    looking for a free ISP (paying by connection fee).
    Cheers
    Ernest

    Ernst Lehmann, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Ernst Lehmann

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Ernst Lehmann" <> wrote in
    news:bpm0vo$1pjj6h$-berlin.de:

    > Hi,
    > I`m from switzerland and I`m at new sealand from dezember to february.
    > I`m looking for a free ISP (paying by connection fee).
    > Cheers
    > Ernest

    I would recommend that you get an AOL CD and install the software. It
    will give you free for a month I think. I do not know of any other
    company that has world wide dial up numbers and a free month. I wish
    there was, because AOL is terrible. Someone who can post to a newsgroup
    DOES NOT need AOL.
    maybe someone else will have a different suggestion for you.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Ernst Lehmann

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:43:57 +0100, Ernst Lehmann wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I`m from switzerland and I`m at new sealand from dezember to february. I`m
    > looking for a free ISP (paying by connection fee).

    Sorry, your spelling lets you down. Enjoy the bottom.

    > Cheers
    > Ernest

    Have a nice day/posting.

    Gordon, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Ernst Lehmann

    PC Guest

    "Ernst Lehmann" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I`m from switzerland and I`m at new sealand from dezember to february. I`m
    > looking for a free ISP (paying by connection fee).
    > Cheers
    > Ernest

    Hi Ernest

    The only 'Free' ISP we had in NZ (i4Free) stopped taking new clients ages
    ago and finaly folded about a month ago.

    All local phone calls in NZ are 'Free' in the sense that you pay a set
    amount per month for your landline and for that you can make as many local
    calls for as long as you like. Consequently unlike countries which charge
    for local calls the NZ system does not generate a 'revenue stream' that
    allows a percentage to be skimmed off to support a 'Free' ISP As far as I
    know all but one NZ ISP's dial in numbers are either 'local' or 08xx (free
    toll) calls because their income is generated from directly invoicing
    (debiting?) the client.

    The only exception I have found is WWW.Free.net.nz which requires you to
    make a 'toll' (long distance) call to one of three numbers (Auckland,
    Wellington & Christchurch) to access their 'Servers' In this case I would
    guess the 'toll' charges generate a percentage to them from Telecom that
    pay's your Internet Access fee's. The rate you pay of course depends on
    where you are, the time of day and what number you are dialing to. The
    difficulty for you of course will be reimbursing the owner of the phone you
    use as they will not get the 'bill' until after you have gone. It's best to
    look at the website but I get the feeling it's only suitable for
    'emergencies'

    The only option I know of that does not require a formal 'contract' between
    the client and the ISP is a prepaid access card from Dick Smith Electronics,
    see here for details:

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fbf06ce0e7cc134273fc0a87f990715/Product/View/XH8401

    Having said all that, unless you are bringing your own Laptop, I would
    suggest that as there are Internet Cafe's in most town's in NZ, I would just
    stick to accessing the net through them and using your present ISP's Web
    access to do your email.

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Nov 22, 2003
  5. Ernst Lehmann

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Hi Ernst

    A few years ago, I used to have a dial-up Compuserve account. This had local
    number dial-up in most cities, including the 5 main cities of NZ.This makes
    it sort-of free, as we have no local call charges here. Access from a motel
    or hotel may be different.

    Another option is to just use Internet cafes. They are available all over
    NZ.

    Might be worth some research.

    Enjoy your time in NZ.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Nov 22, 2003
  6. Ernst Lehmann

    steve Guest

    PC allegedly said:

    > All local phone calls in NZ are 'Free' in the sense that you pay a set
    > amount per month for your landline and for that you can make as many local
    > calls for as long as you like.

    Only from residential phones. If he calls from a busines/hotel, they will
    charge by the minute....even if he calls an 0867 or 0873 number as they are
    not toll-free for business.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers

    steve, Nov 22, 2003
  7. Ernst Lehmann

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:17:04 +1300, PC wrote:

    > "Ernst Lehmann" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I`m from switzerland and I`m at new sealand from dezember to february. I`m
    >> looking for a free ISP (paying by connection fee).
    >> Cheers
    >> Ernest

    > Hi Ernest
    >
    > The only 'Free' ISP we had in NZ (i4Free) stopped taking new clients ages
    > ago and finaly folded about a month ago.

    i4free wasn't the only free isp. Freenet and zFree were also available.
    zFree no longer exits though, and Freenet is no longer free.....

    > All local phone calls in NZ are 'Free' in the sense that you pay a set
    > amount per month for your landline and for that you can make as many local
    > calls for as long as you like. Consequently unlike countries which charge
    > for local calls the NZ system does not generate a 'revenue stream' that
    > allows a percentage to be skimmed off to support a 'Free' ISP As far as I
    > know all but one NZ ISP's dial in numbers are either 'local' or 08xx (free
    > toll) calls because their income is generated from directly invoicing
    > (debiting?) the client.
    >
    > The only exception I have found is WWW.Free.net.nz which requires you to
    > make a 'toll' (long distance) call to one of three numbers (Auckland,
    > Wellington & Christchurch) to access their 'Servers'

    They have a (residential) free call for all areas - 0867 6700.

    I used to use them and didn't really have any problems. I think now the
    deal is you prepay something like $15 and if you use less than 3 hours a
    month it's free, otherwise its $15 flat rate.

    Something like that anyway. A big drawback if you're travelling is that
    you can only dial in from your specified number (used to be anyway) so
    would not be too much use if you're travelling about.

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Nov 23, 2003
  8. Ernst Lehmann

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <GWEvb.5822$>,
    says...

    > "Ernst Lehmann" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I`m from switzerland and I`m at new sealand from dezember to february. I`m
    > > looking for a free ISP (paying by connection fee).
    > > Cheers
    > > Ernest

    > Hi Ernest
    >
    > The only 'Free' ISP we had in NZ (i4Free) stopped taking new clients ages
    > ago and finaly folded about a month ago.

    Apart from Zfree which closed last year.

    Mainlander, Nov 23, 2003
  9. Ernst Lehmann

    Mainlander Guest

    Mainlander, Nov 23, 2003
  10. Ernst Lehmann

    Daniel Guest

    In article <8dHvb.9030$>,
    steve <> wrote:

    > PC allegedly said:
    >
    > > All local phone calls in NZ are 'Free' in the sense that you pay a set
    > > amount per month for your landline and for that you can make as many local
    > > calls for as long as you like.

    > Only from residential phones. If he calls from a busines/hotel, they will
    > charge by the minute....even if he calls an 0867 or 0873 number as they are
    > not toll-free for business.

    No one is Free but if you use www.free.net.nz it cost a maximum of NZD
    14.-- (11 CHF) per month if you use your connection more then 200
    minutes a month. If you use it less then 200 minutes it is totally free.
    You pay it by credit card. I recommend you to make the subscription from
    Switzerland. It uses a 0867 phone number which is free from a home line.

    Daniel, Dec 6, 2003