    news server. And the one IM using has just gone commercial.

    Does any one know of a News Server I can use..

    Cheers Peter
    peter, Jun 29, 2005

  2. peter wrote:
    > Ive tried really hard. But cant find One. IM with woosh and they dont have a
    > news server. And the one IM using has just gone commercial.

    > Does any one know of a News Server I can use..

    if just for the nz groups, then I have one... it's offered with no
    warranty, no guaranty, it is just there...

    fairground.synaptic.net.nz
    it should be readable for all, but you'll need an account to post(from
    memory)

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 29, 2005

  3. peter

    peter Guest

    THx Dave
    I got on straight away....I really only want it for nz.comp

    peter, Jun 29, 2005
  4. peter wrote:
    > THx Dave
    > I got on straight away....I really only want it for nz.comp

    ok then.
    I will mention that it was down for the last week or so(did you miss
    me?), my fuckup, and no time to fix it(works been nuts, and I pay for
    the colo of this box, and nnt is not technically meant to be running on
    it), but still, worth noting.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 29, 2005
  5. peter

    peter Guest

    Is that your news server Dave. If so I see that you must have Hamster. I
    really want to know how to set up and use Hamster. And would love some
    pointers...

    peter, Jun 30, 2005
  6. peter wrote:
    > Is that your news server Dave. If so I see that you must have Hamster. I
    > really want to know how to set up and use Hamster. And would love some
    > pointers...

    Hamster it is, I can zip up my install(all config is in text files) and
    email it to you if you want... I'm a tad busy at work at the moment, but
    if you use MSN, add dave@ the top domain in my sig.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2005
  7. peter

    Tony Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:11:32 +1200, "peter" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Ive tried really hard. But cant find One. IM with woosh and they dont have a
    >news server. And the one IM using has just gone commercial.
    >
    >Does any one know of a News Server I can use..
    >

    >Cheers Peter

    Try this newsgroup

    alt.free.newsservers
    Tony, Jun 30, 2005
  8. peter

    peter Guest

    Thanks Dave

    I already have Hamster. I just havent seen it working on the net before. As
    I am a computer tutor I want to set up hamster on my home machine and create
    news groups that my students can use. I know I will need a permanet IP
    address and all that. But I cant for the life of me figure out how to get
    Hamster to run on my computer and then go to the news group I have created
    at a remote computr (the one at wk).. I would just love to know how to do
    that...NO rush though..

    And I know you have to be busy.. Im just happy seeing that someone has done
    it with Hamster already...Oh What version of Hamster do you have?

    THX in advance Dave

    peter, Jun 30, 2005
  9. peter wrote:
    > I already have Hamster. I just havent seen it working on the net before. As
    > I am a computer tutor I want to set up hamster on my home machine and create
    > news groups that my students can use. I know I will need a permanet IP
    > address and all that. But I cant for the life of me figure out how to get
    > Hamster to run on my computer and then go to the news group I have created
    > at a remote computr (the one at wk).. I would just love to know how to do
    > that...NO rush though..

    ok, well, it has two forms of lockout, ones IP based...(config, local
    servers, bottom right, edit IPaccess.hst).

    You can add 0.0.0.0(all IPs) to the list, and everyone can access the
    server.

    and one user based(config, accounts and passwords).
    if you make a user nntpdefault with the password nntpdefault, it will
    create an account with anon access.

    > And I know you have to be busy.. Im just happy seeing that someone has done
    > it with Hamster already...Oh What version of Hamster do you have?

    ummm, "Classic Hamster V2.0.0.1"
    Be aware that there are two main versions, "Hamster Classic", and
    "Hamster Playground", both are opensource, and both still being
    developed, but each have their +s and -s.
    Checkout the hamster.* groups, I carry them... I ask some dumb
    questions, but this is more of a learning process and an "I needed nntp
    access from multiple locations" thing for me than anything else.

    > THX in advance Dave

    no worries.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ok, well, it has two forms of lockout, ones IP based...(config, local
    > servers, bottom right, edit IPaccess.hst).
    >
    > You can add 0.0.0.0(all IPs) to the list, and everyone can access the
    > server.

    Use this with caution, you usually don't want anyone accessing your
    server... you can also use IPsec to filter traffic if you want, or some
    other form of blocking if you so desire so that before it even gets to
    the nntp(or pop3/smtp/imap) server, it has to pass those filters too.

    > and one user based(config, accounts and passwords).
    > if you make a user nntpdefault with the password nntpdefault, it will
    > create an account with anon access.

    Also be cautios with this one... it can make you a spam gateway if
    you're not careful.

    >> And I know you have to be busy.. Im just happy seeing that someone has
    >> done it with Hamster already...Oh What version of Hamster do you have?

    > ummm, "Classic Hamster V2.0.0.1"
    > Be aware that there are two main versions, "Hamster Classic", and
    > "Hamster Playground", both are opensource, and both still being
    > developed, but each have their +s and -s.
    > Checkout the hamster.* groups, I carry them... I ask some dumb
    > questions, but this is more of a learning process and an "I needed nntp
    > access from multiple locations" thing for me than anything else.

    personally I prefer classic.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2005
  11. peter

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in

    > personally I prefer classic.

    Luddite ;-)

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Jun 30, 2005
  12. peter

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:19:58 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > if just for the nz groups, then I have one... it's offered with no
    > warranty, no guaranty, it is just there...

    Ah you mean, USENET ;-)
    Gordon, Jun 30, 2005
  13. peter

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:08:45 +1200, peter wrote:

    > Is that your news server Dave. If so I see that you must have Hamster. I
    > really want to know how to set up and use Hamster. And would love some
    > pointers...

    Bottom post.
    Gordon, Jun 30, 2005
  14. peter

    Epsom, Surry Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:11:32 +1200, "peter" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Ive tried really hard. But cant find One. IM with woosh and they dont have a
    >news server. And the one IM using has just gone commercial.
    >
    >Does any one know of a News Server I can use..

    news.aioe.org is what I'm using, its in italy, but I'm just outside
    london with bt broadband 17 quid a month - so works for me...
    Epsom, Surry, Jul 1, 2005
  15. peter

    Peter Guest

    Cool.. if you can read this message then news.aioe.org works. So all you
    woosh users theres a news server for you..

    Peter, Jul 1, 2005