    ones are good to use?

    Any info would be great, and if anyone could point me to comparative
    reviews that would be great too.

    David Keane, May 12, 2004

  2. David Keane

    mattlock Guest

    David Keane wrote:
    > I'm a long time listener, first time caller.
    >
    > I'm starting to look for a decent free Firewall for Win 2000 and XP.
    > (decent & free is hard to come by)
    >
    > I'm looking at BartSoft Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Outpost
    > Free, and ZoneAlarm Free.
    >
    > I've used ZoneAlarm for a while, since it was point and click simple,
    > and I was looking for simple stuff for simple minds.
    >
    > I know a heck of a lot more now, and I'm wondering if anyone has used
    > the others successfully, or if anyone has tips or guidelines for which
    > ones are good to use?
    >
    > Any info would be great, and if anyone could point me to comparative
    > reviews that would be great too.

    Have a look into kerio.
    Version 4 has quite a few of the features of the paid versions of
    zonealarm and all.
    I still use version 2.10 though, its small and very flexible because it
    lets you set an unlimited amount of rules for any port, application,
    protocol and address.

    mattlock, May 12, 2004

  3. David Keane

    Dave Taylor Guest

    David Keane <> wrote in news:40a205e6
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > I'm a long time listener, first time caller.
    >
    > I'm starting to look for a decent free Firewall for Win 2000 and XP.
    > (decent & free is hard to come by)
    >
    > I'm looking at BartSoft Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Outpost
    > Free, and ZoneAlarm Free.
    >
    > I've used ZoneAlarm for a while, since it was point and click simple,
    > and I was looking for simple stuff for simple minds.
    >
    > I know a heck of a lot more now, and I'm wondering if anyone has used
    > the others successfully, or if anyone has tips or guidelines for which
    > ones are good to use?
    >
    > Any info would be great, and if anyone could point me to comparative
    > reviews that would be great too.

    Zonealarm sometimes has isues with its service crashing, and corrupting
    the database. See forums at zonelabs about this. You have moved on from
    Zonealarm, so I would recommend Sygate. It works well. Do you want to
    have called dll's egress monitored? Have you tried Kerio?
    Apps can call dll's that use IE to do their dirty work. If IE is
    trusted you would never know it happened unless you looked at logs. Take
    a look at http://www.grc.com
    Try Leaktest and Shields Up. Search their forums, there are some good
    posts in there about software firewalls.
    Are you worried about egress?
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 12, 2004
  4. David Keane

    SomebodyElse Guest

    David Keane wrote:
    > I'm a long time listener, first time caller.
    >
    > I'm starting to look for a decent free Firewall for Win 2000 and XP.
    > (decent & free is hard to come by)
    >
    > I'm looking at BartSoft Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Outpost
    > Free, and ZoneAlarm Free.
    >
    > I've used ZoneAlarm for a while, since it was point and click simple,
    > and I was looking for simple stuff for simple minds.
    >
    > I know a heck of a lot more now, and I'm wondering if anyone has used
    > the others successfully, or if anyone has tips or guidelines for which
    > ones are good to use?
    >
    > Any info would be great, and if anyone could point me to comparative
    > reviews that would be great too.

    I used to use ZoneAlarm.
    Then I switched to Sygate Personal Firewall (after an extremely unstable
    upgrade of ZoneAlarm) for a number of years (approx 4 years). Recently
    I've had a few concerns about the reliability of Sygate, and switched
    back to ZoneAlarm. They are both free versions of commercial software,
    so surely you can't expect them to work as well as their 'paid' versions.

    Completely unsubtaniated opinion here -- I like Sygate Personal Firewall
    better. Even though I'm not using it at the moment, I like it better and
    I think I probably should stil be using it.
    The reality is -- these are both free versions of (paid) commercial
    software. It's FREE -- and they also sell the stuff -- something's gotta
    give!

    Norton's (ANYTHING) is shit.
    There's no way I'd install that on my system, or recommend it to anybody
    at all. I've never seen any installation AT ALL where it's been useful.
    For ANYTHING.

    OK I'm just rambling now.
    I've used ZoneAlarm for the last 3 Months.
    I've used Sygate Personal Firewall for about 4 years before that.
    As far as I know I've never been hacked while using these programs.

    A couple of months ago, APC magazine reviewed firewall type programs. It
    was very good (and I can't find at this point) and their best was
    something that was ZoneAlarm with a different name + some other stuff.
    I think it started with 'C'
    Hey, I might not be very helpful, but I'm trying..........

