Free (or inexpensive) audio conferencing software for 12 or so people

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Tony Toews, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews Guest

    Folks

    I just got shanghaied to be an executive board with members
    geographically dispersed throughout the province. Currently they are
    using a phone patch system but permission is a bit hazy and it only
    has 8 ports. A bit tricky with 12 members. Currently many of the
    members who are in the same city gather at someone's house and use a
    speaker phone there. But that doesn't always work.

    MSN only allows four people to be in an audio conversation. Anyone
    know of any software, preferably free or inexpensive, which allows up to 12 people or
    so?

    I think pretty much everyone would have high speed Internet.

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    read the entire thread of messages.

    Tony Toews, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Tony Toews

    shido xavier Guest

    Re: Free (or inexpensive) audio conferencing software for 12 or sopeople

    Tony Toews wrote:
    > Folks
    >
    > I just got shanghaied to be an executive board with members
    > geographically dispersed throughout the province. Currently they are
    > using a phone patch system but permission is a bit hazy and it only
    > has 8 ports. A bit tricky with 12 members. Currently many of the
    > members who are in the same city gather at someone's house and use a
    > speaker phone there. But that doesn't always work.
    >
    > MSN only allows four people to be in an audio conversation. Anyone
    > know of any software, preferably free or inexpensive, which allows up to 12 people or
    > so?
    >
    > I think pretty much everyone would have high speed Internet.
    >
    > Tony

    Get a spare PC, PIII or better with 256 megs of ram and a decent size HD
    30, or 40 if you want to record the "meetings" and run Asterisk. You can
    have everyone use a softphone like xlite and dial into the box
    remotely and join a conference room.

    If you can supply the high speed internet (1meg or better) and a spare
    pc, I'll walk you through the configuration here in the newsgroup.

    -sx

    IM:

    shido xavier, Feb 23, 2006

  3. Tony Toews

    J Bade Guest

    I looked on the Microsoft Reseach Labs site and found they have some
    new Video Conference software. You can use it to VOIP conference if
    you don't want the extra whiteboad. video and presence detection.
    It's actually aimed at Education and teachers, anyone can use
    it....oh and it's free :) And it's open source ..and it from
    Microsoft.. Hmmmm Open source and free and from MS :)

    So we may test it for the school :)
    It better than Convoq.

    It seems to be Firewall friendly too.
    ConferenceXP uses the following ports:

    TCP Port 80
    UDP Port 5004 UDP Port 5005
    --- l hope these UDP protocol ports aren't blocked. UDP portocol is
    usually opened 'dynamically' by firewalls.(That means opens and closes
    as requested by the appliation for example ConferenceXP.

    http://www.conferencexp.net and goto Downloads to get it...have a
    read first.

    Cheers

    Outback Computers
    -converging communications and computer technologies

    27-31 Munster Terrace, North Melbourne Australia

    J Bade, Feb 26, 2006
  4. Tony Toews

    babatinfo

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Quality web conferencing services can never be free though. You may want to check GoMeetNow which costs only at $12.95/month, next to free.

    babatinfo, Oct 11, 2012