free antivirus

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?

    If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 3, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    EMB Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
    >
    > If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.

    Not free, but CA Etrust EZ-Antivirus OEM bundled with whatever the crap
    offer is this week (currently K/B and mouse) for $15+GST at QMB. 12
    months of updates included, and it's working well enough on some PCs
    owned by a charity I look after.

    On the homepage at http://www.qmb.co.nz

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 3, 2006

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    bambam Guest

    bambam, Jan 3, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:58:00 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
    >
    >If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.

    I use Avast! It seems to work well and has caught a few viruses that
    have been missed by Paradise virus scanner (new ones that got through
    before their system updated I think). It is a very professional
    product. Seems to update very quickly and the only hassle is having to
    reregister it every 2 years to keep it updating.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Jan 3, 2006
  5. news.xtra.co.nz

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:58:00 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
    >
    > If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.

    I use clamav to clean up mails on delivery. This is a *nix av program, but
    the clamwin project ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin ) may well
    offer you what you want.

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 3, 2006
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    > wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
    >
    > If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.

    remove nortons

    reinstall it

    you will get another year

    Craig Sutton, Jan 3, 2006
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    S Roby Guest

    In article <dpdcue$e0b$>, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:

    >"news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
    >>
    >> If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.
    >>

    >remove nortons
    >
    >reinstall it
    >
    >you will get another year

    This doesnt allways works (on newer versions)

    S Roby, Jan 3, 2006
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    S Roby Guest

    >"news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?

    The free AV's dont have a 100% detection rating but are probhably good enough
    If you want the best virus detection you will have to PAY
    Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL

    antivir: doesnt scan emails?
    avast
    AVG
    bitdefender has a freeware version ()no email scanning??)

    I used Avast. It was excellent.

    Now using KAV's beta v6, get 2 months free use, then if theres a new KAV beta
    I'll load that & get 2 more months

    S Roby, Jan 3, 2006
  9. "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message

    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
    >>
    >> If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.
    >>

    > remove nortons
    >
    > reinstall it
    >
    > you will get another year

    He he I am still using the version I purchased in early 2003.

    I had big probs in 2004 reactivating after an OS reinstall - and after much
    hassles Norton reactivated my key - and , it has remained active until about
    now.

    Also, the 2003 versions license allowed installation on 2 pc's - but the new
    licenses forbid this.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 3, 2006
  10. "S Roby" <> wrote in message

    >>"news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?

    > The free AV's dont have a 100% detection rating but are probhably good
    > enough
    > If you want the best virus detection you will have to PAY
    > Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL
    >
    > antivir: doesnt scan emails?
    > avast
    > AVG
    > bitdefender has a freeware version ()no email scanning??)
    >

    > I used Avast. It was excellent.
    >

    > Now using KAV's beta v6, get 2 months free use, then if theres a new KAV
    > beta
    > I'll load that & get 2 more months

    thanks for this - IMHO keep your pc updates current, firewalled, and don't
    open dodgy email / illegal software I think you are largely ok. I was
    even thinking of dumping antivirus completely.

    In the last 3 years, I've had just one virus/worm thingy and norton did not
    even detect that - remember the one back in late 2003 where you were
    infected just by being connected to the net and it would crash the pc after
    a couple of minutes.

    Although, A/V is like insurance ,you kick yourself when you needed it but
    did not have.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 3, 2006
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:34:24 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
    >>
    >> If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.
    >>

    >remove nortons
    >
    >reinstall it
    >
    >you will get another year

    hello christion idiot, dont you send christs love under this nick???

    I've gone crazy......but I will be back soon

    Squirrel, Jan 3, 2006
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "S Roby" <> wrote in message

    >>"news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?

    > The free AV's dont have a 100% detection rating but are probhably good
    > enough
    > If you want the best virus detection you will have to PAY
    > Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL
    >
    > antivir: doesnt scan emails?
    > avast
    > AVG
    > bitdefender has a freeware version ()no email scanning??)
    >

    > I used Avast. It was excellent.
    >

    > Now using KAV's beta v6, get 2 months free use, then if theres a new KAV
    > beta
    > I'll load that & get 2 more months

    You're fooling yourself if you think anything is going to give you 100%
    protection.

