Free Anti Virus or Reasonably Priced Family Pack

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by M, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. M

    M Guest

    My free copies of eTrust EZ Antivirus are now all expiring and I am can't
    afford the upgrade to a full license as we have a number of PC, some dual
    boots and the cost for all of them is too much.
    I have just installed avast! Antivirus and I haven't taken to it as it looks
    too unprofessional. I don't want to use AVG because I have had reports or
    it not being very effective. I would like to find either a free or family
    pack Anti Virus programme and I would like some recommendations.
     
    M, Jun 7, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. M

    aleX Guest

    M wrote:
    >I don't want to use AVG because I have had reports or
    > it not being very effective.


    That's the one I use and recommend for others, but if there's a better
    free one please let me know too.
     
    aleX, Jun 7, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. M

    philo Guest

    aleX wrote:
    > M wrote:
    >
    >> I don't want to use AVG because I have had reports or it not being
    >> very effective.

    >
    >
    > That's the one I use and recommend for others, but if there's a better
    > free one please let me know too.




    I've found AVG to be better than many of the "big name" virus checkers...
    but some folks seem to like Avast
     
    philo, Jun 7, 2005
    #3
  4. M

    Jason Woods Guest

    philo wrote:
    > aleX wrote:
    >
    >> M wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't want to use AVG because I have had reports or it not being
    >>> very effective.


    Just out of curiousity, could you post a link or tell me where these reports
    can be found?
     
    Jason Woods, Jun 7, 2005
    #4
  5. M

    M Guest

    The report actually came from some IT guys at work who claimed to have been
    called out to deal with several PCs running AVG antivirus which when they
    installed Norton's were found to contain numerous viruses that AVG had
    failed to detect. This may not sound that credible but these were people I
    had come to respect and regard as reliable and have no motive that I can see
    to spread misinformation.
    "Jason Woods" <> wrote in message
    news:91ope.69$...
    > philo wrote:
    >> aleX wrote:
    >>
    >>> M wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I don't want to use AVG because I have had reports or it not being very
    >>>> effective.

    >
    > Just out of curiousity, could you post a link or tell me where these
    > reports
    > can be found?
     
    M, Jun 7, 2005
    #5
  6. M

    Jason Woods Guest

    M wrote:
    > The report actually came from some IT guys at work who claimed to have been
    > called out to deal with several PCs running AVG antivirus which when they
    > installed Norton's were found to contain numerous viruses that AVG had
    > failed to detect. This may not sound that credible but these were people I
    > had come to respect and regard as reliable and have no motive that I can see
    > to spread misinformation.
    > "Jason Woods" <> wrote in message
    > news:91ope.69$...
    >
    >>philo wrote:
    >>
    >>>aleX wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>M wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>I don't want to use AVG because I have had reports or it not being very
    >>>>>effective.

    >>
    >>Just out of curiousity, could you post a link or tell me where these
    >>reports
    >>can be found?

    >
    >
    >

    I appreciate it - did these techs mention if the software was the AVG
    Free version?
     
    Jason Woods, Jun 7, 2005
    #6
  7. M

    Plato Guest

    philo wrote:
    >
    > I've found AVG to be better than many of the "big name" virus checkers...
    > but some folks seem to like Avast


    AVG or Avast. No matter. The first line of defence is always the user
    who has the option of NOT downloading viruses in the first place.








    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
     
    Plato, Jun 7, 2005
    #7
  8. M

    Shep© Guest

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:36:53 +0100 He understood Liz1 so well "M"
    <> wrote :

    >My free copies of eTrust EZ Antivirus are now all expiring and I am can't
    >afford the upgrade to a full license as we have a number of PC, some dual
    >boots and the cost for all of them is too much.
    >I have just installed avast! Antivirus and I haven't taken to it as it looks
    >too unprofessional. I don't want to use AVG because I have had reports or
    >it not being very effective. I would like to find either a free or family
    >pack Anti Virus programme and I would like some recommendations.
    >


    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/secure.html



    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
     
    Shep©, Jun 7, 2005
    #8
  9. M

    Sultan Guest

    "M" <> wrote in
    news::

    > My free copies of eTrust EZ Antivirus are now all expiring and I am
    > can't afford the upgrade to a full license as we have a number of PC,
    > some dual boots and the cost for all of them is too much.
    > I have just installed avast! Antivirus and I haven't taken to it as it
    > looks too unprofessional. I don't want to use AVG because I have had
    > reports or it not being very effective. I would like to find either a
    > free or family pack Anti Virus programme and I would like some
    > recommendations.
    >
    >


    Whomever told you that AVG was ineffective was just trying to sell you
    something else right? Download and install AVG and sleep well knowing your
    pc is protected - provided your smart enough to keep it updated.

