FREE photo management (and editing) software...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by muso, Aug 21, 2006.

  1. muso

    muso Guest

    muso, Aug 21, 2006

  2. muso

    muso Guest

    1. Advertising

  3. muso

    muso Guest

    muso, Aug 21, 2006
  4. muso

    Paul Allen Guest

    On 20 Aug 2006 23:18:34 -0700
    "muso" <> wrote:

    > What free software for photo managing and some editing is BEST?
    >
    > I found some review here:
    >

    > http://re.awarded.in/re/photo-editing-management-software-review.html
    >

    > What you think about it and what soft use you for photo managing?

    Not useful. They're all aimed at the monopoly platform.

    If I were starting out today, I'd probably go with F-Spot. When the
    Linux port of Picasa becomes available, it may be an option. As
    it is, the perl/Tk script I've been polishing for five years comes
    closer to doing exactly what I want than anything I've seen.

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Aug 21, 2006
  5. muso

    muso Guest

    Picasa for Linux (and Windows) is free and I think that is the best
    solution at now...

    muso, Aug 22, 2006
  6. muso

    Paul Allen Guest

    On 22 Aug 2006 00:17:17 -0700
    "muso" <> wrote:

    > Picasa for Linux (and Windows) is free and I think that is the best
    > solution at now...

    I looked yesterday, and the version that will run under Wine on Linux
    is apparently not available yet. If you know otherwise, please tell
    us where to download it.

    In any event, "free" does not automatically beat something that
    currently satisfies my needs. It has to be significantly better
    in nearly every aspect to justify converting my existing database.

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Aug 22, 2006
  7. muso

    David Bolt Guest

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Paul Allen <>
    wrote:-

    >On 22 Aug 2006 00:17:17 -0700
    >"muso" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Picasa for Linux (and Windows) is free and I think that is the best
    >> solution at now...

    >I looked yesterday, and the version that will run under Wine on Linux
    >is apparently not available yet. If you know otherwise, please tell
    >us where to download it.

    Does it have to run under Wine? If not, there's a native Linux version
    here:

    <URL:http://picasa.google.com/linux/>

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    AMD1800 1Gb WinXP/SUSE 9.3 | AMD2400 256Mb SuSE 9.0 | A3010 4Mb RISCOS 3.11
    David Bolt, Aug 22, 2006
  8. muso

    David Bolt Guest

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, David Bolt <> committed the
    almost un-pardonable sin of a self follow-up:-

    >On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Paul Allen <>
    >wrote:-
    >
    >>On 22 Aug 2006 00:17:17 -0700
    >>"muso" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Picasa for Linux (and Windows) is free and I think that is the best
    >>> solution at now...

    >>I looked yesterday, and the version that will run under Wine on Linux
    >>is apparently not available yet. If you know otherwise, please tell
    >>us where to download it.

    >Does it have to run under Wine? If not, there's a native Linux version
    >here:

    Okay, before someone nit-picks. It does run under a version of Wine
    that Google have tweaked a bit.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    David Bolt, Aug 22, 2006