    as brightness, contrast, grain removal etc.

    Cheers
    Andy
    Andy100, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Andy100

    Matt Ion Guest

    "Andy100" <> wrote in message
    news:cfln94$jq5$...
    > Is there any (preferably free) software which will read a memory card

    (when
    > i slot it into the USB card reader) and take all the pictures, put them in

    > user defined file and wipe the card clean ?

    Ummm... your computer's interface should do all that. Almost all card
    readers, whether on a PC or Mac, will show up as a removable disk... just
    highlight the files you want, and drag/move them to the destination folder
    (normal drag'n'drop will do a Copy; hold SHIFT while dragging under Windows
    to perform a Move, or the Apple key while dragging on the Mac).

    > Also, it would be great if the software had a little image re-touching

    such

    www.irfanview.com - small, fast, very well-featured, and free.
    Matt Ion, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Andy100

    Graham Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:56:37 +0100, Andy100,
    <news:cfln94$jq5$> expounded this theory:

    > Is there any (preferably free) software which will read a memory card (when
    > i slot it into the USB card reader) and take all the pictures, put them in a
    > user defined file and wipe the card clean ?

    Transferer

    http://www.dps.uk.com/freeware.htm

    > Also, it would be great if the software had a little image re-touching such
    > as brightness, contrast, grain removal etc.

    Irfanview
    Graham, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Andy100

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "Andy100" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any (preferably free) software which will read a memory

    card (when
    > i slot it into the USB card reader) and take all the pictures, put

    them in a
    > user defined file and wipe the card clean ?

    Later versions of Windows (2000, XP) have it built in
    as do later versions of Linux. Maybe also the the Mac.

    For earlier versions you might need to find a driver.
    Another poster recommended a free one. You can
    also try the websites for whoever made the card
    reader attached to your computer.

    > Also, it would be great if the software had a little image

    re-touching such
    > as brightness, contrast, grain removal etc.

    Everyone else has recommended Irfanview. You
    can't go wrong with that. It's an outstanding image viewer
    but has very limited editing. You can do some limited
    color manipulation, cropping and resizing, but no
    actual editing that I know of.

    There is a a very powerful free image editor called
    the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). It
    was developed for Linux and runs best with Linux,
    but there is a Windows version that does seem to
    work. Search for GIMP on Google and you'll find
    it. However it's a big program with a lot to learn
    before you can do much with it.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Aug 14, 2004
  5. Andy100

    Andy100 Guest

    Cheers everyone for the help. Yes it does show up in 'my computer' as a
    drive, but i was just wanting automated software so i didn't have to
    manually do it. I'm lazy !.

    Graham, that software was just what i was wanting, thanks !

    Andy

    Andy100, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Andy100

    Graham Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:39:54 +0100, Andy100,
    <news:cfm0r7$odl$> expounded this theory:

    > Graham, that software was just what i was wanting, thanks !

    My pleasure.
    Graham, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Got here late so you have a solution...but you might want to try cam2pc
    also.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 15, 2004
  8. Andy100

    ECM Guest

    "Andy100" <> wrote in message news:<cfln94$jq5$>...
    > Is there any (preferably free) software which will read a memory card (when
    > i slot it into the USB card reader) and take all the pictures, put them in a
    > user defined file and wipe the card clean ?
    >
    > Also, it would be great if the software had a little image re-touching such
    > as brightness, contrast, grain removal etc.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andy

    I'm trying out Picasa 1.6, a freeware program offered by Google that
    seems to be doing a good job; from what you've said, I think it'll do
    what you want.

    It will automatically detect when media containing image files is
    connected to the computer (ie when you plug the camera into a USB
    port), and download the images to an album for you. It doesn't delete
    the pictures from the card, though - you'll have to do that for
    yourself. It's also a bit slower this way than simply using a flash
    card reader. It has a few simple corrections available - "enhance" (an
    automatic contrast/brightness adjustment), "crop" and "redeye" (works
    remarkably well, IMHO). I can even invoke Irfanview from within the
    program to do more complex editing. It doesn't do grain removal,
    though - I kind of thought this was a fairly high-end kind of filter -
    Photoshop or Paintshop territory...