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, May 12, 2004
  5. David Keane

    Dave Taylor Guest

    SomebodyElse <> wrote in news:geooc.1509$FN.165055
    @news02.tsnz.net:

    > A couple of months ago, APC magazine reviewed firewall type programs. It
    > was very good (and I can't find at this point) and their best was
    > something that was ZoneAlarm with a different name + some other stuff.
    > I think it started with 'C'
    > Hey, I might not be very helpful, but I'm trying..........
    >
    > - Scott

    Computer Associates rebranded version of Zonealarm? If you order the
    Microsoft patch CD, it comes with a trial version that I found nags you
    with a broken web page.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 12, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > I'm a long time listener, first time caller.
    >
    > I'm starting to look for a decent free Firewall for Win 2000 and XP.
    > (decent & free is hard to come by)
    >
    > I'm looking at BartSoft Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Outpost
    > Free, and ZoneAlarm Free.
    >
    > I've used ZoneAlarm for a while, since it was point and click simple,
    > and I was looking for simple stuff for simple minds.
    >
    > I know a heck of a lot more now, and I'm wondering if anyone has used
    > the others successfully, or if anyone has tips or guidelines for which
    > ones are good to use?
    >
    > Any info would be great, and if anyone could point me to comparative
    > reviews that would be great too.

    I would discourage people from using Zone Alarm, had bad experiences
    with it behaving much like a virus/worm infestation itself once things
    go wrong with it.

    Used Sygate for many years. It's comprehensive, it's easy to use, it
    controlls outgoing as well as incoming and allows to configure ports and
    applications individually if you have need.

    Now I am using Kerio. Not sure what version, it's a full version, and I
    have it clamped down so tight that it doesn't allow any program or dll
    to start another program without asking, even the XP camera and scanner
    wizard won't work <grin> and I can't get into control panel unless I
    disable the firewall. Probably a bit over the top .....

    If I wanted someting easier to care for, I'd go back to Sygate, no
    question.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, May 13, 2004
  7. David Keane

    Jason M Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:14:44 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >Now I am using Kerio. Not sure what version, it's a full version, and I
    >have it clamped down so tight that it doesn't allow any program or dll
    >to start another program without asking, even the XP camera and scanner
    >wizard won't work <grin> and I can't get into control panel unless I
    >disable the firewall. Probably a bit over the top .....

    Kerio Firewall is wonderful. I started by rejecting absolutely
    everything, then ran all my usual programs one at a time and allowed
    Kerio to add new rules. The only thing to watch is that you may need
    to change the order of the rules occasionally, especially if you have
    a blanket rule at the end to reject everything not specified in a rule
    (since new rules go at the end by default).

    Jason M, May 13, 2004
  8. David Keane

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:05:33 +1200, David Keane
    <> wrote:

    >I'm a long time listener, first time caller.
    >
    >I'm starting to look for a decent free Firewall for Win 2000 and XP.
    >(decent & free is hard to come by)
    >
    >I'm looking at BartSoft Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Outpost
    >Free, and ZoneAlarm Free.
    >
    >I've used ZoneAlarm for a while, since it was point and click simple,
    >and I was looking for simple stuff for simple minds.
    >
    >I know a heck of a lot more now, and I'm wondering if anyone has used
    >the others successfully, or if anyone has tips or guidelines for which
    >ones are good to use?

    I use Sygate. I got too annoyed with Zone Alarm. I'm sure it gives
    false alarms to convince people it's good. It's reports are not borne
    out by a sniffer.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 13, 2004
  9. David Keane

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:52:37 +1200, SomebodyElse <> wrote:

    >Norton's (ANYTHING) is shit.
    >There's no way I'd install that on my system, or recommend it to anybody
    >at all. I've never seen any installation AT ALL where it's been useful.
    >For ANYTHING.

    Norton Internet Firewall thingee is useless. Norton AV is the best
    there is. I've had no problems with it, it updates cleanly. It catches
    viruses and doesn't slow my machine down, in spite of bad press to the
    contrary. I tried free AVs, they didn't work properly so I bought
    Norton AV.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 13, 2004
  10. David Keane

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:37:16 +1200, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:52:37 +1200, SomebodyElse <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Norton's (ANYTHING) is shit.
    >>There's no way I'd install that on my system, or recommend it to anybody
    >>at all. I've never seen any installation AT ALL where it's been useful.
    >>For ANYTHING.
    >>

    >Norton Internet Firewall thingee is useless. Norton AV is the best
    >there is. I've had no problems with it, it updates cleanly. It catches
    >viruses and doesn't slow my machine down, in spite of bad press to the
    >contrary. I tried free AVs, they didn't work properly so I bought
    >Norton AV.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    I disinfected someone's computer recently and AVG6 was the only one of
    three AV progs, including Nortons, that detected the virus. I have
    had trouble with Norton AV5 so stopped using it. It occasionally
    deleted my D: partition. I have heard of others that had the same
    thing. When I tried the latest I found it slowed everything down too
    much.

