    occasionally be on the internet but not often. I am going to be running
    Windows XP and Linux (either Mandrake 10.1, Fedora Core 3 or Suse 9.2). Any
    one have any thoughts on this?

    Gator, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Gator

    donnie Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:10:16 -0500, "Gator" <> wrote:

    >I am looking for a good free anti-virus program. I have a laptop that is
    >going to be used mainly for learning how to program in C and C++. It will
    >occasionally be on the internet but not often. I am going to be running
    >Windows XP and Linux (either Mandrake 10.1, Fedora Core 3 or Suse 9.2). Any
    >one have any thoughts on this?

    ##################
    I''ve been told that grisoft fits that description.
    donnie

    donnie, Nov 30, 2004

  3. AVAST - http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1016.html - FREE
    AVG - http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE
    CA eTrust - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
    { Free offer ends 2/1/05 }

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Gator

    Robsten Guest

    Gator skrev:
    > I am looking for a good free anti-virus program. I have a laptop that is
    > going to be used mainly for learning how to program in C and C++. It will
    > occasionally be on the internet but not often. I am going to be running
    > Windows XP and Linux (either Mandrake 10.1, Fedora Core 3 or Suse 9.2). Any
    > one have any thoughts on this?

    The best according to all tests, Antivir.

    http://www.free-av.com/

    http://www.avup.de/personal/en/avwinsfx.exe

    Robsten, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Gator

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    "Robsten" <> wrote in message
    > Gator skrev:
    >> I am looking for a good free anti-virus program. I have a laptop that
    >> is
    >> going to be used mainly for learning how to program in C and C++. It
    >> will
    >> occasionally be on the internet but not often. I am going to be
    >> running
    >> Windows XP and Linux (either Mandrake 10.1, Fedora Core 3 or Suse
    >> 9.2). Any
    >> one have any thoughts on this?

    > The best according to all tests, Antivir.

    By WHAT tests?
    http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?antivir.xml
    shows:

    AntiVir: 3 passes, 8 fails = 73% failure
    EzAntiVirus: 18 passes, 11 fails = 40% failure
    AVG: 6 passes, 20 fails = 77% failure
    Avast: 10 passes, 19 fails = 66% failure

    So of the freebie AV products mentioned so far, EzAntiVirus passed the
    most (i.e., failed the least) and AVG and AntiVir failed the most.
    However, testing covers several platforms of which Windows is only some
    of them, plus you will need to review how many failures were recent
    (products usually get better as they mature). The EzAntiVirus freebie
    download may only be for Windows, especially since it is under a
    "Microsoft" partner page, so that choice might not be appropriate for
    the OP if he wants to use the same AV product on all his platforms,
    which includes Linux. But then I also did not see Linux-compatible
    downloads for the *FREE* versions of AVG, Avast, or AntiVir.

    _Vanguard_, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Gator

    Robsten Guest

    _Vanguard_ skrev:
    > "Robsten" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gator skrev:
    >>
    >>>I am looking for a good free anti-virus program. I have a laptop that
    >>>is
    >>>going to be used mainly for learning how to program in C and C++. It
    >>>will
    >>>occasionally be on the internet but not often. I am going to be
    >>>running
    >>>Windows XP and Linux (either Mandrake 10.1, Fedora Core 3 or Suse
    >>>9.2). Any
    >>>one have any thoughts on this?

    >>The best according to all tests, Antivir.

    > By WHAT tests?
    > http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?antivir.xml
    > shows:
    >
    > AntiVir: 3 passes, 8 fails = 73% failure
    > EzAntiVirus: 18 passes, 11 fails = 40% failure
    > AVG: 6 passes, 20 fails = 77% failure
    > Avast: 10 passes, 19 fails = 66% failure
    >
    > So of the freebie AV products mentioned so far, EzAntiVirus passed the
    > most (i.e., failed the least) and AVG and AntiVir failed the most.
    > However, testing covers several platforms of which Windows is only some
    > of them, plus you will need to review how many failures were recent
    > (products usually get better as they mature). The EzAntiVirus freebie
    > download may only be for Windows, especially since it is under a
    > "Microsoft" partner page, so that choice might not be appropriate for
    > the OP if he wants to use the same AV product on all his platforms,
    > which includes Linux. But then I also did not see Linux-compatible
    > downloads for the *FREE* versions of AVG, Avast, or AntiVir.