    --

    Sultan
     
    Sultan, Jun 8, 2005
    #9
  10. M

    Sultan Guest

    "M" <> wrote in
    news::

    > The report actually came from some IT guys at work who claimed to have
    > been called out to deal with several PCs running AVG antivirus which
    > when they installed Norton's were found to contain numerous viruses
    > that AVG had failed to detect. This may not sound that credible but
    > these were people I had come to respect and regard as reliable and
    > have no motive that I can see to spread misinformation.
    > "Jason Woods" <> wrote in message
    > news:91ope.69$...
    >> philo wrote:
    >>> aleX wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> M wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I don't want to use AVG because I have had reports or it not being
    >>>>> very effective.

    >>
    >> Just out of curiousity, could you post a link or tell me where these
    >> reports
    >> can be found?

    >
    >


    Did these 'ahem" respected bellowers of misinformation tell you whether
    or not these users of AVG actually had kept their systems updated? I'll
    bet you dollars to donuts that these AVG users never upgraded from
    version 6 to 7 thus their definitions were out of date. Furthermore they
    were practicing unsafe computing by using some Kazaa like program to try
    and get freebie music but got a virus instead.

    I run Symantec A/V at work - but would never ever recommend Norton A/V
    for home use - too much cost and too resource intensive. If I had to pay
    for home A/V protection I would go with either TrendMicro or Nod32.

    For the record I can site many instances where I've been called out and
    AVG has found things that Norton and McAffee have missed - why? Because
    they came with 6 month free trials and the users never paid for
    upgrades/updates beyond thus were without virus protection for 1 to 3
    years (I'm not kidding) and that was fine until the kids started playing
    on their pc's. Any and all Antivirus programs are only as good as the
    last set of definitions.


    --

    Sultan
     
    Sultan, Jun 8, 2005
    #10
  11. M

    PC Guest

    <snip>
    >but would never ever recommend Norton A/V
    > for home use - too much cost and too resource intensive.

    </snip>

    Hear hear.
     
    PC, Jun 8, 2005
    #11
  12. M

    aleX Guest

    Sultan wrote:

    > Did these 'ahem" respected bellowers of misinformation tell you whether
    > or not these users of AVG actually had kept their systems updated? I'll
    > bet you dollars to donuts that these AVG users never upgraded from
    > version 6 to 7 thus their definitions were out of date. Furthermore they
    > were practicing unsafe computing by using some Kazaa like program to try
    > and get freebie music but got a virus instead.
    >
    > I run Symantec A/V at work - but would never ever recommend Norton A/V
    > for home use - too much cost and too resource intensive. If I had to pay
    > for home A/V protection I would go with either TrendMicro or Nod32.
    >
    > For the record I can site many instances where I've been called out and
    > AVG has found things that Norton and McAffee have missed - why? Because
    > they came with 6 month free trials and the users never paid for
    > upgrades/updates beyond thus were without virus protection for 1 to 3
    > years (I'm not kidding) and that was fine until the kids started playing
    > on their pc's. Any and all Antivirus programs are only as good as the
    > last set of definitions.


    Thanks to you and a few others for putting my mind at rest about AVG. It
    seems a very good program, with updates practically on a daily basis.

    I have seen a few NAV home-PC installs, but they are almost always
    months or years out of date as you say, and I replace them with free AVG
    if the user's NAV licence has run out - hopefully AVG will get some
    paying customers from these people :) Of course, some of these people
    will not update no matter what they use or how often they are reminded!

