    2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen to our
    "free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?

    Thx.

    Turandot, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Thus spaketh Turandot:
    > I have signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a free number but I am a bit
    > worried to give it to all the friends except some close ones. My
    > concerns are:
    > 1. Who issued these free numbers to sipgate, BT/NTL?
    > 2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen
    > to our "free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?
    >
    > Thx.

    The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies
    who issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them
    in the first place.

    There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
    would be a case of migrating to another provider.

    Caller ID units for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 7, 2006

  3. "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Thus spaketh Turandot:
    >> I have signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a free number but I am a bit
    >> worried to give it to all the friends except some close ones. My
    >> concerns are:
    >> 1. Who issued these free numbers to sipgate, BT/NTL?
    >> 2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen
    >> to our "free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?
    >>
    >> Thx.

    > The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies who
    > issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them in the
    > first place.
    >
    > There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
    > would be a case of migrating to another provider.
    >

    > --
    > DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
    > PAYG Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
    > Caller ID units for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    Do a Google on what happened when Atlantic Telecom went belly up in November
    2001. There is NO obligation on any other supplier to take on your number,
    it was weeks before some people had service restored!

    Peter

    Peter Andrews, Aug 7, 2006
  4. Turandot

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Peter Andrews wrote:
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Thus spaketh Turandot:
    >>> I have signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a free number but I am a bit
    >>> worried to give it to all the friends except some close ones. My
    >>> concerns are:
    >>> 1. Who issued these free numbers to sipgate, BT/NTL?
    >>> 2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen
    >>> to our "free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?

    >> The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies who
    >> issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them in the
    >> first place.
    >>
    >> There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
    >> would be a case of migrating to another provider.

    > Do a Google on what happened when Atlantic Telecom went belly up in November
    > 2001. There is NO obligation on any other supplier to take on your number,
    > it was weeks before some people had service restored!

    True, but the number would still be allocated to Magrathea (for example)
    and so another company could potentially take it up fairly easily (as
    opposed to the case that the range holder or the company hosting the
    range goes belly up).

    Paul Cupis, Aug 7, 2006
  5. Peter Andrews wrote:

    > Do a Google on what happened when Atlantic Telecom went belly up in November
    > 2001. There is NO obligation on any other supplier to take on your number,
    > it was weeks before some people had service restored!

    Remember it well - I wonder what procedures Oftel and now Ofcom have in
    place to prevent the inevitable repeat?

    Colin Forrester, Aug 7, 2006
  6. Turandot

    Guest

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:28:21 +0100, Colin Forrester
    <> wrote:

    >Peter Andrews wrote:
    >
    >> Do a Google on what happened when Atlantic Telecom went belly up in November
    >> 2001. There is NO obligation on any other supplier to take on your number,
    >> it was weeks before some people had service restored!

    >Remember it well - I wonder what procedures Oftel and now Ofcom have in
    >place to prevent the inevitable repeat?

    No wonder Atlantic went belly up they allowed 0870 and 0845 calls
    for free , their info stated that these calls where chargeable but I
    was never charged for any . An outfit called Breathe telecom took over
    the residential accounts saying nothing would change but it did .

    , Aug 7, 2006
  7. Turandot

    Turandot Guest

    > The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies
    > who issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them
    > in the first place.
    >
    > There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
    > would be a case of migrating to another provider.
    >

    > --
    > DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
    > PAYG Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
    > Caller ID units for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    I read from here that you can port numbers from BT now:
    http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php. Porting from other voip
    providers like Sipgate is also possible. It's interesting to see how OFCOM
    is going to protect both "our" numbers and sipgate's investment.

    Turandot, Aug 9, 2006
  8. Turandot

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Turandot wrote:
    > I read from here that you can port numbers from BT now:
    > http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php. Porting from other voip
    > providers like Sipgate is also possible.

    > It's interesting to see how OFCOM
    > is going to protect both "our" numbers and sipgate's investment.

    Excuse me?

    Paul Cupis, Aug 9, 2006
  9. Turandot

    Turandot Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > Turandot wrote:
    > > I read from here that you can port numbers from BT now:
    > > http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php. Porting from other voip
    > > providers like Sipgate is also possible.

    > > It's interesting to see how OFCOM
    > > is going to protect both "our" numbers and sipgate's investment.

    > Excuse me?

    If we can take the phone numbers with us, porting to another provider,
    sipgate will loose their investment on these numbers. Sipgate must have paid
    a fee (monthly or annually??) to have these numbers, and from what I have
    read from this group, many people are using the free sipgate numbers but not
    their paid services, so will the porting fee (£20 charged by gradwell) cover
    their costs.

    It might be possible to own a phone number (not the 077 ones) the same way
    as we own a domain name in the future:)

    Turandot, Aug 9, 2006
  10. Turandot

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Turandot wrote:
    > "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    >> Turandot wrote:
    >>> I read from here that you can port numbers from BT now:
    >>> http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php. Porting from other voip
    >>> providers like Sipgate is also possible.

    >>> It's interesting to see how OFCOM
    >>> is going to protect both "our" numbers and sipgate's investment.

    >> Excuse me?

    > If we can take the phone numbers with us, porting to another provider,
    > sipgate will loose their investment on these numbers. Sipgate must have paid
    > a fee (monthly or annually??) to have these numbers, and from what I have
    > read from this group, many people are using the free sipgate numbers but not
    > their paid services, so will the porting fee (£20 charged by gradwell) cover
    > their costs.

    If a company ports a number to themselves, they typically contract with
    the losing operator to pay them an amount (per minute or whatever)
    ongoing to route the call to them. A losing operator does not have to
    provide the porting service free of charge.

    The number is still owned by the range holder, not the end user.

    > It might be possible to own a phone number (not the 077 ones) the same way
    > as we own a domain name in the future:)

    Not under the current system. Numbers are "owned" by the range holders
    as allocated by Ofcom, not but end users.

    Paul Cupis, Aug 10, 2006