Free audio conferencing software for 12 or so people

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Tony Toews, Mar 4, 2006.

  1. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews Guest

    olks

    I just got shanghaied to be an executive board with members geographically dispersed
    throughout the province. Currently they are using a phone patch system but
    permission is a bit hazy and it only has 8 ports. A bit tricky with 12 members.
    Currently many of the members who are in the same city gather at someone's house and
    use a speaker phone there. But that doesn't always work. Today at least two people
    couldn't get in.

    MSN only allows four people to be in an audio conversation. Anyone know of any free
    software which allows up to 12 people or so?

    I think pretty much everyone would have high speed Internet.

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    read the entire thread of messages.
    Tony Toews, Mar 4, 2006

  2. Tony Toews

    Heimo Hetl Guest

    Tony Toews <> wrote:

    > MSN only allows four people to be in an audio conversation. Anyone know
    > of any free software which allows up to 12 people or so?

    Asterisk.

    cheers
    Heimo

    --
    You never ask questions when God's on your side.
    Heimo Hetl, Mar 4, 2006

  3. Asterisk would handle this, I believe. I haven't used the conferencing
    features just yet. I am sure a Google search would turn up loads of info!

    Also, you might look into Free World Dialup. It has conference
    functionality as well.

    Good luck,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Mar 4, 2006
  4. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews Guest

    "Jonathan Roberts" <> wrote:

    >I am sure a Google search would turn up loads of info!

    I didn't even bother to try as I'm sure there'd be so much crap showing up in any
    search it would be impossible.

    Sheesh, I'm an idiot. Search using gets me at least two free systems in the

    That'll teach me to make assumptions. <smile>

    Tony

    Tony Toews, Mar 4, 2006
  5. :)

    Let us know what ends up working for you. I am sure it will help others in
    the future.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Mar 5, 2006
  6. Tony Toews

    FTR Guest

    Tony Toews wrote:
    > olks
    >
    > I just got shanghaied to be an executive board with members geographically dispersed
    > throughout the province. Currently they are using a phone patch system but
    > permission is a bit hazy and it only has 8 ports. A bit tricky with 12 members.
    > Currently many of the members who are in the same city gather at someone's house and
    > use a speaker phone there. But that doesn't always work. Today at least two people
    > couldn't get in.
    >
    > MSN only allows four people to be in an audio conversation. Anyone know of any free
    > software which allows up to 12 people or so?
    >
    > I think pretty much everyone would have high speed Internet.
    >
    > Tony

    The latest Skype allows for 10 participants. This is not the 12 you look
    for but a good start. And, the voice quality is excellent if you have PC
    to PC calls, SkypeOut (PC to landline) is of mixed quality

    - Frank
    FTR, Mar 5, 2006
  7. Tony Toews

    Guest