    "free" WIFI at the other places (i.e. the library).i

    I wish I could find out how to keep the Optimum WIFI from invaiding my
    PC!!
    p4o2, Sep 2, 2010

  2. p4o2

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 10:53:19 -0700, p4o2 wrote:

    > When I take my laptop to the library Optimum WIFI "grabs" my connection
    > instead of the library connection. Since I am an Optimum customer I have
    > tried to log on without success.
    >
    > Optimum tells me that I have to pay for WIFI from my home to get the
    > "free" WIFI at the other places (i.e. the library).i
    >
    > I wish I could find out how to keep the Optimum WIFI from invaiding my
    > PC!!

    Well since you don't mention your operating system or method by which you
    pc selects access points there's not much help to be had.

    Meat Plow, Sep 2, 2010

  3. p4o2

    Mike Easter Guest

    p4o2 wrote:
    > When I take my laptop to the library Optimum WIFI "grabs" my
    > connection instead of the library connection. Since I am an Optimum
    > customer I have tried to log on without success.

    Your headers look like you are XP.

    Your wifi connection utility might be a 3rd party related to your wifi
    hardware software driver installation or it might be XP's.

    An important configuration is the Windows Zero Configuration setting.

    If you go to the CP Network connections and open the Wireless network
    connection, in the General tab there is a View Wireless Networks function.

    That function will tell you if windows is the configurator. If a 3rd
    party is operational, it will say 'windows cannot configure this
    wireless connection - if you have enabled another program to configure
    this wireless connection, use that software' and further instructions
    how to enabled windows to configure.

    If you are going to be choosing your wireless connection, you need to
    have control of that.

    Depending on the interface, you may see a window whose titlebar says
    Wireless Network Connection and the R panel says 'Choose a Wireless
    Network' with the choices displayed below.

    > Optimum tells me that I have to pay for WIFI from my home to get the
    > "free" WIFI at the other places (i.e. the library).i

    If the library has a free AP accesspoint use that, not Optimum.

    > I wish I could find out how to keep the Optimum WIFI from invaiding my
    > PC!!

    You need to configure to be able to choose and also to be able to
    refresh the network list.

    This is a useful troubleshooting article even if it says SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702/en-us?FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH How to
    troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 2, 2010
  4. p4o2

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > This is a useful troubleshooting article even if it says SP2
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702/en-us?FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH How to
    > troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2

    Disregard that. It is a useful troubleshooting article, but not for this
    problem.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 2, 2010
  5. p4o2

    Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 10:53:19 -0700, p4o2 wrote:

    > When I take my laptop to the library Optimum WIFI "grabs" my connection
    > instead of the library connection. Since I am an Optimum customer I have
    > tried to log on without success.
    >
    > Optimum tells me that I have to pay for WIFI from my home to get the
    > "free" WIFI at the other places (i.e. the library).i
    >
    > I wish I could find out how to keep the Optimum WIFI from invaiding my
    > PC!!

    Sounds like you need to format your hard drive.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he inhaled.
    Dan C, Sep 3, 2010
  6. p4o2 wrote:
    > When I take my laptop to the library Optimum WIFI "grabs" my
    > connection instead of the library connection. Since I am an Optimum
    > customer I have tried to log on without success.
    >
    > Optimum tells me that I have to pay for WIFI from my home to get the
    > "free" WIFI at the other places (i.e. the library).i
    >
    > I wish I could find out how to keep the Optimum WIFI from invaiding my
    > PC!!

    Hi, dig through the software that controls your wireless, should have
    a settings to see the access points and connect to those.
    monkeywintest, Sep 3, 2010
  7. p4o2

    p4o2 Guest

    On Sep 2, 2:25 pm, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    > p4o2 wrote:
    > > When I take my laptop to the library Optimum WIFI "grabs" my
    > > connection instead of the library connection. Since I am an Optimum
    > > customer I have tried to log on without success.

