  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Anyone have any recommendations as to sites for this?
    Gordon, Jul 5, 2007

  2. Gordon wrote:
    > Anyone have any recommendations as to sites for this?

    Why would you want to store valuable data on a free site? Is the price
    of hard disks way too high for you to afford?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 5, 2007

  3. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> Anyone have any recommendations as to sites for this?

    > Why would you want to store valuable data on a free site? Is the price of
    > hard disks way too high for you to afford?

    Yes as it happens - rip-off Britain. (It's only for a backup of my
    backups.......)
    Gordon, Jul 5, 2007
  4. Gordon wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anyone have any recommendations as to sites for this?

    >>Why would you want to store valuable data on a free site? Is the price of
    >>hard disks way too high for you to afford?
    >>

    > Yes as it happens - rip-off Britain. (It's only for a backup of my
    > backups.......)

    For chrissakes, I can send you a 40GB hard drive if you just pay the
    postage. Storage isn't just cheap, it's ridiculous.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 5, 2007
  5. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>>Why would you want to store valuable data on a free site? Is the price of
    >>>hard disks way too high for you to afford?
    >>>

    >> Yes as it happens - rip-off Britain. (It's only for a backup of my
    >> backups.......)

    > For chrissakes, I can send you a 40GB hard drive if you just pay the
    > postage. Storage isn't just cheap, it's ridiculous.

    Thanks for the offer - I did have a Firewire 80GB external HDD which failed
    after only two years so I'm a bit dubious about storing data on local HDDs -
    hence the online storage of copies of my backups. (Yes I know THEY'LL be on
    a hard drive too, but hopefully the company operating it uses RAID or some
    other disk failure-resistant setup...)
    Gordon, Jul 5, 2007
  6. Gordon wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>>Yes as it happens - rip-off Britain. (It's only for a backup of my
    >>>backups.......)

    >>For chrissakes, I can send you a 40GB hard drive if you just pay the
    >>postage. Storage isn't just cheap, it's ridiculous.
    >>

    > Thanks for the offer - I did have a Firewire 80GB external HDD which failed
    > after only two years so I'm a bit dubious about storing data on local HDDs -
    > hence the online storage of copies of my backups. (Yes I know THEY'LL be on
    > a hard drive too, but hopefully the company operating it uses RAID or some
    > other disk failure-resistant setup...)

    Hey, one time I sort of knew this girl from Portugal online. She kept
    complaining about her computer was slow, I told her I'd send her a new
    one. She was sort of distant and acting like like oh yeah, that'll
    happen. One day she said "My mom said I have a package that was
    delivered". Guess what?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 5, 2007
  7. Gordon

    Mike Easter Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > I did have a Firewire 80GB external HDD which
    > failed after only two years so I'm a bit dubious about storing data
    > on local HDDs - hence the online storage of copies of my backups.
    > (Yes I know THEY'LL be on a hard drive too, but hopefully the company
    > operating it uses RAID or some other disk failure-resistant setup...)

    The issue about how to store or backup data depends in part on how much
    data we are talking about.

    Using the only number which has been mentioned so far, 80G; fetching
    80G worth of backup data from an online databank would be 'tedious'.
    Also not free.

    OTOH, if you only need a CD's worth of data, you could make several
    backups of backups on CDs.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 5, 2007
  8. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> I did have a Firewire 80GB external HDD which
    >> failed after only two years so I'm a bit dubious about storing data
    >> on local HDDs - hence the online storage of copies of my backups.
    >> (Yes I know THEY'LL be on a hard drive too, but hopefully the company
    >> operating it uses RAID or some other disk failure-resistant setup...)

    > The issue about how to store or backup data depends in part on how much
    > data we are talking about.
    >
    > Using the only number which has been mentioned so far, 80G; fetching
    > 80G worth of backup data from an online databank would be 'tedious'.
    > Also not free.
    >
    > OTOH, if you only need a CD's worth of data, you could make several
    > backups of backups on CDs.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    It's currently just on about 5GB.....
    Gordon, Jul 5, 2007
  9. On Jul 5, 5:41 am, "Gordon" <> wrote:
    > Anyone have any recommendations as to sites for this?

    http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/SearchEngines.html
    Search String "Free online data storage"

    Recommended Search Engines: Tables of Features
    Google has one of the largest databases of Web pages, including many
    other types of web documents (blog posts, wiki pages, group discussion
    threads and document formats (e.g., PDFs, Word or Excel documents,
    PowerPoints). Despite the presence of all these formats, Google's
    popularity ranking often makes pages worth looking at rise near the
    top of search results. Our new "Googling to the Max" course (when
    offered?) reflects our recognition that Google currently is the
    winning web search engine and so people need to learn to use it really
    well.

