    dont have diddley shit

    --
    Fred Bailey
    Fred Bailey, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Fred Bailey

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:50:58 -0500, "Fred Bailey"
    <> wrote:

    >Are there any free newsgroups that one can get on besides bellsouth?. they
    >dont have diddley shit

    You get what you pay for. Generally, free means text only, and a low
    retention.
    Evan Platt, Jul 10, 2007

  3. Fred Bailey ïèøåò:

    www.aoie.org is good

    --
     ñëó÷àå ÷ðåçâû÷àéíîé ñèòóàöèè, êðàñíûé ñâåò áóäåò îñâåùàòü. Åñëè ýòîãî
    íå ïðîèçîéäåò òî ýòî ñëèøêîì ïîçäíî äëÿ òîãî, ÷òîáû âîïðîñ.

    http://www.kevin.com.ua/nntp-postings/
    =?windows-1251?Q?=CA=E5=E2=E8=ED?=, Jul 10, 2007
  4. Fred Bailey

    olfart Guest

    "Fred Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > Are there any free newsgroups that one can get on besides bellsouth?. they
    > dont have diddley shit
    >
    > --
    > Fred Bailey

    after a quick search I can't find diddley_shit being carried on any
    newsgroup.
    You might Google it
    olfart, Jul 10, 2007
  5. Fred Bailey wrote:

    > Are there any free newsgroups that one can get on besides bellsouth?.
    > they dont have diddley shit

    Are/were you a subscriber to AT&T Worldnet ISP services? If so, they
    have rather good NNTP service, including binary if you need it.

    Depending on your plan/DSL/where you live/phase of the moon, you may be
    eligible for Worldnet service under the "Zero Dollar Plan."

    That means free.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 10, 2007
  6. Fred Bailey

    Fred Bailey Guest

    Well, let me explain it this way. Bellsouth has only 20,000 some odd groups.
    and others I have ben on have had 4 times that amount , Much more sellection
    of many more groups that are not available with what bellsouth provides. I
    guess you havent been exposed to a large sellection.

    --
    Fred Bailey

    <> wrote:

    >Are there any free newsgroups that one can get on besides bellsouth?. they
    >dont have diddley shit

    I've got plenty of newsgroups with my bellsouth account. I don't see what
    you
    are complaining about.

    ---
    The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
    Fred Bailey, Jul 10, 2007
  7. Fred Bailey

    Mike Huskey Guest

    Mike Huskey, Jul 10, 2007
  8. On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:22:51 -0500, Fred Bailey wrote:

    > Well, let me explain it this way. Bellsouth has only 20,000 some odd
    > groups. and others I have ben on have had 4 times that amount , Much more
    > sellection of many more groups that are not available with what bellsouth
    > provides. I guess you havent been exposed to a large sellection.

    You're lucky they carry that many. If you want that sort of news service,
    subscribe to a premium server.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 10, 2007
  9. Fred Bailey wrote:
    > Are there any free newsgroups that one can get on besides bellsouth?. they
    > dont have diddley shit

    All Usenet newsgroups are free. It's the server access that sometimes
    costs.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 10, 2007
  10. Fred Bailey

    Vanguard Guest

    > Well, let me explain it this way. Bellsouth has only 20,000 some odd
    > groups. and others I have ben on have had 4 times that amount , Much
    > more sellection of many more groups that are not available with what
    > bellsouth provides. I guess you havent been exposed to a large
    > sellection.

    The total count is absolutely irrelevant. The only concern is if they
    carry the newsgroups that YOU want. Who gives a gnat's fart about
    20,000 bogus groups and another 20,000 that have no visitors. Go look
    in their newsgroups to see if they carry the newsgroups that you are
    interested in. A total count is a worthless value. They might only
    carry 200 groups but if all the ones that YOU were interested in were
    included then you don't need the others. Fact is that you probably
    haven't a clue as to which groups you want to visit but if you were to
    bother to actually check on any possibilities then you would find your
    current NSP probably has them all (I don't know if Bellsouth includes
    binaries or not).

    So what newsgroups are missing that you actually know that you want to
    visit?

