Free calling on Prepai Telecom phones

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by TEX, May 31, 2005.

  1. TEX

    TEX Guest

    Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    credit!!!!!

    Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    phone to make calls overseas.

    There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL

    TEX
    TEX, May 31, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. TEX

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:21:19 +1200, TEX <> wrote:

    >Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    >credit!!!!!
    >
    >Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    >phone to make calls overseas.
    >
    >There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    >200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL
    >
    >TEX

    Bugger missed that, I paid 8 bucks for my call, but wots with telecom,
    all day I kept getting texts fail, 3 4 5 times, choice words were
    uttered. Then to add insult to injury my telescum landline is now
    dead after cutting me off over 5 times from an extremely important
    toll call.


    Squirrel


    I'm only scarey cos I'm hairy
    Squirrel, May 31, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. TEX

    ofn01 Guest

    TEX wrote:
    > Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    > allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    > credit!!!!!
    >
    > Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    > phone to make calls overseas.
    >
    > There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    > 200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL
    >
    > TEX


    They could possibly put your prepay account into debt so that when it is
    topped up it does not go into credit until you've paid it off...
    ofn01, May 31, 2005
    #3
  4. On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:21:19 +1200, TEX <> wrote:

    >Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    >credit!!!!!
    >
    >Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    >phone to make calls overseas.
    >
    >There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    >200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL


    There is no such thing as a $10 prepaid card
    The minimum is $20, $10 cards are promos only not sold
    FreedomChooser, May 31, 2005
    #4
  5. TEX

    TEX Guest

    Squirrel wrote:

    > On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:21:19 +1200, TEX <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >>allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    >>credit!!!!!
    >>
    >>Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    >>phone to make calls overseas.
    >>
    >>There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    >>200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL
    >>
    >>TEX

    >
    > Bugger missed that, I paid 8 bucks for my call, but wots with telecom,
    > all day I kept getting texts fail, 3 4 5 times, choice words were
    > uttered. Then to add insult to injury my telescum landline is now
    > dead after cutting me off over 5 times from an extremely important
    > toll call.
    >
    >
    > Squirrel
    >
    >
    > I'm only scarey cos I'm hairy


    All your faults you were getting is probably why the "bug" was found.
    Probably some internal network issue AKA (Probably hacked, like the
    other week with the voice mail saga). All my mates have been calling
    hard out all day, until finally at about 10:00 they got toll bared.
    Enough to not even be abel to top the phone up using the telecom number.
    They had to directly call telecom and give them the pin over the phone.
    Can find any write ups about it on the news sites, but I guess xtra news
    aint really gonna advertsie that they have a problem on thier web site :)

    TEX
    TEX, May 31, 2005
    #5
  6. TEX

    JC Guest

    In article <>,
    and says...
    > On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:21:19 +1200, TEX <> wrote:
    >
    > >Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    > >allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    > >credit!!!!!
    > >
    > >Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    > >phone to make calls overseas.
    > >
    > >There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    > >200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL

    >
    > There is no such thing as a $10 prepaid card
    > The minimum is $20, $10 cards are promos only not sold
    >

    Want a bet? I have bought $10 prepaid cards quite a few times.
    JC, May 31, 2005
    #6
  7. In message <>, JC
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> There is no such thing as a $10 prepaid card
    >> The minimum is $20, $10 cards are promos only not sold
    >>

    >Want a bet? I have bought $10 prepaid cards quite a few times.


    Boost have them, and they work in any Telecom network phone. There
    aren't any Telecom branded retail prepay cards. (AIUI)

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, May 31, 2005
    #7
  8. TEX

    TEX Guest

    FreedomChooser wrote:

    > On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:21:19 +1200, TEX <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >>allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    >>credit!!!!!
    >>
    >>Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    >>phone to make calls overseas.
    >>
    >>There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    >>200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL

    >
    >
    > There is no such thing as a $10 prepaid card
    > The minimum is $20, $10 cards are promos only not sold
    >


    As far as I know there is....I just happen to have a few here. Maybe I
    am just special.

    TEX
    TEX, May 31, 2005
    #8
  9. TEX

    Andrew Guest

    FreedomChooser wrote:
    > On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:21:19 +1200, TEX <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >>allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    >>credit!!!!!
    >>
    >>Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    >>phone to make calls overseas.
    >>
    >>There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    >>200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL

    >
    >
    > There is no such thing as a $10 prepaid card
    > The minimum is $20, $10 cards are promos only not sold
    >

    Its only vodafone that doesnt have a $10 card
    Andrew, May 31, 2005
    #9
  10. TEX

    Krazy Bob Guest

    I heard about this also.....but i did not work out for me.
    I tried making calls but i got the sorry you do not have enough credit to
    make this call message.

