    month, that's it). then just refer 10 people to it and wala, free
    camera. crazy.

    go here: http://digitalcameras.freepay.com/?r=21814049
    Stephen, Mar 14, 2006

  2. Stephen

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 13 Mar 2006 22:41:40 -0800, "Stephen" <> wrote:

    >this might sound like a gimick, but i recently signed up for a
    >&quot;free&quot; nikon camera online on one of those &quot;dicey&quot;
    >sales sites. it was for a 6 megapixel camera.
    >
    >i'm very anti web ad stuff, and this seemed pretty harmless. all your
    >doing is helping the sponsors get business, and if you can refer 10
    >people, then it's worth the digital camera for them.
    >
    >just wanted to spread the word that it totally worked. just go below
    >and sign up for only ONE offer (do the blockbuster one, it's the
    >easiest to cancel and only costs $10, then you cancel after your first
    >month, that's it). then just refer 10 people to it and wala, free
    >camera. crazy.
    >
    >go here: http://digitalcameras.freepay.com/?r=21814049

    First, this is a classic pyramid scheme.
    Second, I value my friends more than that.
    Third, evidently you haven't gotten your camera yet, so now you're
    spamming usenet.
    Fourth, it's "voila", not "wala", you cretin.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Stephen

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Stephen wrote:

    > this might sound like a gimmick

    no, it sounds like bollocks, Stephen, just like all these things do.

    --
    Paul (This is really happening, happening)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Mar 14, 2006
  4. Stephen

    Marvin Guest

    Stephen wrote:
    > this might sound like a gimick, but i recently signed up for a
    > &quot;free&quot; nikon camera online on one of those &quot;dicey&quot;
    > sales sites. it was for a 6 megapixel camera.
    >
    > i'm very anti web ad stuff, and this seemed pretty harmless. all your
    > doing is helping the sponsors get business, and if you can refer 10
    > people, then it's worth the digital camera for them.
    >
    > just wanted to spread the word that it totally worked. just go below
    > and sign up for only ONE offer (do the blockbuster one, it's the
    > easiest to cancel and only costs $10, then you cancel after your first
    > month, that's it). then just refer 10 people to it and wala, free
    > camera. crazy.
    >
    > go here: http://digitalcameras.freepay.com/?r=21814049

    My wise uncle, the lawyer, taught me that there is no such
    thing as a free lunch. The advice has served me well.

    Are you giving the site information you don't want other
    people to have? Do you think the site operator doesn't sell
    that information, or trade it to others? You can test it.
    Set up a new e-mail address, and use it only on that site.
    See how much spam you get to that e-mail address.
    Marvin, Mar 14, 2006
  5. Stephen

    Guest

    If you read the fine print on these types of things, it usually says
    that all 10 people that you refer need to sign up for an offer, too,
    for you to get the free thing.
    , Mar 15, 2006
  6. Stephen

    Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > If you read the fine print on these types of things, it usually says
    > that all 10 people that you refer need to sign up for an offer, too,
    > for you to get the free thing.

    Hi

    If these people would apply some arithmetic to the process, they would see
    that the chances of getting a $200 camera free are remote.

    Assuming that the site owners get 5% commission and are not making a profit,
    there would need to be $4000 business generated by the referer. At $10 per
    sign up this means he would need to get 400 people to sign up.

    If the site owners are taking a profit equal to the goods they "Give" away,
    then 800 people need to sign up.

    If the commisssion is 2.5% that requires 1600 people to sign up.

    And of course, some of the people he refers will join up on their own
    behalf, and not participate in his part of the scheme. So we are probably
    talking about 2000 people.

    All of this has to be done in 90 days, and the exclusion clauses are so
    comprehensive, that any little thing they can think of, is reason enough to
    withold the "free" goods.

    In particular they exclude him from assisting his contacts to make the sign
    up.

    As I said, I would like to hear if and when he ever gets his "Free" Camera.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Mar 16, 2006
  7. Stephen

    John Fryatt Guest

    Stephen wrote:
    > this might sound like a gimick,

    Strangely enough, yes it does. Disappear!
    John Fryatt, Mar 16, 2006
  8. Stephen

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:57:57 GMT, "Roy G"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> If you read the fine print on these types of things, it usually says
    >> that all 10 people that you refer need to sign up for an offer, too,
    >> for you to get the free thing.
    >>

    >Hi
    >
    >If these people would apply some arithmetic to the process, they would see
    >that the chances of getting a $200 camera free are remote.
    >
    >Assuming that the site owners get 5% commission and are not making a profit,
    >there would need to be $4000 business generated by the referer. At $10 per
    >sign up this means he would need to get 400 people to sign up.
    >
    >If the site owners are taking a profit equal to the goods they "Give" away,
    >then 800 people need to sign up.
    >
    >If the commisssion is 2.5% that requires 1600 people to sign up.
    >
    >And of course, some of the people he refers will join up on their own
    >behalf, and not participate in his part of the scheme. So we are probably
    >talking about 2000 people.
    >
    >All of this has to be done in 90 days, and the exclusion clauses are so
    >comprehensive, that any little thing they can think of, is reason enough to
    >withold the "free" goods.
    >
    >In particular they exclude him from assisting his contacts to make the sign
    >up.
    >
    >As I said, I would like to hear if and when he ever gets his "Free" Camera.
    >
    >Roy G

    Many do.
    Where the value of this type of promotion comes from is the list of
    names/email addys. These lists are comprised of people who are known
    to respond to free offers, and to sign up for them when they perceive
    a "value"; IOW, suckers.
    Such lists are far more valuable than lists taken from phone books, or
    harvested from newsgroups, etc. These lists are like gold: the people
    on such lists will buy things, because they are greedy, and greed
    makes people do strange things, like buy pills for 'enlargement' or
    'weight loss', or 10MP cameras for $39.95, or stocks 'poised for
    take-off'.
    Oh, yes, there's money in them thar lists.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Mar 16, 2006
  9. writes:
    >If you read the fine print on these types of things, it usually says
    >that all 10 people that you refer need to sign up for an offer, too,
    >for you to get the free thing.

    And if you think about *that* for more than a few seconds, you should
    realize that no matter how many people sign up, at most 9% of them
    (1/11) could possibly get the free camera. The other 10/11, at least,
    get nothing.

    Which is why people who participate in these things are stupid, ones who
    try to sign up their friends are cretins, and ones who spam USENET
    trying to suck in random strangers are even worse.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Mar 16, 2006