    I've used aioe.org, an NSP that someone else mentioned, but be aware
    that there are no binaries and that the owner is playing around with
    anti-spam quotas that violate the RFC or de facto standards.

    Go visit alt.free.newsservers to ask there. Of course, your NSP
    (Bellsouth) would have to carry that group and it is likely that they
    do.

    Google works. Search on "+free +NNTP". From those lists or matches, go
    back to read the posts in alt.free.newsservers as many of those are pure
    crap and/or will append spam to everyone of your posts submitted through
    their service, like the free Teranews (which is a *beta* service is
    repeatedly screwed up).

    You could also search at http://www.newzbot.com/ to see which freebies
    handle the newsgroup in which you are interested but then we're back to
    the first paragraph that your current NSP probably includes that
    newsgroup and that you're hung up on a total count that has no meaning
    for you because you aren't going to all of them.
    Vanguard, Jul 11, 2007
  11. Fred Bailey

    Tester Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Are there any free newsgroups that one can get on besides bellsouth?. they
    >dont have diddley shit

    I don't know what theirs is like but since Bell South was bought by
    SBC/ATT your news service may change in the near future.

    Teranews.com and Bubbanews.com each offer an account for a one time
    charge of $3.95 and nothing per month. You're limited to 62.5 MB
    download/day (if you download more you won't be allowed back on until
    you have a positive balance for the day)

    Teranews at least has had some problems with postings being delayed by
    spam filters.

    Teranews and Bubbanews are both reselling the same feed on the same
    hosting ISP so they should be extremely similar.
    You might want to try the newsgroup alt.free.newsservers.

    Are you trying to get a reasonable text feed or are you trying to
    download pirated DVD's and running into completion and retention
    problems? Expect to have to pay for the latter.
    Tester, Jul 11, 2007
  12. Fred Bailey

    Laurie-Lou Guest

    Laurie-Lou, Jul 11, 2007
  13. Fred Bailey

    Fred Bailey Guest

    I suppose you think if i wanted to ride a horse i would have to buy one.

    --
    Fred Bailey

    Fred Bailey, Jul 11, 2007
  14. Fred Bailey

    Fred Bailey Guest

    Gee thats great advice.

    --
    Fred Bailey

    Fred Bailey, Jul 11, 2007
  15. Fred Bailey wrote:

    > Gee thats great advice.

    Gee, Fred. That sounds a bit sarcastic.

    You haven't answered the question yet about how many groups do you
    really want to subscribe to, out of the 20- or 40,000 groups that may be
    available via some news server.

    I've somewhere around 40,000+ available, and I am subscribed to about 22
    of them. What exactly are you looking for that is not included in the
    20,000 you now have access to?

    Please don't top-post over a sig delimiter; it kills what you are
    quoting. Thanks for your consideration.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 11, 2007
  16. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Fred Bailey wrote:
    >

    >>Gee thats great advice.

    > Gee, Fred. That sounds a bit sarcastic.
    >
    > You haven't answered the question yet about how many groups do you
    > really want to subscribe to, out of the 20- or 40,000 groups that may be
    > available via some news server.
    >
    > I've somewhere around 40,000+ available, and I am subscribed to about 22
    > of them. What exactly are you looking for that is not included in the
    > 20,000 you now have access to?
    >
    > Please don't top-post over a sig delimiter; it kills what you are
    > quoting. Thanks for your consideration.

    Until a few months ago, I had access to a news server that had listed
    over 120,000 newsgroups. Of course, 118,000 of them were either totally
    empty (dead) or just had spam in them (even deader). If the news admins
    were more selective, I'd be happy with about two or three hundred groups
    available, maybe less.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 11, 2007
  17. Fred Bailey

    Mikey Guest

    olfart wrote:

    > "Fred Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > > Are there any free newsgroups that one can get on besides bellsouth?. they
    > > dont have diddley shit
    > >
    > > --
    > > Fred Bailey
    > >

    > after a quick search I can't find diddley_shit being carried on any
    > newsgroup.
    > You might Google it

    My ISP carries the diddley_shit newsgroup but the only messages there are
    written by Bill Gates.
    Mikey, Jul 12, 2007