    For 100% protectection you can get off the Net and stay off it. And forget
    about running any more CDs.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 4, 2006
  13. news.xtra.co.nz

    S Roby Guest

    In article <1136350563.513037@ftpsrv1>, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    >"S Roby" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>"news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

    >> The free AV's dont have a 100% detection rating but are probhably good
    >> enough
    >> If you want the best virus detection you will have to PAY
    >> Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL
    >>
    >> antivir: doesnt scan emails?
    >> avast
    >> AVG
    >> bitdefender has a freeware version ()no email scanning??)
    >>

    >> I used Avast. It was excellent.
    >>

    >> Now using KAV's beta v6, get 2 months free use, then if theres a new KAV
    >> beta
    >> I'll load that & get 2 more months

    >You're fooling yourself if you think anything is going to give you 100%
    >protection.
    >
    >For 100% protectection you can get off the Net and stay off it. And forget
    >about running any more CDs.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    "100% detection RATING " of known viruses when tested
    not 100% protection

    S Roby, Jan 4, 2006
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1136350563.513037@ftpsrv1>, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >>
    >>"S Roby" <> wrote in message

    >>> The free AV's dont have a 100% detection rating but are probhably good
    >>> enough
    >>> If you want the best virus detection you will have to PAY
    >>> Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL
    >>>
    >>> antivir: doesnt scan emails?
    >>> avast
    >>> AVG
    >>> bitdefender has a freeware version ()no email scanning??)
    >>>

    >>> I used Avast. It was excellent.
    >>>

    >>> Now using KAV's beta v6, get 2 months free use, then if theres a new KAV
    >>> beta
    >>> I'll load that & get 2 more months

    >>You're fooling yourself if you think anything is going to give you 100%
    >>protection.
    >>
    >>For 100% protectection you can get off the Net and stay off it. And
    >>forget
    >>about running any more CDs.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    > "100% detection RATING " of known viruses when tested
    > not 100% protection

    Covering 47,000 known viruses with more being added every day isn't bad
    going. To keep up with the updates one would never be off the net. Any
    software is going detect viruses that it knows about even if it only knows
    about 2 viruses it will have 100% detection of those 2 viruses. Hardly a
    great comfort though.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 4, 2006
  15. T'was the Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:16:34 GMT when I remembered
    le (S Roby) saying something like this:

    >Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL

    What ISPs don't scan email?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 5, 2006
  16. news.xtra.co.nz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    > T'was the Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:16:34 GMT when I remembered
    > le (S Roby) saying something like this:
    >
    >>Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL

    > What ISPs don't scan email?
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.

    Most viruses are also passed on by email. Be damn strange if any anti virus
    software couldn't check emails.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 5, 2006
  17. T'was the Fri, 6 Jan 2006 00:28:50 +1300 when I remembered "E.
    Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> saying something like this:

    >Most viruses are also passed on by email. Be damn strange if any anti virus
    >software couldn't check emails.

    To be honest, I was never terribly keen on doing email virus scanning.
    Perhaps bad experiences with Nortons.Then again, I've completed
    migrated my own personal email to Gmail so that generally takes care
    of viruses and spam.

    I'm up to an average of 2400 spam a month now. When it gets to 10000
    I'll throw a party.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 5, 2006
  18. news.xtra.co.nz

    EMB Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > Most viruses are also passed on by email. Be damn strange if any anti virus
    > software couldn't check emails.

    Why's that? Just because an AV program doesn't run a POP proxy to scan
    email as it arrives won't stop it from intercepting the virus when the
    problem file is saved/executed.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 5, 2006
  19. news.xtra.co.nz

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <dpjqv5$ddb$>, says...
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    > > Most viruses are also passed on by email. Be damn strange if any anti virus
    > > software couldn't check emails.

    > Why's that? Just because an AV program doesn't run a POP proxy to scan
    > email as it arrives won't stop it from intercepting the virus when the
    > problem file is saved/executed.

    Please don't present the village idiot with facts - you'll confuse him
    some more.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 6, 2006