. > I am having terrible trouble with pop ups on my internet connection. Can

    http://www.mozilla.org/

    Alexander Rogge, Mar 5, 2004
  4. PWB

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    "PWB" <> wrote in

    > I am having terrible trouble with pop ups on my internet connection. Can
    > someone please suggest the best free pop up killer I can download, I'm
    > using IE6.TIA

    There are 3 potential sources of pop-ups. Messenger pop-ups are one, the
    other is spyware and the last would be web-based pop-ups. Here are some
    links to help with each.

    Messenger pop-ups:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;330904
    http://www.stopmessengerspam.com/ (don't bother downloading the software
    just read the appropriate section for your operating system)

    Spyware:

    http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=39275,00.asp

    I use Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Browser web pop-ups. These are windows that pop-up or under your browser
    window while surfing.

    I can recommend Free Surfer mk II (works with IE):

    http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen//FS/Download.htm

    Also Google Toolbar has a pop-up stopper:

    http://toolbar.google.com/

    I am currently using Avant Browser which is a shell for IE and offers a
    built in pop-up stopper and a LOT more:

    http://www.avantbrowser.com/

    Fuzzy Logic, Mar 5, 2004
  5. PWB

    PWB Guest

    When using Mozilla is there anyway a web site I visit can be sent as a link
    in Mozilla or is there another way to send a web page? TIA

    PWB, Mar 5, 2004
  6. PWB

    jils Guest

    www.crazybrowser.com

    since using it, it's blocked 340 popups for me ...

    jils, Mar 5, 2004
  7. > When using Mozilla is there anyway a web site I visit can be sent as a link
    > in Mozilla or is there another way to send a web page?

    "File | Send Link..."

    You can also send a copy of the page with "File | Send Page...".

    Alexander Rogge, Mar 5, 2004
  8. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Thanks

    PWB, Mar 5, 2004
  9. Go to Google and get their free Toolbar. It includes the best popup stopper
    I've ever come across.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
    Problems with your current host?

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Mar 5, 2004
  10. Zone Alarm PRO

    --Rich

    Richard Barnes, Mar 6, 2004
  11. PWB

    Nathan Guest

    If you use File...Send Page...

    Be prepared for trouble If you send it to HoTMaiL it will say that it is
    a security risk and delete it...

    Nathan, Mar 6, 2004
  12. PWB

    Nathan Guest

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:

    > Go to Google and get their free Toolbar. It includes the best popup stopper
    > I've ever come across.

    ALta Vista also...Never had one slip through yet

    Nathan, Mar 6, 2004
  13. PWB

    John Holmes Guest

    PWB came up with this:

    > I am having terrible trouble with pop ups on my internet connection.
    > Can someone please suggest the best free pop up killer I can download,
    > I'm using IE6.TIA

    www.panicware.com offers a nice free pop-up stopper. I don't know if it is
    the best, but I like it. No pop-ups anymore whilst browsing the web.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    John Holmes, Mar 6, 2004
  14. PWB

    Penna Elabi Guest

    Penna Elabi, Mar 6, 2004
  15. If you can live without javascript, then you can get rid of about 70
    percent of them right away.

    Wyatt M. Portendt, Mar 7, 2004
  16. Agnitum's Outpost firewall. Blocks more than popups. Will give you an
    EXCELLENT application AND rules-based firewall and EXCELLENT active
    content blocking (includes ads, email attachments, scripts, referrers,
    etc.) ALL of which can be allowed or denied site by site as you wish or
    in total.

    It's free, but the pro version allows configurations you can change on
    the fly to have as many security settings as anyone could possibly want
    for a VERY reasonable price. I've been using it for two years now and
    it has stopped the crap dead in its tracks. Took me a little while to
    set everything up, but now I don't even think about it anymore.

    Here's the link for the download page.

    http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpost1.html

    If you want the free version, click old version. Does most the same
    things, only has simpler, more general logging and no frills. All the
    guts are the same, though. In all the time I've used it (and I believe
    I've tried them all) it's given me less trouble, has been more effective
    and has more features than any security software I've used.

    Wyatt M. Portendt, Mar 7, 2004