    Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7 notebook
    arriving tomorrow..
    TIA
    El.Plates, Oct 29, 2009

  2. I'd say the answer to this really depends on how much exposure to malware
    your computer will be getting by your activities.

    1. Are you good at recognising phishing mails, and avoid them?
    2. Do you visit shady sites, and download files and executables from unknown
    sources?
    3. Your external storage devices - USB pen-drives, hard-drives, CD's, and
    DVD's - do you share them with lots of other computers (friends' and public
    computers)?

    If you answered "yes," "no" and "no" respectively - all three exactly like
    that - only then you can consider your computer usage habits as "safe."

    And for safe usages, there is nothing better than Microsoft Security
    Essentials, which works seamlessly with, and equally quietly, efficiently
    and beautifully as Windows 7.

    I'm a safe user, and I've been on MSE for close to a month now without any
    issues. MSE once detected some malware in one of the mails in my spam
    folder, and removed it automatically. That's about the only time I realised
    I actually had an antivirus working on my PC!

    Hope this helps!

    Cheers!
    - Rajesh

    Rajesh Shenoy, Oct 29, 2009

  3. El.Plates

    El.Plates Guest

    "Rajesh Shenoy" <> wrote in message
    > I'd say the answer to this really depends on how much exposure to malware
    > your computer will be getting by your activities.
    >
    > 1. Are you good at recognising phishing mails, and avoid them?
    > 2. Do you visit shady sites, and download files and executables from
    > unknown sources?
    > 3. Your external storage devices - USB pen-drives, hard-drives, CD's, and
    > DVD's - do you share them with lots of other computers (friends' and
    > public computers)?
    >
    > If you answered "yes," "no" and "no" respectively - all three exactly like
    > that - only then you can consider your computer usage habits as "safe."
    >
    > And for safe usages, there is nothing better than Microsoft Security
    > Essentials, which works seamlessly with, and equally quietly, efficiently
    > and beautifully as Windows 7.
    >
    > I'm a safe user, and I've been on MSE for close to a month now without any
    > issues. MSE once detected some malware in one of the mails in my spam
    > folder, and removed it automatically. That's about the only time I
    > realised I actually had an antivirus working on my PC!
    >
    > Hope this helps!
    >
    > Cheers!
    > - Rajesh
    >
    > "El.Plates" <> wrote in message
    >> Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7
    >> notebook arriving tomorrow..
    >> TIA

    I have always used the free Avira 32bit AV and would prefer something like
    this with a tried and tested history rather than a Microsoft AV

    El.Plates, Oct 29, 2009
  4. El.Plates

    Jane C Guest

    El.Plates wrote:
    > Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7
    > notebook arriving tomorrow..
    > TIA

    Avira's AntiVir.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009
    Jane C, Oct 29, 2009
  5. El.Plates

    El.Plates Guest

    "Jane C" <> wrote in message
    > El.Plates wrote:
    >> Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7
    >> notebook arriving tomorrow..
    >> TIA

    > Avira's AntiVir.
    >
    > --
    > Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    > MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

    That's what I want but cannot find a 64bit free version on the Avira
    site....
    El.Plates, Oct 29, 2009
  6. El.Plates

    mikeyhsd Guest

    Microsoft Security Essentials.

    passes all others in security testing.

    mikeyhsd, Oct 29, 2009
  7. El.Plates

    El.Plates Guest

    "mikeyhsd" <> wrote in message news:...
    Microsoft Security Essentials.

    passes all others in security testing.

    "El.Plates" <> wrote in message news:...
    Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7 notebook
    arriving tomorrow..
    TIA

    Can you point me towards a test against Avira ?
    El.Plates, Oct 29, 2009
  8. El.Plates

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Avast (www.avast.com) has a free "home" version that has almost you will
    ever need.
    On the other hand I am now giving a shot to the free (and lightweight)
    Microsoft Security Essentials, which integrates antivirus+malware protection.
    So far so good.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 29, 2009
  9. I've been using MS's Security Essentials and am quite pleased with it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 29, 2009
  10. El.Plates

    El.Plates Guest

    > I've been using MS's Security Essentials and am quite pleased with it.

    Ok I'll give it a go !!
    El.Plates, Oct 29, 2009
  11. El.Plates

    Carlos Guest

    Here you go:
    http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 29, 2009
  12. El.Plates

    Jane C Guest

    El.Plates wrote:

    > That's what I want but cannot find a 64bit free version on the Avira
    > site....

    The same installer covers both 32 and 64 bit. I have it installed here
    on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 :)

    Jane C, Oct 29, 2009
  13. Yes, I like the light weight of MS SE. Frankly, I am tired of bloated AV
    apps that are slow, intrusive, and want to install themselves in all sorts
    of places I don't want them.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 29, 2009
  14. El.Plates

    mikeyhsd Guest

    do not remember for sure the name of the company that does the testing for the latest reports.

    secuna comes to mind.
    maybe someone else remembers the name of the testing organization.

    mikeyhsd, Oct 29, 2009
  15. Did MSSE come out of the old Giant antivirus acquisition?

    Cheers

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Martin Riddle, Oct 30, 2009
  16. El.Plates

    Paul Russell Guest

    No

    --
    thanks
    ..paul

    /*++

    Paul Russell

    --*/

    Paul Russell, Oct 30, 2009
  17. I don't have direct knowledge, but it doesn't "feel" like it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 30, 2009
  18. El.Plates

    Rob Guest

    Microsoft Security Essentials is both free and unobtrusive. My wife even
    tells me that it catches viruses before they are installed! 0.o .... For
    instance, it considers VNC Server to be malware and will tell you so when
    you're installing it. I am sure that it's not as uber and hardcore as a full
    suite, but it is made by the people who wrote the OS you're using, so it
    can't be too awful either.

    Can't beat free!

    http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

    - Rob