    Google alone is often not sufficient, however. Less than half the
    searchable Web is fully searchable in Google. Overlap studies show
    that about half of the pages in any search engine database exist only
    in that database. Getting a second opinion is therefore often worth
    your time. For a second opinion, we recommend Ask.com or Yahoo!
    Search. We no longer recommend using any meta-search engines.

    Features in common among the search engines we recommend. Search
    engines have become a little bit standardized, allowing us to use some
    of the same search techniques in all of them:

    Free online data storage Showing 1-10 of 11,500,000

    http://www.ask.com/web?q=Free online data storage&search=&qsrc=0&o=0&l=dir
    Michael Yardley, Jul 5, 2007
  10. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Michael Yardley" <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 5, 5:41 am, "Gordon" <> wrote:
    >> Anyone have any recommendations as to sites for this?

    > http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/SearchEngines.html
    > Search String "Free online data storage"

    Snip rubbish.

    Yes I KNOW how to search on google you dork - Google doesn't give personal
    recommendattions, which, if you read my original post, is what I'm after....
    Gordon, Jul 5, 2007
  11. Gordon

    Mike Easter Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> The issue about how to store or backup data depends in part on how
    >> much data we are talking about.

    > It's currently just on about 5GB.....

    Well, if you have a broadband connection, 5G wouldn't be bad, and there
    are plenty of places that would allow that much. Streamload will allow
    25G. http://www.streamload.com/default.aspx

    5G also isn't very much in CDs if you have a burner. 5G also isn't very
    much to 'sacrifice' on a different hdd if you have one lying around. It
    is pretty unlikely to irrecoverably lose data if it is backed on 2
    different hdd/s.

    With modest requirements like that, 5-10G, you could have all kinds of
    redundancy.

    One advantage of the online angle is that if there is some part of what
    you are storing that you want to share with someone, you can just give
    them access to it.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 5, 2007
  12. Gordon

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:26:21 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>>Why would you want to store valuable data on a free site? Is the price of
    >>>hard disks way too high for you to afford?
    >>>

    >> Yes as it happens - rip-off Britain. (It's only for a backup of my
    >> backups.......)

    > For chrissakes, I can send you a 40GB hard drive if you just pay the
    > postage. Storage isn't just cheap, it's ridiculous.

    For ****'S SAKE I've got a pair of slightly used 160 gig drive he can have
    and I'll pay the shipping :)
    Meat Plow, Jul 5, 2007
  13. Gordon

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:33:55 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes as it happens - rip-off Britain. (It's only for a backup of my
    >>> backups.......)

    >> For chrissakes, I can send you a 40GB hard drive if you just pay the
    >> postage. Storage isn't just cheap, it's ridiculous.
    >>

    > Thanks for the offer - I did have a Firewire 80GB external HDD which failed
    > after only two years so I'm a bit dubious about storing data on local HDDs -
    > hence the online storage of copies of my backups. (Yes I know THEY'LL be on
    > a hard drive too, but hopefully the company operating it uses RAID or some
    > other disk failure-resistant setup...)

    Copy valuable data from the internal disk to external. If either fails
    your safe. Highly improbable both would fail at the same time.
    Meat Plow, Jul 5, 2007
  14. Gordon

    JD Cantafio Guest

    http://www.xdrive.com/
    JD Cantafio, Jul 5, 2007
  15. Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:33:55 +0100, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>> For chrissakes, I can send you a 40GB hard drive if you just pay the
    >>> postage. Storage isn't just cheap, it's ridiculous.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the offer - I did have a Firewire 80GB external HDD which
    >> failed after only two years so I'm a bit dubious about storing data on
    >> local HDDs - hence the online storage of copies of my backups. (Yes I
    >> know THEY'LL be on a hard drive too, but hopefully the company
    >> operating it uses RAID or some other disk failure-resistant setup...)

    > Copy valuable data from the internal disk to external. If either fails
    > your safe. Highly improbable both would fail at the same time.

