    Thanks

    Bari Pollard
    www.amsac.org.uk

    Bari Pollard, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Bari Pollard

    Andre Guest

    Thanks Bari,

    That is nice software. I am still trying to figure out what is the catch?
    What is in it for them?

    Andre
    http://www.windowseat.nl

    Andre, Oct 14, 2004

  3. "Bari Pollard" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.picasa.com/picasa/
    >
    > I have just come across this software and first impressions are very good.
    >
    > Can't fault the operation and it is free as well.

    I have it, and have a problem with it. I store my photos on CDs, like many
    folks do. Picasa only works on hard drives.
    Google just announced a new search engine for PCs that finds pictures also.
    Free download at www.desktop.google.com. I downloaded it, but haven't had
    time to install it and try it.

    Marvin Margoshes, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Bari Pollard

    Buster Guest

    Copernic Desktop Search has been doing the same as this new Google
    application does for ages and doing it exceptionally well.

    Buster, Oct 14, 2004
  5. Bari Pollard

    Paul Guest

    Free "spyware" is what you get

    Paul, Oct 14, 2004
  6. Bari Pollard

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Andre" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Bari,
    >
    > That is nice software. I am still trying to figure out what is the catch?
    > What is in it for them?
    >
    > Andre
    > http://www.windowseat.nl

    It used to be commercial software that sold for $30 or so when Picasa was an
    independent company. Google bought them and released it as freeware. I
    assume the idea is to get people using the album software to drive print
    sales and/or photo hosting subscriptions. This is the same model as used by
    fototime.com with their fotoalbum software (except that fotoalbum started
    out a freeware but is now free only for fototime subscribers). I actually
    like fotoalbum better than picasa. It's not as flashy, but it is a lot more
    configurable and handles RAW files. Picasa is pretty impressive for free,
    though.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Oct 15, 2004
  7. Bari Pollard

    Big Bill Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:52:33 +0100, "Paul" <>
    wrote:

    >Free "spyware" is what you get

    Do you have any details on which spyware?
    I'm sure Google would like to know what you found.

    >"Marvin Margoshes" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bari Pollard" <> wrote in message
    >> > http://www.picasa.com/picasa/
    >> >
    >> > I have just come across this software and first impressions are very

    >good.
    >> >
    >> > Can't fault the operation and it is free as well.

    >> I have it, and have a problem with it. I store my photos on CDs, like

    >many
    >> folks do. Picasa only works on hard drives.
    >> Google just announced a new search engine for PCs that finds pictures

    >also.
    >> Free download at www.desktop.google.com. I downloaded it, but haven't had
    >> time to install it and try it.
    >>

    >> > Hope it is useful for someone.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > Bari Pollard
    >> > www.amsac.org.uk

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Oct 15, 2004
  8. Bari Pollard

    Jer Guest

    Big Bill wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:52:33 +0100, "Paul" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Free "spyware" is what you get

    > Do you have any details on which spyware?
    > I'm sure Google would like to know what you found.

    FYI -- Having performed a normal download and installation of Picasa,
    and subsequently scanning full system with Norton Antivirus 2004 and
    Ad-aware 6.0 (both with fresh reference files), I find no indication of
    any virus nor spyware present on my Windows XP SP2 system.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 15, 2004
  9. Bari Pollard

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:51:50 -0500, Jer <> wrote:

    >Big Bill wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:52:33 +0100, "Paul" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Free "spyware" is what you get

    >> Do you have any details on which spyware?
    >> I'm sure Google would like to know what you found.

    >FYI -- Having performed a normal download and installation of Picasa,
    >and subsequently scanning full system with Norton Antivirus 2004 and
    >Ad-aware 6.0 (both with fresh reference files), I find no indication of
    >any virus nor spyware present on my Windows XP SP2 system.

    I didn't think so.
    Picasa is a respected app, and I seriously doubt Google would include
    spyware since buying it.
    I think "Paul" is being a troll.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Oct 15, 2004
  10. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Free "spyware" is what you get

    I've now installed Google desktop, and like it. Picasa does a better job
    for pictures IMHO. You can set it up not to send any information to Google.
    And I use a firewall that lets me block outgoing messages to places I don't
    know or don't trust.

    Marvin Margoshes, Oct 15, 2004
  11. Bari Pollard

    Matt Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:15:41 -0700, Big Bill <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:51:50 -0500, Jer <> wrote:
    >
    >>Big Bill wrote:

    >>> Do you have any details on which spyware?
    >>> I'm sure Google would like to know what you found.

    >>FYI -- Having performed a normal download and installation of Picasa,
    >>and subsequently scanning full system with Norton Antivirus 2004 and
    >>Ad-aware 6.0 (both with fresh reference files), I find no indication of
    >>any virus nor spyware present on my Windows XP SP2 system.

    >I didn't think so.
    >Picasa is a respected app, and I seriously doubt Google would include
    >spyware since buying it.
    >I think "Paul" is being a troll.