    I did try NAV myself once, a couple of years back, but I was amazed at
    the number of reg entries it created - just an enormous installation,
    does it really need to 'take over the whole machine'? I like programs
    that almost stand alone, like Thunderbird (email) and Powergrab (binary
    newsgroup downloader). Is NAV still seen as 'the best' because they have
    the resources to find solutions to viruses quicker than other companies,
    or is NAV better suited to large networks (similarly Sophos) than AVG?
    Just wondered, thanks.
     
    aleX, Jun 8, 2005
    #12
  13. M

    Mikester71 Guest

    "M" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I would like to find either a free or family pack Anti Virus programme
    > and I would like some recommendations.
    >
    >

    Leo Laporte, formerly of "The Screensavers" on TechTV in the U.S and
    now of "Call For Help" on G4TechTV up here in Canada, recommends either
    AVG free edition or this other free one called AntiVir Personal Edition
    which can be found here: http://www.free-av.com/
    He says you can't go wrong with either. I have been using AVG free
    edition for the last couple of years now with great success and very
    few problems.

    Mike
     
    Mikester71, Jun 8, 2005
    #13
  14. M

    M Guest

    They didn't mention if these people had kept their system up-to-date. In my
    experience most people never update anything! I would second your comment
    about Nortons!
    "Sultan" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns966ECE2194142sultanofcyberhotmail@204.153.244.170...
    > "M" <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >> The report actually came from some IT guys at work who claimed to have
    >> been called out to deal with several PCs running AVG antivirus which
    >> when they installed Norton's were found to contain numerous viruses
    >> that AVG had failed to detect. This may not sound that credible but
    >> these were people I had come to respect and regard as reliable and
    >> have no motive that I can see to spread misinformation.
    >> "Jason Woods" <> wrote in message
    >> news:91ope.69$...
    >>> philo wrote:
    >>>> aleX wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> M wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I don't want to use AVG because I have had reports or it not being
    >>>>>> very effective.
    >>>
    >>> Just out of curiousity, could you post a link or tell me where these
    >>> reports
    >>> can be found?

    >>
    >>

    >
    > Did these 'ahem" respected bellowers of misinformation tell you whether
    > or not these users of AVG actually had kept their systems updated? I'll
    > bet you dollars to donuts that these AVG users never upgraded from
    > version 6 to 7 thus their definitions were out of date. Furthermore they
    > were practicing unsafe computing by using some Kazaa like program to try
    > and get freebie music but got a virus instead.
    >
    > I run Symantec A/V at work - but would never ever recommend Norton A/V
    > for home use - too much cost and too resource intensive. If I had to pay
    > for home A/V protection I would go with either TrendMicro or Nod32.
    >
    > For the record I can site many instances where I've been called out and
    > AVG has found things that Norton and McAffee have missed - why? Because
    > they came with 6 month free trials and the users never paid for
    > upgrades/updates beyond thus were without virus protection for 1 to 3
    > years (I'm not kidding) and that was fine until the kids started playing
    > on their pc's. Any and all Antivirus programs are only as good as the
    > last set of definitions.
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > Sultan
     
    M, Jun 8, 2005
    #14
  15. M

    Mikester71 Guest

    By the way; the AntiVir site only opens with Internet Explorer, not
    with Firefox.

    Mike
     
    Mikester71, Jun 8, 2005
    #15
  16. M

    BasketCase Guest

    Mikester71 wrote:
    > By the way; the AntiVir site only opens with Internet Explorer, not
    > with Firefox.


    I use antivir...and also firefox. I downloaded antivir from another
    source and have had no probs with updates.

    Pardon me if this question is foolish...but...as antivirs site does not
    support firefox browser...would avg be better suited to run with firefox
    ?...am I just being paranoid ? :)
     
    BasketCase, Jun 8, 2005
    #16
  17. M

    Sultan Guest

    aleX <> wrote in
    news:d85rn9$5ti$:


    >
    > Thanks to you and a few others for putting my mind at rest about AVG.
    > It seems a very good program, with updates practically on a daily
    > basis.

    You are welcome :)
    <snip>

    > Is NAV still seen as 'the best' because
    > they have the resources to find solutions to viruses quicker than
    > other companies, or is NAV better suited to large networks (similarly
    > Sophos) than AVG? Just wondered, thanks.


    Well Symantec has a long history and solid reputation and it is hard to say
    otherwise - the only knock I have against the product is the resource
    drain. In my companies case we stick with Symantec because of the bundle
    they offer in the Enterprise edition - Symantec Mail Security, Symantec A/V
    and Symantec Web Security - sure there are better and faster individual
    pieces we could buy separately but then that is more licenses and software
    incompatabilities to worry about - this way everything is covered under one
    license and all three pieces work together without fighting.