    Still a good idea to keep a copy stowed somewhere off-site :
    hurricanes, floods, tornados, fires, FBI raids, etc.

    --

    http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com/video2_view.shtml

    If: You've ever said "Clean air? Looks clean to me;" or
    or you fax the FBI a list of "Terrorists In My Neighborhood;"
    or you scream "Dit-dit-ditto" while making love...

    then, you *might* be a Conservative Right-Wing Republican!
    Bucky Breeder, Jul 5, 2007
  16. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns9964661E8B706DRiVEBYESLY@216.151.153.14...

    > FBI raids, etc.

    <VBG> !!!!
    Gordon, Jul 5, 2007
  17. Gordon

    Vanguard Guest

    "Gordon" wrote in message news:...
    > "Rôgêr" wrote ...
    >
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rôgêr" wrote ...

    >>> Yes as it happens - rip-off Britain. (It's only for a backup of my
    >>> backups.......)

    >> For chrissakes, I can send you a 40GB hard drive if you just pay the
    >> postage. Storage isn't just cheap, it's ridiculous.

    > Thanks for the offer - I did have a Firewire 80GB external HDD which
    > failed after only two years so I'm a bit dubious about storing data on
    > local HDDs - hence the online storage of copies of my backups. (Yes I
    > know THEY'LL be on a hard drive too, but hopefully the company
    > operating it uses RAID or some other disk failure-resistant setup...)

    And why *permanent* storage of valuable backups should not be retained
    solely on hard drives. If the mechanicals or PCB of the drive fail then
    you end up having to pay a lab to extract the data off the platters.
    Permanent storage should be on a medium that is separate of the
    mechanicals of the drive. Tape, CD, and DVD come to mind but also
    removable are platter hard drives (like the Zip and Jaz drive) although
    I've not used those. If you use magnetic media realize that it will
    need to be refreshed every 5 to 10 years (by rewriting every bit) due to
    gradual loss of retentivity (the dipoles will unalign).

    Yes, if the data is truly critical then having an on-site copy and an
    off-site copy is required. However, your backups would have to be
    pretty puny to fit them onto the tiny freebie online storage sites. If
    you are truly looking for off-site online storage then don't look at the
    freebies and decide on how much you are willing to pay, and realize that
    once you stop paying then you lose your secondary backups.

    Why not just make another copy of your backups on removable media and
    put them in a detached garage, at a friend's house, or leave them in
    your desk at work? Since they are off-site and if the information is
    sensitive then make sure they are password protected or encrypted (and,
    if encrypted, you have the means to decrypt them under a totally
    separate instance of the OS). Depending on how many years you want to
    store these backups, you may also want to store away a copy of the
    backup program and OS to make sure you still have them later for the
    data restores. Backups are worthless unless you have the program and OS
    on which it runs to do the restores.
    Vanguard, Jul 5, 2007
  18. Gordon

    Plato Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > Anyone have any recommendations as to sites for this?

    That's an odd question. Just backup to CD or DVD.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 5, 2007
  19. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:26:21 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:
    >

    >>Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>>Yes as it happens - rip-off Britain. (It's only for a backup of my
    >>>backups.......)

    >>For chrissakes, I can send you a 40GB hard drive if you just pay the
    >>postage. Storage isn't just cheap, it's ridiculous.

    > For ****'S SAKE I've got a pair of slightly used 160 gig drive he can have
    > and I'll pay the shipping :)

    Okay, we have a bid of two 160GB drives for free including shipping,
    who'll make it a terabyte and throw in a $100 bill?
    =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 6, 2007
  20. Gordon wrote:

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> I did have a Firewire 80GB external HDD which
    >>> failed after only two years so I'm a bit dubious about storing
    >>> data on local HDDs - hence the online storage of copies of my
    >>> backups. (Yes I know THEY'LL be on a hard drive too, but
    >>> hopefully the company operating it uses RAID or some other
    >>> disk failure-resistant setup...)

    >> The issue about how to store or backup data depends in part on
    >> how much data we are talking about.
    >>
    >> Using the only number which has been mentioned so far, 80G;
    >> fetching 80G worth of backup data from an online databank would
    >> be 'tedious'. Also not free.
    >>
    >> OTOH, if you only need a CD's worth of data, you could make
    >> several backups of backups on CDs.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Easter
    >>

    > It's currently just on about 5GB.....