    in a box -- not the amount reported by Windows?

    TIA,
    Bill
    bill, Mar 8, 2006

  2. bill

    Dan Koerner Guest

    I surely wish you had checked here first... before purchasing the RAM. Many 64 bit mobo/BIOS combinations will not support more that ~3.2-3.5 GB of RAM. I can sympathize with you... I have one of them.

    --
    -Dan-

    Dan Koerner, Mar 9, 2006

  3. bill

    bill Guest

    Dan,

    According to the specs for the hp xw4300 it should support up to 8GB of RAM.
    I wonder if the amount of RAM displayed in the System Properties tab is
    accuracte above 4GB. I may have to tweak boot.ini yet.

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/12454-296719-296721-307907-296721-471922.html

    Bill

    bill, Mar 9, 2006
  4. bill

    bill Guest

    Dan,

    I just checked -- my BIOS shows 8192MB of RAM! This is surely a Windows
    issue.

    bill, Mar 9, 2006
  5. bill

    Dan Koerner Guest

    Good... at least your BIOS is seeing the memory. Mine reports 3.4GB, but with 4GB installed. Some have been able to overcome this by changing the way the memory is mapped by the BIOS. Good luck!!!!

    --
    -Dan-

    Dan Koerner, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Hi, I have a XW6200 with 5GB and Windows reports that accurately.
    You could try the HP support forums on the HP web site or the option to have
    a online chat with one of the support reprecentive. Perhaps they have a BIOS
    fix/update for the unit.

    Carwyn.

    Carwyn Hollett, Mar 9, 2006
  7. bill

    bill Guest

    Dan,

    Out of desperation I called HP. Believe it or not my xw4300 had BIOS version
    1.0.3. They said they fixed the memory display issue in 1.0.4 and then again
    in 1.0.5.... so I installed the latest - BIOS 1.0.7. Now my System Property
    windows shows 8GB of RAM! Yeah, baby!

    bill, Mar 9, 2006
  8. bill

    bill Guest

    Carwyn,

    I was told that if we ordered the HP xw4300 with 8GB of RAM, they would have
    upgraded the BIOS to read the correct amount before sending it to us.
    Instead, we ordered the default configuration (1 GB) which registered
    properly in Windows so do they didn't upgrade the BIOS.

    Bill

    bill, Mar 9, 2006
  9. Hello Bill,
    The boot.ini shouldn't have settings to increase the amount of memory
    available.
    With 32-bit Windows, this exposed with /pae so we are using the PAE kernel.
    PAE is is Physical Address Extensions which allow for more memory
    addressing.
    that already exists in 64-bit Windows, so the addressing if available to
    see the memory.
    What does MsInfo 32 report back for memory (total physical memory)?
    What does task manager report?

    Now there are some limitations for running 32-bit with 4 gig of RAM. Since
    the addressing is limited to 4 gig, hardware that allocates memory
    resources has to locate below 4 gig, thus reducing the amount of RAM
    available. /PAE allows for relocated those addresses, however not all
    drivers or hardware likes being relocated, however with 64-bit drivers this
    shouldn't be an issue. However since the machines can ship with either a
    32-bit OS, they may limit what is exposed to Windows thus reducing
    potential exposure for drivers that do not like relocating. So there are
    limitations depending on hardware for 32-bit systems which reduce the
    amount of memory seen below 4 gig inside Windows. However Windows should
    not have problems seeing that memory under 64-bit Windows.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "bill" <>
    <Subject: Re: Free Memory in System Properties
    <Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:26:56 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Dan,
    <
[...]
    <--
    <-Dan-
    <
    <
    <"bill" <> wrote in message
    <>I just had 8GB of RAM installed in an xw4300 64-bit box (Windows XP 64 bit
    <> editon). Like before, when I only had 4GB, Windows System Properties tab
    <> shows 3.5GB of total RAM.
    <>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Mar 9, 2006
  10. bill