    One thing that the folks at alt.comp.freeware caught it doing...

    If you look at the "order prints" dialog (but not actually order), it
    helpfully sneaks your primary email address from Outlook Express, and
    registers you - next you will receive an email thanking you for
    registering.

    - at least, that's the gist of the reports I was reading there.

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

    Matt, Oct 18, 2004
  12. Bari Pollard

    Jer Guest

    Matt wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:15:41 -0700, Big Bill <> wrote:

    >>>FYI -- Having performed a normal download and installation of Picasa,
    >>>and subsequently scanning full system with Norton Antivirus 2004 and
    >>>Ad-aware 6.0 (both with fresh reference files), I find no indication of
    >>>any virus nor spyware present on my Windows XP SP2 system.

    >>I didn't think so.
    >>Picasa is a respected app, and I seriously doubt Google would include
    >>spyware since buying it.
    >>I think "Paul" is being a troll.

    > One thing that the folks at alt.comp.freeware caught it doing...
    >
    > If you look at the "order prints" dialog (but not actually order), it
    > helpfully sneaks your primary email address from Outlook Express, and
    > registers you - next you will receive an email thanking you for
    > registering.
    >
    > - at least, that's the gist of the reports I was reading there.

    Picusa v1.618 that I tested the other day only asked me to register my
    email when the program first opened, I clicked on the "no way Jose"
    button and it's been quiet since.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 19, 2004
  13. Bari Pollard

    DM Guest

    When I installed it and started it, two programs tried to call home,
    but my firewall caught them both. This happens every time you use picasa.
    I don't need any digital album software connecting to the net, heck it's
    not a web browser, it has no business sending my information back to the
    companies. I stopped using it.

    DM, Oct 19, 2004
  14. Bari Pollard

    Jer Guest

    DM wrote:

    > When I installed it and started it, two programs tried to call home,
    > but my firewall caught them both. This happens every time you use picasa.
    > I don't need any digital album software connecting to the net, heck it's
    > not a web browser, it has no business sending my information back to the
    > companies. I stopped using it.

    That's an interesting angle... I just logged TCP and UDP i/o packets
    while doing the same thing here and the log was empty afterwards. Mind
    you, it did attempt to register me just after installation, which I said
    no, but nothing since.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 19, 2004
  15. Bari Pollard

    Big Bill Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:45:18 GMT, Matt <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:15:41 -0700, Big Bill <> wrote:

    >>>FYI -- Having performed a normal download and installation of Picasa,
    >>>and subsequently scanning full system with Norton Antivirus 2004 and
    >>>Ad-aware 6.0 (both with fresh reference files), I find no indication of
    >>>any virus nor spyware present on my Windows XP SP2 system.

    >>I didn't think so.
    >>Picasa is a respected app, and I seriously doubt Google would include
    >>spyware since buying it.
    >>I think "Paul" is being a troll.

    >One thing that the folks at alt.comp.freeware caught it doing...
    >
    >If you look at the "order prints" dialog (but not actually order), it
    >helpfully sneaks your primary email address from Outlook Express, and
    >registers you - next you will receive an email thanking you for
    >registering.
    >
    >- at least, that's the gist of the reports I was reading there.

    Well, if you want to use Outlook Express, maybe you deserve such! :)

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Oct 19, 2004
  16. Bari Pollard

    Jer Guest

    Big Bill wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:45:18 GMT, Matt <>
    > wrote:

    >>>I didn't think so.
    >>>Picasa is a respected app, and I seriously doubt Google would include
    >>>spyware since buying it.
    >>>I think "Paul" is being a troll.

    >>One thing that the folks at alt.comp.freeware caught it doing...
    >>
    >>If you look at the "order prints" dialog (but not actually order), it
    >>helpfully sneaks your primary email address from Outlook Express, and
    >>registers you - next you will receive an email thanking you for
    >>registering.
    >>
    >>- at least, that's the gist of the reports I was reading there.

    > Well, if you want to use Outlook Express, maybe you deserve such! :)
    >
    > Bill Funk
    > Change "g" to "a"

    hmmm.... I hadn't considered that popular dependency - I don't use Outlook.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 20, 2004
  17. Bari Pollard

    Julian Guest

    Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 has a freeware version (Starter Edition) as
    well, which is pretty good. The only thing it doesn't do is viewing
    EXIF information (actually, not sure whether it preserves EXIF info
    either) but hey, the price is right.

    Jules
    http://www.shuttertalk.com
    Shuttertalk Forums Member

    Julian, Oct 20, 2004
  18. Bari Pollard

    Jer Guest

    Julian wrote:

    > Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 has a freeware version (Starter Edition) as
    > well, which is pretty good. The only thing it doesn't do is viewing
    > EXIF information (actually, not sure whether it preserves EXIF info
    > either) but hey, the price is right.
    >
    > Jules
    > http://www.shuttertalk.com
    > Shuttertalk Forums Member

    Well, if it doesn't read EXIF, I would never presume it preseves EXIF.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 20, 2004