    Nice to see Micro$oft making it *very* easy for people to take up on its
    offer. But that is par for the course for Micro$oft.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 11, 2006

  2. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > http://internet.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/10/2124256&from=rss
    >
    > LOL!
    >
    > Nice to see Micro$oft making it *very* easy for people to take up on its
    > offer. But that is par for the course for Micro$oft.

    I got a hint of sarcasm? The offer is for a free domain, hosted by
    Microsoft. AFAIK Microsoft is not giving away a domain, but a full service,
    part of the Live series of products. The person registered the domain for
    free, and is trying to get away without paying the annual domain fee.

    Does it sound fair to have the domain for free and also want to host
    somewhere else? I would recommend simply register the domain with the
    preferred registrar and it's his to keep, no complains, right?

    I don't see people hosting with Google trying to move from their hosting,
    neither complaining. But since this is hosted with Microsoft, then it is
    reason enough to try to raise some points, just in case.

    Remember, the Microsoft Office Live offers free domain, e-mail accounts,
    *AND* hosting:
    http://ideas.live.com/programPage.aspx?versionId=11b1081d-cfb0-4511-acb5-55db6b49f7de

    Also, Melbourne IT is known here in New Zealand through its local
    operations: domainz.net.nz

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 11, 2006

  3. On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:56:50 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > Remember, the Microsoft Office Live offers free domain, e-mail accounts,
    > *AND* hosting:
    > http://ideas.live.com/programPage.aspx?versionId=11b1081d-cfb0-4511-acb5-55db6b49f7de

    I did use their email hosting for a little bit, I found it quite neat that
    people could check your domain name email through the familiar hotmail
    interface. I didn't like the idea of hosting business emails on hotmail
    servers for some reason, so I thought better of it.

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Apr 11, 2006
  4. On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:56:50 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > Remember, the Microsoft Office Live offers free domain, e-mail accounts,
    > *AND* hosting:

    But dude - who in their right mind would let Micro$oft touch their website?

    Much better to get it hosted by a reputable company rather than by
    Micro$oft.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 11, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Brendon Guest

    Yeh, ok, look - we get the message you don't like Microsoft. Fine. No
    problems here. But do you honestly have to keep going on and on about it?
    The people that generally visit this forum are IMO pretty clever enough to
    figure out if they like it or not. Yeh, fine - provide links to some
    articles of topical interest, but FFS - not every bloody day!
    Stop playing the same record over and over.

    Brendon

    Brendon, Apr 11, 2006
  6. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:56:50 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> Remember, the Microsoft Office Live offers free domain, e-mail accounts,
    >> *AND* hosting:

    > But dude - who in their right mind would let Micro$oft touch their
    > website?
    >
    > Much better to get it hosted by a reputable company rather than by
    > Micro$oft.

    Demographics. The objective of this Microsoft Office Live service is to
    offer companies with no clue Internet business an easy entry into the thing:
    email, domain, hosting. No fuss, no mess with "register domain, find
    hosting, transfer DNS records, configure MX record, have mail server
    installed, configure software, mess with updates".

    It's free, so you get what you pay. It's easy to use, and will attract
    people with no skills and no budget for IT.

    If the guy is capable of doing what he put on the article - manually
    transferring a domain, hosting itself and configuring the rest, then he
    should know better than to go for the free option.

    I run a Microsoft Exchange server at home. I am capable of doing this. Some
    people are not, so their options are either pay (lots) for a service, or use
    one that will give them just what they need, nothing else. And some are
    happy with this option.

    A lot of people started with geocities, and today they moved on. Most people
    on the Internet are readers, and this kind of initiative (alongside with
    Google Pages) gives people the chance to be publishers and put their
    companies out there. Give them a chance...

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 11, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Enkidu Guest

    Enkidu, Apr 11, 2006
  8. On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:02:54 +1200, Brendon wrote:

    > Yeh, fine - provide links to some
    > articles of topical interest, but FFS - not every bloody day!

    You don't have to read them. I certainly don't read every post or every
    thread. Read what you want to read - because you want to read it not
    simply because it's there.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand:
    How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 12, 2006
  9. On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:05:03 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > Demographics. The objective of this Microsoft Office Live service is to
    > offer companies with no clue Internet business an easy entry into the thing:
    > email, domain, hosting. No fuss, no mess with "register domain, find
    > hosting, transfer DNS records, configure MX record, have mail server
    > installed, configure software, mess with updates".

