    Mutlley Guest

    My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.

    TIA.

    Mutlley, Jul 11, 2005

  2. "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.

    I am running Avast now (www.avast.com) and it is working fine on my Windows
    XP Pro and Tablet PC. Not big interference, easy to configure and passed
    some tests.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Mutlley

    Chatterley Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.
    >
    > TIA.

    AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.

    Chatterley, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Mutlley

    Mutlley Guest

    "Chatterley" <> wrote:

    >"Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >> My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>

    >AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.

    Thanx for that.

    Mutlley, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Mutlley

    jedmeister Guest

    "Chatterley" <> wrote in message

    > "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >> My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>

    > AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.

    I have norton AV. It is OK, but their online activation software is utter
    crap.

    A while ago I had a problem while I was still within the subscription period
    but I could not reinstall due to some crap bullshit from the norton software
    itself. After much talking with them, they reactivated my key but now it
    seems to be perpetual.

    Now everytime I reinstall norton (each time windows xp needs a reinstall),
    the subscription extends by 1 year from the reinstallation date.

    They really need to sort this activation issue with their software. Whoever
    made it should be fired.

    jedmeister, Jul 11, 2005
  6. Mutlley

    XPD Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.
    >
    > TIA.

    I run it on my machines and have been installing it on client systems.....
    however, it seems to miss stuff that NAV finds, and vice versa :-/
    Client machine had a virus/trojan and their NAV picked it up but wouldnt
    kill it, but AVG, TrendMicro wouldnt find it.

    XPD, Jul 11, 2005
  7. Mutlley

    S Roby Guest

    S Roby, Jul 11, 2005
  8. Mutlley <> wrote:

    >My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.

    In my opinion, pretty much anything will be better than McAfee, but
    maybe the McAfee software has improved recently.

    One option is to get a free 12-month trial of Compter Associates' EZ
    Antivirus.

    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237002

    Or find it on this page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/default.mspx

    AVG seems fine as well. I happen to like the smaller footprint and
    more frequent updates of the EZAV product. It's also very inexpensive
    to buy, once the trial is over.

    Steve Marshall, Jul 11, 2005
  9. Mutlley

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:00:40 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >>AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.
    >>

    >Quoting
    >http://www.netguide.co.nz/knowhow/buyguide/print.php?iid=17
    >Pros: It's free
    >Cons: It doesn't work well

    That review was put up there on 2004-03-01, version 7 is an improvement. I
    prefer Avast, with its smaller almost daily updates, unlike AVG who sometimes
    drop a 5mb update on you which ain't cool on dialup.

    Invisible, Jul 11, 2005
  10. Mutlley

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mutlley <> wrote in

    > My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.
    >
    > TIA.

    No, it is easy but not without issues.
    Antivir or avast.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 11, 2005
  11. Mutlley

    Rob J Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:00:40 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >>AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.
    >>

    >Quoting
    >http://www.netguide.co.nz/knowhow/buyguide/print.php?iid=17
    >Pros: It's free
    >Cons: It doesn't work well
    >
    >Have a look here
    >http://www.icsa.net/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml
    >http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/index.xml
    >
    >The "Compter Associates' EZ Antivirus" that someone else recommended is
    >probhably the best free AV.

    There is no free CA eTrust.

    Rob J, Jul 11, 2005
  12. Mutlley

    Chatterley Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:00:40 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:
    >

    >>>AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.
    >>>

    >>Quoting
    >>http://www.netguide.co.nz/knowhow/buyguide/print.php?iid=17
    >>Pros: It's free
    >>Cons: It doesn't work well

    > That review was put up there on 2004-03-01, version 7 is an improvement. I
    > prefer Avast, with its smaller almost daily updates, unlike AVG who
    > sometimes
    > drop a 5mb update on you which ain't cool on dialup.

    with AVG you should turn off the automatic updates and scans in the
    Scheduler.
    Then just do them manually when it suits best.

    Chatterley, Jul 11, 2005
  13. Mutlley

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "jedmeister" <> wrote in message
    > "Chatterley" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >>> My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>

    >> AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.
    >>

    > I have norton AV. It is OK, but their online activation software is utter
    > crap.

    you forgotten the part about norton being a memory and resource hogger
    ;-)

    Krazy Bob, Jul 11, 2005