    "TEX" <> wrote in message news:429c2588$...
    > Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which allowed
    > ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any credit!!!!!
    >
    > Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    > phone to make calls overseas.
    >
    > There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get 200
    > $10 prepai cards please". LOL
    >
    > TEX
    Krazy Bob, May 31, 2005
    #10
  11. TEX

    Andrew Guest

    TEX wrote:
    > Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    > allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    > credit!!!!!
    >
    > Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    > phone to make calls overseas.
    >
    > There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    > 200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL
    >
    > TEX


    from stuff.co.nz


    Heavy use caused Telecom's 027 network to crash yesterday, leaving some
    customers unable to use their mobile phones for several hours.

    A delay in updating pre-pay billing on the 027 network led to some
    customers thinking they were making mobile calls for free. The resulting
    congestion meant some customers reported being unable to make and
    receive calls.

    However, Telecom said the billing problem was only a delay, and
    customers would be debited for the calls they made.

    Telecom spokesman John Goulter said a new piece of equipment installed
    on the network yesterday morning was faulty, triggering the problem.
    Calls made to and from 027 phones south of Auckland and north of
    Kaikoura were affected, he said. The fault affected Telecom's 500,000
    027 pre-pay customers.

    "When some customers have found their account balance did not change
    immediately after making a call they've gone on to make lots more calls,
    leading to congestion on the network.

    "We're asking customers not to make calls if they're not necessary," Mr
    Goulter said.

    The problem would be fixed overnight, he said.

    It would require switching off the entire network for a few minutes, so
    Telecom was waiting until the early hours of the morning, when usage was
    at a minimum.
    Andrew, Jun 1, 2005
    #11
  12. TEX

    steve Guest

    TEX wrote:

    > Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    > allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    > credit!!!!!
    >
    > Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    > phone to make calls overseas.
    >
    > There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    > 200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL
    >
    > TEX


    The only way to avoid paying is to buy a new pre-paid phone and this assumes
    Telecom didn't know who owned the current one.

    My daughter has a school mate who ran up$49 worth of calls on his
    outta-money pre-pay phone.

    If she wants to make any more calls on it, she needs to feed in $49+ to
    bring the account into credit.
    steve, Jun 1, 2005
    #12
  13. TEX

    steve Guest

    ofn01 wrote:

    > TEX wrote:
    >> Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >> allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    >> credit!!!!!
    >>
    >> Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    >> phone to make calls overseas.
    >>
    >> There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    >> 200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL
    >>
    >> TEX

    >
    > They could possibly put your prepay account into debt so that when it is
    > topped up it does not go into credit until you've paid it off...


    That is exactly what they are doing......I'm told.

    I don't have a Telecom pre-pay......just Vodaphone.
    steve, Jun 1, 2005
    #13
  14. TEX

    steve Guest

    steve wrote:

    > My daughter has a school mate who ran up$49 worth of calls on his
    > outta-money pre-pay phone.


    Shoulda been "her"...not "his".

    > If she wants to make any more calls on it, she needs to feed in $49+ to
    > bring the account into credit.
    steve, Jun 1, 2005
    #14
  15. Andrew wrote:
    >> Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >> allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    >> credit!!!!!


    > However, Telecom said the billing problem was only a delay, and
    > customers would be debited for the calls they made.


    buhuhahhahahaha
    should be a bit of a laugh listening to some of the calls to the
    helpdesk today.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2005
    #15
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >>> allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    >>> credit!!!!!


    >> However, Telecom said the billing problem was only a delay, and
    >> customers would be debited for the calls they made.


    > buhuhahhahahaha
    > should be a bit of a laugh listening to some of the calls to the
    > helpdesk today.


    should=it would... man, bad day.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2005
    #16
  17. TEX

    TEX Guest

    steve wrote:

    > TEX wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >>allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    >>credit!!!!!
    >>
    >>Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    >>phone to make calls overseas.
    >>
    >>There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    >>200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL
    >>
    >>TEX

    >
    >
    > The only way to avoid paying is to buy a new pre-paid phone and this assumes
    > Telecom didn't know who owned the current one.
    >
    > My daughter has a school mate who ran up$49 worth of calls on his
    > outta-money pre-pay phone.
    >
    > If she wants to make any more calls on it, she needs to feed in $49+ to
    > bring the account into credit.
    >
    >


    They can't honestly hold you to it though can they??? Telecom would be
    stupid not to wipe the accounts of all those prepaid users, cos it would
    be such a good reason for everyone to change to vodafone, considering
    they doing free 021 to 021 txting over the weekend at the mo.

    I can see trademe flooded with useless phones that need to be topped up...

