Free file hosting?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the lines
    of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It is a
    little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.

    Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present :-(

    TIA
     
    -=rjh=-, Jun 10, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. -=rjh=-

    Rob Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    news:42a904f9$...
    > Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the lines
    > of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It is a
    > little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.
    >
    > Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present :-(
    >
    > TIA


    You don't get much for nothing these days and you pay for what you get. How
    much diskspace were you after, as orcon used to provide free diskspace,
    although I am not sure if they still do.
     
    Rob, Jun 10, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. -=rjh=-

    Ripping Silk Guest

    http://www.myfilestash.com

    maybe what you need ?

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the lines
    > of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It is a
    > little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.
    >
    > Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present :-(
    >
    > TIA
     
    Ripping Silk, Jun 10, 2005
    #3
  4. 2.5GB 60 USD yearly
    4.0GB 120 USD yearly

    Please follow link in my signature to see full plan details.
    Regards,

    --
    锘緿uoservers Web Hosting
    http://www.duoservers.com/?r=lionel2
     
    DuoServers Web Hosting, Jun 10, 2005
    #4
  5. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Ripping Silk wrote:
    > http://www.myfilestash.com
    >
    > maybe what you need ?
    >
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the
    >> lines of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It
    >> is a little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present :-(
    >>
    >> TIA


    Yup, that's the kind of thing. I'll see how they look. Thanks.
     
    -=rjh=-, Jun 10, 2005
    #5
  6. -=rjh=-

    JC Guest

    In article <42a904f9$>, says...
    > Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the lines
    > of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It is a
    > little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.
    >
    > Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present :-(
    >
    > TIA
    >

    http://www.ripway.com/
     
    JC, Jun 10, 2005
    #6
  7. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > news:42a904f9$...
    >
    >>Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the lines
    >>of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It is a
    >>little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present :-(
    >>
    >>TIA

    >
    >
    > You don't get much for nothing these days and you pay for what you get. How
    > much diskspace were you after, as orcon used to provide free diskspace,
    > although I am not sure if they still do.
    >
    >


    You get an awful lot for free these days - if you know where to look.
    Flickr and blogspot (or blogger+hello) are good examples of this. I'm
    already using both of the above, and looking for something to fill in
    the last pieces to the puzzle.

    Orcon dropped their free webhosting recently unfortunately, and I
    already have an account with them - but the storage space (10MB) is full
    :)

    Something that is ISP independent might be better anyway. Something like
    5gigs sounds OK, although I've never used them.
     
    -=rjh=-, Jun 10, 2005
    #7
  8. In article <1118375447.169776@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    >You don't get much for nothing these days and you pay for what you get.


    Disk space costs peanuts to provide these days, hence free gigabyte
    e-mail accounts.

    Internet bandwidth, on the other hand, still costs money.
     
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 11, 2005
    #8
  9. -=rjh=-

    Rob Guest

    "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <1118375447.169776@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >You don't get much for nothing these days and you pay for what you get.

    >
    > Disk space costs peanuts to provide these days, hence free gigabyte
    > e-mail accounts.
    >
    > Internet bandwidth, on the other hand, still costs money.


    Bandwidth in the US isn't much compared to here. The biggest cost is the
    staff to run the servers and to keep it all ticking over. The infrastructure
    of the network also costs, as does power etc.
     
    Rob, Jun 16, 2005
    #9
  10. In article <1118897975.389841@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    >"Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> In article <1118375447.169776@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >You don't get much for nothing these days and you pay for what you get.

    >>
    >> Disk space costs peanuts to provide these days, hence free gigabyte
    >> e-mail accounts.
    >>
    >> Internet bandwidth, on the other hand, still costs money.

    >
    >Bandwidth in the US isn't much compared to here.


    Once upon a time, the US used to insist that other countries pay for the
    privilege of having a connection to _it_, rather than _it_ pay any part
    of the cost of connecting to _them_. I wonder if that still applies?

    >The biggest cost is the
    >staff to run the servers and to keep it all ticking over. The infrastructure
    >of the network also costs, as does power etc.


    Yes, but most of those costs vary very little as a function of the
    amount of storage space you're offering.
     
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JaR
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    443
  2. W3HUB

    100MB Web Hosting Free Domain $34.80/year

    W3HUB, Jan 17, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    458
    Richard
    Jan 17, 2004
  3. Bhoona

    US web hosting or UK web hosting comapnies?

    Bhoona, Mar 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    556
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com
    Mar 4, 2004
  4. mutant

    Free Blogs, Free Blog Hosting

    mutant, Nov 27, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    370
    mutant
    Nov 27, 2005
  5. darkknight
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    803
Loading...

Share This Page