    That's just the thing. Micro$oft is giving the unknown to the clueless who
    choose to remain clueless rather than actually learn about what they're
    wanting to do.

    That is not a good thing.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 12, 2006
  10. On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:06:31 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Betcha he gets billed by MelbourneIT for the renewal.

    Maybe. But he doesn't need to keep it. ;op

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 12, 2006
  11. On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:47:13 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > That's just the thing. Micro$oft is giving the unknown to the clueless who
    > choose to remain clueless rather than actually learn about what they're
    > wanting to do.
    >
    > That is not a good thing.

    Not having an option for these people is perhaps a bigger no-no. The
    education they seek is available on the internet. You can't force people
    to learn what they don't want to know. Ask any teacher:)

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Apr 12, 2006
  12. On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:21:10 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    >> That's just the thing. Micro$oft is giving the unknown to the clueless who
    >> choose to remain clueless rather than actually learn about what they're
    >> wanting to do.
    >>
    >> That is not a good thing.

    > Not having an option for these people is perhaps a bigger no-no. The
    > education they seek is available on the internet. You can't force people
    > to learn what they don't want to know. Ask any teacher:)

    So if they don't want to learn about IT stuff, then why on earth should
    they expect the rest of the planet to suffer from the results of their
    willful incompetance?

    If instantly overnight all the computing illiterati suddenly were not able
    to turn on their com... err... "Productivity Tools" then all the viruses
    would be instantly wiped out.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 12, 2006
  13. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:21:10 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >>> That's just the thing. Micro$oft is giving the unknown to the clueless
    >>> who
    >>> choose to remain clueless rather than actually learn about what they're
    >>> wanting to do.
    >>>
    >>> That is not a good thing.

    >> Not having an option for these people is perhaps a bigger no-no. The
    >> education they seek is available on the internet. You can't force people
    >> to learn what they don't want to know. Ask any teacher:)

    > So if they don't want to learn about IT stuff, then why on earth should
    > they expect the rest of the planet to suffer from the results of their
    > willful incompetance?

    How the rest of the world will suffer if John Doe from John Doe, Associates
    & Co Ltd decides to create a website for his company, and get some e-mail
    addresses, and by the way, on the process doing it for free with an offer
    for domain registration, email and domain hosting from a certain company
    instead of doing it the hard way, i.e. registering the domain, manually
    creating his website, uploading files, configuring servers, etc?

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 12, 2006
  14. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:43:15 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:21:10 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >>> That's just the thing. Micro$oft is giving the unknown to the clueless who
    >>> choose to remain clueless rather than actually learn about what they're
    >>> wanting to do.
    >>>
    >>> That is not a good thing.

    >> Not having an option for these people is perhaps a bigger no-no. The
    >> education they seek is available on the internet. You can't force people
    >> to learn what they don't want to know. Ask any teacher:)

    >So if they don't want to learn about IT stuff, then why on earth should
    >they expect the rest of the planet to suffer from the results of their
    >willful incompetance?
    >
    >If instantly overnight all the computing illiterati suddenly were not able
    >to turn on their com... err... "Productivity Tools" then all the viruses
    >would be instantly wiped out.

    What are you worried about other people having viruses for? You keep on telling
    us they don't effect you on your linux systems.

    Craig Shore, Apr 14, 2006
  15. On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:12:55 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:

    >>If instantly overnight all the computing illiterati suddenly were not
    >>able to turn on their com... err... "Productivity Tools" then all the
    >>viruses would be instantly wiped out.

    > What are you worried about other people having viruses for? You keep on
    > telling us they don't effect you on your linux systems.

    They don't.

    But they are a performance hit to the Internet.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 14, 2006
  16. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Bette Noir Guest

    On , , Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:44:59 +1200, Re: Free domains? Thank
    you, Microsoft!, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:02:54 +1200, Brendon wrote:
    >
    >> Yeh, fine - provide links to some
    >> articles of topical interest, but FFS - not every bloody day!

    >You don't have to read them. I certainly don't read every post or every
    >thread. Read what you want to read - because you want to read it not
    >simply because it's there.

    What is forcing you to keep posting such garbage?
    Do you get some kind of perverse sexual thrill from doing so?

    ---
    "...Duas tantum res anxius optat,
    Panem et circenses." --Juvenal

    Bette Noir, Apr 14, 2006