    --

    Sultan
     
    Sultan, Jun 9, 2005
    #17
  18. M

    Sultan Guest

    BasketCase <> wrote in news:d8696r$npm$1
    @news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > Mikester71 wrote:
    >> By the way; the AntiVir site only opens with Internet Explorer, not
    >> with Firefox.

    >
    > I use antivir...and also firefox. I downloaded antivir from another
    > source and have had no probs with updates.
    >
    > Pardon me if this question is foolish...but...as antivirs site does not
    > support firefox browser...would avg be better suited to run with firefox
    > ?...am I just being paranoid ? :)
    >


    I hate web masters who try and take sides and force their opinion of what
    is the best browser by restricting which one can be used to view their
    site - pure snobbery and shows immaturity. Just because you have the power
    to do this doesn't mean you should. Besides both sides will never agree and
    pick each other apart in the meantime. I like Maxthon myself which uses the
    IE engine but I also like Firefox. I rarely use just plain ol IE anymore.
    In any case your choice of Antivirus shouldn't be determined by your
    browser.

    --

    Sultan
     
    Sultan, Jun 9, 2005
    #18
  19. M

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Sultan" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns966FBE0E6B210sultanofcyberhotmail@204.153.244.170...
    > aleX <> wrote in
    > news:d85rn9$5ti$:
    >
    >
    >>
    >> Thanks to you and a few others for putting my mind at rest about AVG.
    >> It seems a very good program, with updates practically on a daily
    >> basis.

    > You are welcome :)
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Is NAV still seen as 'the best' because
    >> they have the resources to find solutions to viruses quicker than
    >> other companies, or is NAV better suited to large networks (similarly
    >> Sophos) than AVG? Just wondered, thanks.

    >
    > Well Symantec has a long history and solid reputation and it is hard to
    > say
    > otherwise - the only knock I have against the product is the resource
    > drain. In my companies case we stick with Symantec because of the bundle
    > they offer in the Enterprise edition - Symantec Mail Security, Symantec
    > A/V
    > and Symantec Web Security - sure there are better and faster individual
    > pieces we could buy separately but then that is more licenses and software
    > incompatabilities to worry about - this way everything is covered under
    > one
    > license and all three pieces work together without fighting.
    >


    i recently upgraded our corporate symantec firewall/server.
    but i still use trendmicro online scans to find the oddball viruses that
    pass through symantec.

    -a|ex
     
    127.0.0.1, Jun 9, 2005
    #19
  20. M

    Guest

    On Sultan <> wrote:

    |>BasketCase <> wrote in news:d8696r$npm$1
    |>@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:
    |>
    |>> Mikester71 wrote:
    |>>> By the way; the AntiVir site only opens with Internet Explorer, not
    |>>> with Firefox.
    |>>
    |>> I use antivir...and also firefox. I downloaded antivir from another
    |>> source and have had no probs with updates.
    |>>
    |>> Pardon me if this question is foolish...but...as antivirs site does not
    |>> support firefox browser...would avg be better suited to run with firefox
    |>> ?...am I just being paranoid ? :)


    |>I hate web masters who try and take sides and force their opinion of what
    |>is the best browser by restricting which one can be used to view their
    |>site - pure snobbery and shows immaturity. Just because you have the power
    |>to do this doesn't mean you should. Besides both sides will never agree and
    |>pick each other apart in the meantime. I like Maxthon myself which uses the
    |>IE engine but I also like Firefox. I rarely use just plain ol IE anymore.
    |>In any case your choice of Antivirus shouldn't be determined by your
    |>browser.

    You need to check out:
    Hacking the Web with Greasemonkey
    http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/16/0052245&from=rss


    --
    http://www.bulletinboardforum.com/grape/microwave_grape_lightning.php
     
    , Jun 9, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. jojo
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    564
  2. MichiganMan

    Best reasonably priced flash for the 300D?

    MichiganMan, Jan 29, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    291
    MichiganMan
    Jan 31, 2005
  3. B.M. Wright

    Reasonably priced SD card compactflash adapter?

    B.M. Wright, Oct 2, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    268
    B.M. Wright
    Oct 2, 2005
  4. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    390
    RBrickston
    Aug 28, 2007
  5. Mike

    Sharpest "Reasonably priced" Canon lens

    Mike, Nov 21, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    56
    Views:
    1,423
    Mr. Strat
    Nov 25, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page