    Hmmm...I think I compare freeware from this test
    http://www.av-test.org/online/sites/os03.php3?js=1&test=2002-01&p=1

    IAlso I have Antivir myself in three yers, taken every virus so far, I
    have done onlinescanning from F-secur and AcAffe, its clean after
    Antivir so far. Also Antivir takes very little resuorses, I uninstall
    F-secure, I had pay for it but it takes to mutch of the computers resourses.

    Robsten, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Gator

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    "Robsten" <> wrote in message
    > Hmmm...I think I compare freeware from this test
    > http://www.av-test.org/online/sites/os03.php3?js=1&test=2002-01&p=1

    <snip>

    2002? Aren't you using a rather OLD benchmark? From their list of
    benchmarks, they seem to have stopped testing back in 2002.

    There is a newer *coverage* benchmark (rather than just whether a
    product passed/failed) at
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2004_02.php but it is
    dated back in February 1994. From there, you can see the overall
    percentage of coverage or just look at a particular category.

    AntiVir: Windows viruses = 76%, Overall = 89%
    Avast: Windows viruses = 93%, Overall = 93%
    AVG: not listed (although v.6 was around at the time)
    EzAntiVirus: also not listed

    So not all the AV products are listed. However, AntiVir didn't fare
    well against the other products. None of the tests show coverage based
    on the age of the virus (so you can see if they protect well against
    today's viruses rather than some ancient crap). I realize you don't
    like your favorite AV product bashed. I'm currently using but will let
    the subscription eventually expire for Norton AntiVirus (Windows viruses
    = 98.9%, Overall = 95%) although Kasperksy is better (Windows viruses =
    99.9%, Overall = 99.9%). Alas, of the freebie AV products, they don't
    fare well when tested (and it is doubtful their commercial version
    detects any better although I have read some posts that show the counts
    for the numbers of detected viruses and/or malware do differ between the
    freebie and paid-for versions). I don't bash Symantec, either, but when
    the subscription runs out then I'll probably switch based on whatever
    tests best at that time. The EzAntiVirus isn't really a freebie version
    but rather a 1-year free trial in partnership with Microsoft (probably
    to promote their re-branded InoculateIT anti-virus product).

    _Vanguard_, Nov 30, 2004
  8. Gator

    Robsten Guest

    _Vanguard_ skrev:
    > "Robsten" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hmmm...I think I compare freeware from this test
    >>http://www.av-test.org/online/sites/os03.php3?js=1&test=2002-01&p=1

    > <snip>
    >
    > 2002? Aren't you using a rather OLD benchmark? From their list of
    > benchmarks, they seem to have stopped testing back in 2002.

    Yes, thats right, to old maybee.

    > There is a newer *coverage* benchmark (rather than just whether a
    > product passed/failed) at
    > http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2004_02.php but it is
    > dated back in February 1994. From there, you can see the overall
    > percentage of coverage or just look at a particular category.
    >
    > AntiVir: Windows viruses = 76%, Overall = 89%
    > Avast: Windows viruses = 93%, Overall = 93%
    > AVG: not listed (although v.6 was around at the time)
    > EzAntiVirus: also not listed
    >
    > So not all the AV products are listed. However, AntiVir didn't fare
    > well against the other products. None of the tests show coverage based
    > on the age of the virus (so you can see if they protect well against
    > today's viruses rather than some ancient crap). I realize you don't
    > like your favorite AV product bashed. I'm currently using but will let
    > the subscription eventually expire for Norton AntiVirus (Windows viruses
    > = 98.9%, Overall = 95%) although Kasperksy is better (Windows viruses =
    > 99.9%, Overall = 99.9%). Alas, of the freebie AV products, they don't
    > fare well when tested (and it is doubtful their commercial version
    > detects any better although I have read some posts that show the counts
    > for the numbers of detected viruses and/or malware do differ between the
    > freebie and paid-for versions). I don't bash Symantec, either, but when
    > the subscription runs out then I'll probably switch based on whatever
    > tests best at that time. The EzAntiVirus isn't really a freebie version
    > but rather a 1-year free trial in partnership with Microsoft (probably
    > to promote their re-branded InoculateIT anti-virus product).

    I don.t think its a year trial in sweden. It,s not a big soft in Sweden.
    Kaspersky is rather unknown in my country althou its the best in most
    tests, not good.

    Robsten, Nov 30, 2004