    TEX
    TEX, Jun 1, 2005
    #17
  18. TEX

    Richard Guest

    TEX wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> TEX wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >>> allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    >>> credit!!!!!
    >>>
    >>> Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    >>> phone to make calls overseas.
    >>>
    >>> There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    >>> 200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL
    >>>
    >>> TEX

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> The only way to avoid paying is to buy a new pre-paid phone and this
    >> assumes
    >> Telecom didn't know who owned the current one.
    >> My daughter has a school mate who ran up$49 worth of calls on his
    >> outta-money pre-pay phone.
    >> If she wants to make any more calls on it, she needs to feed in $49+ to
    >> bring the account into credit.
    >>

    >
    > They can't honestly hold you to it though can they??? Telecom would be
    > stupid not to wipe the accounts of all those prepaid users, cos it would
    > be such a good reason for everyone to change to vodafone, considering
    > they doing free 021 to 021 txting over the weekend at the mo.


    How do they know whos it is. I always have hastles when calling up about my
    prepaid sim cards with vodafone because I cant remember what name I gave them to
    get the additional $10 for free... doh ;)
    Richard, Jun 1, 2005
    #18
  19. TEX

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > TEX wrote:
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> TEX wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >>>> allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have
    >>>> any credit!!!!!
    >>>>
    >>>> Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my
    >>>> flatmates phone to make calls overseas.
    >>>>
    >>>> There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I
    >>>> get 200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL
    >>>>
    >>>> TEX
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> The only way to avoid paying is to buy a new pre-paid phone and this
    >>> assumes
    >>> Telecom didn't know who owned the current one.
    >>> My daughter has a school mate who ran up$49 worth of calls on his
    >>> outta-money pre-pay phone.
    >>> If she wants to make any more calls on it, she needs to feed in
    >>> $49+ to bring the account into credit.
    >>>

    >>
    >> They can't honestly hold you to it though can they??? Telecom would
    >> be stupid not to wipe the accounts of all those prepaid users, cos
    >> it would be such a good reason for everyone to change to vodafone,
    >> considering they doing free 021 to 021 txting over the weekend at
    >> the mo.

    >
    > How do they know whos it is. I always have hastles when calling up
    > about my prepaid sim cards with vodafone because I cant remember what
    > name I gave them to get the additional $10 for free... doh ;)


    LOL, I had that once. They wanted the DOB I registered it with to turn off
    the voicemail. As it was totally fictional I made up a story about having
    bought it off a guy who went to the USA and I didn't know his DOB and only
    knew him casually. They flat-out refused to turn voicemail off. They told me
    I could be pulling a prank on someone elses phone. I told them to ring me
    back everyday and ask, it'll always be me. They wouldn't and didn't turn the
    voicemail off. I ditched it and went Telecom for a while.

    (Actually still have the Telecom phone, constatly plugged in as the battery
    is shot, in case anyone wants to get hold of me who doesn't have my new
    number. The thing is, I haven't put credit on that thing for 18 months+ and
    it still works. Has anyone actually heard of a phone being disconnected
    after the 12 months? I'm thinking that they really don't want to get rid of
    customers so they don't disconnect).
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 1, 2005
    #19
  20. TEX

    ofn01 Guest

    steve wrote:
    > ofn01 wrote:
    >
    >
    >>TEX wrote:
    >>
    >>>Who took advantage of the glitch on the telecom system today which
    >>>allowed ppl to use thier prepaid phones even when they don't have any
    >>>credit!!!!!
    >>>
    >>>Pissed that I don't have prepaid now.... :( But made use of my flatmates
    >>>phone to make calls overseas.
    >>>
    >>>There surely is no way they can make you pay for it.... "Hi can I get
    >>>200 $10 prepai cards please". LOL
    >>>
    >>>TEX

    >>
    >>They could possibly put your prepay account into debt so that when it is
    >>topped up it does not go into credit until you've paid it off...

    >
    >
    > That is exactly what they are doing......I'm told.
    >
    > I don't have a Telecom pre-pay......just Vodaphone.
    >


    Fair enough if they are as well. People get all up in arms if they think
    they've been over-billed (which could be down to a techincal glitch) but
    seem to have no problem being dishonest about techincal glitches in
    their favour.
    ofn01, Jun 1, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. TalkVoip
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    439
    trout
    Oct 26, 2004
  2. joseph
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,231
  3. FREECELLS

    GET FREE CELL PHONES and CAMERA PHONES!

    FREECELLS, Feb 11, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    341
    FREECELLS
    Feb 11, 2006
  4. ssgg

    GET FREE CELL PHONES and CAMERA PHONES!

    ssgg, Feb 12, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    339
  5. ssgg

    GET FREE CELL PHONES and CAMERA PHONES!

    ssgg, Feb 13, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    342
Loading...

Share This Page