    > Your headers look like you are XP.
    >
    > Your wifi connection utility might be a 3rd party related to your wifi
    > hardware software driver installation or it might be XP's.
    >
    > An important configuration is the Windows Zero Configuration setting.
    >
    > If you go to the CP Network connections and open the Wireless network
    > connection, in the General tab there is a View Wireless Networks function..
    >
    > That function will tell you if windows is the configurator. If a 3rd
    > party is operational, it will say 'windows cannot configure this
    > wireless connection - if you have enabled another program to configure
    > this wireless connection, use that software' and further instructions
    > how to enabled windows to configure.
    >
    > If you are going to be choosing your wireless connection, you need to
    > have control of that.
    >
    > Depending on the interface, you may see a window whose titlebar says
    > Wireless Network Connection and the R panel says 'Choose a Wireless
    > Network' with the choices displayed below.
    >
    > > Optimum tells me that I have to pay for WIFI from my home to get the
    > > "free" WIFI at the other places (i.e. the library).i

    > If the library has a free AP accesspoint use that, not Optimum.
    >
    > > I wish I could find out how to keep the Optimum WIFI from invaiding my
    > > PC!!

    > You need to configure to be able to choose and also to be able to
    > refresh the network list.
    >
    > This is a useful troubleshooting article even if it says SP2http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702/en-us?FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH How to
    > troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    I am on a DEll using XP. I can use the Dell software or Windows to
    get on the Libary AP but I do not want to have Optimum try to connect
    me first. Not a big deal, just a pain. Optimum did show on the Dell
    list (and I deleted it) but it does not show on Window's list?
    p4o2, Sep 3, 2010
  8. p4o2

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 06:11:48 -0700, p4o2 wrote:

    > On Sep 2, 2:25 pm, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    >> p4o2 wrote:
    >> > When I take my laptop to the library Optimum WIFI "grabs" my
    >> > connection instead of the library connection. Since I am an Optimum
    >> > customer I have tried to log on without success.

    >> Your headers look like you are XP.
    >>
    >> Your wifi connection utility might be a 3rd party related to your wifi
    >> hardware software driver installation or it might be XP's.
    >>
    >> An important configuration is the Windows Zero Configuration setting.
    >>
    >> If you go to the CP Network connections and open the Wireless network
    >> connection, in the General tab there is a View Wireless Networks
    >> function.
    >>
    >> That function will tell you if windows is the configurator. If a 3rd
    >> party is operational, it will say 'windows cannot configure this
    >> wireless connection - if you have enabled another program to configure
    >> this wireless connection, use that software' and further instructions
    >> how to enabled windows to configure.
    >>
    >> If you are going to be choosing your wireless connection, you need to
    >> have control of that.
    >>
    >> Depending on the interface, you may see a window whose titlebar says
    >> Wireless Network Connection and the R panel says 'Choose a Wireless
    >> Network' with the choices displayed below.
    >>
    >> > Optimum tells me that I have to pay for WIFI from my home to get the
    >> > "free" WIFI at the other places (i.e. the library).i

    >> If the library has a free AP accesspoint use that, not Optimum.
    >>
    >> > I wish I could find out how to keep the Optimum WIFI from invaiding
    >> > my PC!!

    >> You need to configure to be able to choose and also to be able to
    >> refresh the network list.
    >>
    >> This is a useful troubleshooting article even if it says
    >> SP2http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702/en-us?FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH How
    >> to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack
    >> 2
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    > I am on a DEll using XP. I can use the Dell software or Windows to get
    > on the Libary AP but I do not want to have Optimum try to connect me
    > first. Not a big deal, just a pain. Optimum did show on the Dell list
    > (and I deleted it) but it does not show on Window's list?

    Disable Windows Wireless Zero Configuration if you are using the wireless
    adapter software to manage your connections. Running both will cause
    these conflicts. Use one or the other, not both.

    http://tech.ifelix.net/2000.html

    Meat Plow, Sep 3, 2010
  9. p4o2

    Mike Easter Guest

    p4o2 wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> Your wifi connection utility might be a 3rd party related to your wifi
    >> hardware software driver installation or it might be XP's.
    >>
    >> An important configuration is the Windows Zero Configuration setting.