    GraB, May 13, 2004
  11. David Keane

    GraB Guest

    >I would discourage people from using Zone Alarm, had bad experiences
    >with it behaving much like a virus/worm infestation itself once things
    >go wrong with it.

    I have never had a problem at all with ZoneAlarm.

    GraB, May 13, 2004
  12. David Keane

    GraB Guest

    >I use Sygate. I got too annoyed with Zone Alarm. I'm sure it gives
    >false alarms to convince people it's good. It's reports are not borne
    >out by a sniffer.

    I have disabled Alerts and logs. What purpose do they serve? Unless
    you have a permanent connection I think the free version of ZoneAlarm
    is more than adequate. It always passes the Test My Shields at
    www.grc.com in complete stealth mode. As far as other dlls using IE
    to access the net I have ZoneAlarm set to ask every time IE wants to
    get online and use Opera or Firefox instead.

    GraB, May 13, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    says...
    > >I would discourage people from using Zone Alarm, had bad experiences
    > >with it behaving much like a virus/worm infestation itself once things
    > >go wrong with it.
    > >

    > I have never had a problem at all with ZoneAlarm.

    Good for you.

    I tried it once, years ago. I had problems with it - BSDs, & lockups
    i.i.r.c. When I tried to uninstall it, it trashed Win98 unrecoverably --
    having to rebuild everything from scratch is not my idea of fun.
    And I had to reinstall twice, because I didn't clean up well enough the
    first time, now that REALLY pissed me off.

    I have had reports from several people who have found that ZoneAlarm
    refused to uninstall cleanly, or didn't uninstall at all.

    Most of this is years old, I will readily admit. But then, I don't keep
    putting my hand on the hot stove again and again to see if it will still
    burn me :)

    YMMV, obviously.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, May 13, 2004
  14. David Keane

    Kookaburra Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I'm a long time listener, first time caller.

    [snip]

    >Any info would be great, and if anyone could point me to comparative
    >reviews that would be great too.

    I'm a new Sygate Personal Firewall user . I used ZoneAlarm for years
    prior to changing to Outpost 2 years ago. My win 98 didn't like the
    latest version of Outpost, actually win 98 didn't much like the latest
    version of anything. :eek:))

    Sygate Personal Firewall gives me all stealth which Outpost never did
    and I'm happy with that.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, May 13, 2004
  15. David Keane

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 03:57:46 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> >I would discourage people from using Zone Alarm, had bad experiences
    >> >with it behaving much like a virus/worm infestation itself once things
    >> >go wrong with it.
    >> >

    >> I have never had a problem at all with ZoneAlarm.

    >Good for you.
    >
    >I tried it once, years ago. I had problems with it - BSDs, & lockups
    >i.i.r.c. When I tried to uninstall it, it trashed Win98 unrecoverably --
    >having to rebuild everything from scratch is not my idea of fun.
    >And I had to reinstall twice, because I didn't clean up well enough the
    >first time, now that REALLY pissed me off.
    >
    >I have had reports from several people who have found that ZoneAlarm
    >refused to uninstall cleanly, or didn't uninstall at all.
    >
    >Most of this is years old, I will readily admit. But then, I don't keep
    >putting my hand on the hot stove again and again to see if it will still
    >burn me :)

    You may have had a particularly buggy version. A friend had a slight
    problem with it (can't remember what now) but when he went to the next
    version, no problem. I had major trouble with Thunderbird 3 deleting
    my folders instead of e-mails on the server but I would recommend the
    latest versions.

    GraB, May 14, 2004

  16. >
    >I disinfected someone's computer recently and AVG6 was the only one of
    >three AV progs, including Nortons, that detected the virus. I have
    >had trouble with Norton AV5 so stopped using it. It occasionally

    Make sure you scan/clean in safe mode, then do a manual fix (registry entries
    etc) if you want to be fussy.

    Did you use NAV5 to do this virus scan
    NAV5 was obselete years ago. NAV is GENERALLY very good.
    Some AV programs will detect viruses in other AV proggies quarenteen folder
    A few Av proggies detect SOME spyware as a virus/trogan (not a bad thing).
    blah.vir or such for a backup & other progies see this as an active virus.
    A few Av proggies detect SOME spyware as a virus/trogan (not a bad thing).

    Steve Robertson, May 14, 2004
  17. David Keane

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 07:00:44 GMT, (Steve Robertson)
    wrote:

    >>I disinfected someone's computer recently and AVG6 was the only one of
    >>three AV progs, including Nortons, that detected the virus. I have
    >>had trouble with Norton AV5 so stopped using it. It occasionally

    >Make sure you scan/clean in safe mode, then do a manual fix (registry entries
    >etc) if you want to be fussy.
    >
    >Did you use NAV5 to do this virus scan

    No, the latest version.

    GraB, May 14, 2004