    Picasa is freeware for now; I suspect it'll have a similar business
    model as WinZip - ie. free now, but later it'll become share- or "LE"-
    or nag-ware. No spy components according to Ad-Aware, and no ads. It's
    a fairly good sales method - I bought WinZip, after all.... Picasa 1.6
    is definitely a step up from Camedia 4.1, the program that came with
    my Olympus. It'll play a nice slideshow with your favorite MP3, too!

    The link is:
    http://www.picasa.com/content/download.php?promo=ihhp1

    Check it out!
    Peace!
    ECM, Aug 15, 2004
  9. Andy100

    Andy100 Guest

    Thanks. I did try that Picasa and i agree, it's great !!, i didn't realise
    it had the ability to automatically read the contents of the card reader
    though. I'll have to try that part of it out, thanks ECM.

    Andy

    Andy100, Aug 15, 2004
  10. Andy100

    Matt Guest

    On 14 Aug 2004 21:04:36 -0700, (ECM) wrote:

    >"Andy100" <> wrote in message news:<cfln94$jq5$>...
    >> Is there any (preferably free) software which will read a memory card (when
    >> i slot it into the USB card reader) and take all the pictures, put them in a
    >> user defined file and wipe the card clean ?
    >>
    >> Also, it would be great if the software had a little image re-touching such
    >> as brightness, contrast, grain removal etc.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Andy

    >I'm trying out Picasa 1.6, a freeware program offered by Google that
    >seems to be doing a good job; from what you've said, I think it'll do
    >what you want.
    >
    >It will automatically detect when media containing image files is
    >connected to the computer (ie when you plug the camera into a USB
    >port), and download the images to an album for you. It doesn't delete
    >the pictures from the card, though - you'll have to do that for
    >yourself. It's also a bit slower this way than simply using a flash
    >card reader. It has a few simple corrections available - "enhance" (an
    >automatic contrast/brightness adjustment), "crop" and "redeye" (works
    >remarkably well, IMHO). I can even invoke Irfanview from within the
    >program to do more complex editing. It doesn't do grain removal,
    >though - I kind of thought this was a fairly high-end kind of filter -
    >Photoshop or Paintshop territory...
    >
    >Picasa is freeware for now; I suspect it'll have a similar business
    >model as WinZip - ie. free now, but later it'll become share- or "LE"-
    >or nag-ware. No spy components according to Ad-Aware, and no ads. It's
    >a fairly good sales method - I bought WinZip, after all.... Picasa 1.6

    It WAS shareware, but now it's a Google promo - or perhaps there will
    soon be "Google Photo".
    If you visit the order prints menu, and are not very well firewalled,
    it will register itself without asking!
    Apparently, it sneaks your primary email account details from OE.

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
    Matt, Aug 17, 2004
  11. Andy100

    ECM Guest

    Matt <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 14 Aug 2004 21:04:36 -0700, (ECM) wrote:
    >
    > >"Andy100" <> wrote in message news:<cfln94$jq5$>...
    > >> Is there any (preferably free) software which will read a memory card (when

    ***SNIP***

    > >Picasa is freeware for now; I suspect it'll have a similar business
    > >model as WinZip - ie. free now, but later it'll become share- or "LE"-
    > >or nag-ware. No spy components according to Ad-Aware, and no ads. It's
    > >a fairly good sales method - I bought WinZip, after all.... Picasa 1.6

    > It WAS shareware, but now it's a Google promo - or perhaps there will
    > soon be "Google Photo".
    > If you visit the order prints menu, and are not very well firewalled,
    > it will register itself without asking!
    > Apparently, it sneaks your primary email account details from OE.

    Hmmmm. I'm not really fond of that kind of behavior from a program.
    Still, according to the registration nag I just got, it needs to be
    registered in order to use the Ophoto prints stuff. Are you saying
    that, even when you are registered with the "e-mail" address of your
    choice (nudge, nudge, wink wink....) it will send them your REAL addy
    from Outlook Express? That deserves a "spyware" lable - I wonder if
    AdAware has checked in to this? I haven't registered yet - maybe I'll
    check it out.....

    ECM
    ECM, Aug 18, 2004