    > I am on a DEll using XP.

    Many Dells use the Intel PRO wireless interface.

    > I can use the Dell software or Windows to
    > get on the Libary AP but I do not want to have Optimum try to connect
    > me first. Not a big deal, just a pain. Optimum did show on the Dell
    > list (and I deleted it) but it does not show on Window's list?

    You can disable the Win Zero Configuration function and configure to use
    the IntelPRO.

    Here is a .pdf manual for the IntelPRO. See page 4
    ftp://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/3945abgug.pdf

    <q> Use Intel PROSet/Wireless as your Wireless Manager ... To disable
    Microsoft Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration as your wireless
    manager: </q>

    That section also tells you how to have the IntelPRO notify you when the
    XP WZC starts.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 3, 2010
  10. p4o2

    p4o2 Guest

    On Sep 3, 10:45 am, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    > p4o2 wrote:
    > > Mike Easter
    > >> Your wifi connection utility might be a 3rd party related to your wifi
    > >> hardware software driver installation or it might be XP's.

    > >> An important configuration is the Windows Zero Configuration setting.

    > > I am on a DEll using XP.

    > Many Dells use the Intel PRO wireless interface.
    >
    > > I can use the Dell software or Windows to
    > > get on the Libary AP but I do not want to have Optimum try to connect
    > > me first. Not a big deal, just a pain. Optimum did show on the Dell
    > > list (and I deleted it) but it does not show on Window's list?

    > You can disable the Win Zero Configuration function and configure to use
    > the IntelPRO.
    >
    > Here is a .pdf manual for the IntelPRO. See page 4ftp://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/3945abgug.pdf
    >
    > <q> Use Intel PROSet/Wireless as your Wireless Manager ... To disable
    > Microsoft Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration as your wireless
    > manager: </q>
    >
    > That section also tells you how to have the IntelPRO notify you when the
    > XP WZC starts.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    OK On my trip to the library today... No potimum...

    Looks like I got rid of it by takeing it out of the Dell list.

    So Dell is my WIFI link not Windows.

    Thanks for the replies.

    ....Does the guy who said to reformat the hard drive say this all the
    time?
    p4o2, Sep 4, 2010
  11. p4o2

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 11:47:35 -0700, p4o2 wrote:

    > On Sep 3, 10:45 am, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    >> p4o2 wrote:
    >> > Mike Easter

    >> > I am on a DEll using XP.

    >> Many Dells use the Intel PRO wireless interface.
    >>
    >> > I can use the Dell software or Windows to get on the Libary AP but I
    >> > do not want to have Optimum try to connect me first. Not a big deal,
    >> > just a pain. Optimum did show on the Dell list (and I deleted it) but
    >> > it does not show on Window's list?

    >> You can disable the Win Zero Configuration function and configure to
    >> use the IntelPRO.
    >>
    >> Here is a .pdf manual for the IntelPRO. See page
    >> 4ftp://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/3945abgug.pdf
    >>
    >> <q> Use Intel PROSet/Wireless as your Wireless Manager ... To disable
    >> Microsoft Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration as your wireless
    >> manager: </q>
    >>
    >> That section also tells you how to have the IntelPRO notify you when
    >> the XP WZC starts.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    > OK On my trip to the library today... No potimum...
    >
    > Looks like I got rid of it by takeing it out of the Dell list.
    >
    > So Dell is my WIFI link not Windows.
    >
    > Thanks for the replies.
    >
    > ...Does the guy who said to reformat the hard drive say this all the
    > time?

    Yes, he's been punched out in this news group so many times he just
    babbles the same thing over and over. Just feel sorry for him and ignore
    the babble unless you feel like whacking him a few times yourself. He'll
    reply with "Windroid" or some goof-azzed shit like that. Glad you got it
    figured out. Been there done that until I realized I had two processes
    trying to manage my multiple wireless connections.

    Meat Plow, Sep 4, 2010