Free Or Cheap OCR Software For Scanned PDF Pages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Dec 24, 2007.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I receive a monthly document, about 150 pages long, whose file extension is
    pdf.

    Adobe Reader's Find function can't locate any words within it.

    When I spoke with the person who sent it to me, he indicated that the
    document consisted of scanned pages, and that Adobe Reader's Find function
    would be useless.

    He does not have the original document that could possibly be converted into
    a true PDF.

    Rather than printing a monthly document of 150 pages or so, is there any
    *free* or relatively inexpensive OCR software that I could use to convert
    the document into a readable format?

    As always, I very much appreciate all assistance offered in this NG.

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin, Dec 24, 2007

  2. Martin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > I receive a monthly document, about 150 pages long, whose file
    > extension is pdf.
    >
    > Adobe Reader's Find function can't locate any words within it.
    >
    > When I spoke with the person who sent it to me, he indicated that the
    > document consisted of scanned pages, and that Adobe Reader's Find
    > function would be useless.
    >
    > He does not have the original document that could possibly be
    > converted into a true PDF.

    Some .pdf 'documents' are simply graphics of a scan like a .gif or .png
    which do not contain any text, just graphic pixels.

    > Rather than printing a monthly document of 150 pages or so, is there
    > any *free* or relatively inexpensive OCR software that I could use to
    > convert the document into a readable format?

    The last time this discussion about a particular .pdf came up in the ng
    alt.comp.freeware a.c.f., the discussant posted a link to the actual
    ..pdf and the resolution of the target was so poor that I didn't think
    that OCR would be able to read the text. However, that was a copy of a
    19th century newspaper article.

    The most recent discussion of freeware OCR in a.c.f was this one
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt....3d046cd72e/5a5083f7d34966d1?#5a5083f7d34966d1
    or http://snipr.com/1vrld

    <snip>
    Subject: Ocr software
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
    Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:01:53 -0500

    is there any excellent freeware ocr application ?
    </snip>

    That discussion resulted in quite a number of suggestions and links,
    including the fact that besides the freeware available for download,
    most scanners come with an OCR program, sometimes of fairly good
    quality, sometimes not.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 24, 2007

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Re: Free Or Cheap OCR Software - New Question About Excel

    Hello Mike,

    Thank you very much for your reply.

    I'll be trying some of the software in question; I hope that at least one
    will be able to read a "fake" pdf file.

    With regard to Excel spreadsheets, perhaps you or other NG readers can
    assist me.

    I converted many HTML pages from the same site into Excel. One HTML page =
    one Excel page.

    Is there a way to import or merge the pages so that, rather than having many
    of them, I can have only one, regardless of length?

    If it's relevant, I have Excel 2002 and the format of each HTML page is
    identical to all others on the site.

    Once again, thank you for any assistance offered.

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin, Dec 26, 2007