Free Agent/Teranews problem questions

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by nopEda, Dec 7, 2009.

  1. nopEda

    nopEda Guest

    Yeah, I know it's asking for trouble using programs like that, but
    then again they work fine until they **** up. For example they have
    been working fine together for 6-8 months or more up until this
    afternoon. Then I noticed that Free Agent started taking more time re-
    connecting to teranews between posts I was reading. Then all of a
    sudden it stopped retrieving them entirely and started giving the
    error message:

    Server news.teranews.com rejected your username and password
    (Authentication Failed).

    Since I hadn't looked at any of those properties much less made any
    changes in several months I tried shutting things down and trying
    again, which eventually led to shutting down the computer and trying
    again. When it still kept giving the same message I went to Options--
    Online Operation--Dial-up Connection, and found that my Password which
    is less than 10 digits long, was somehow all of a sudden 16 digits
    long. So I changed it back, hit Apply, then OK, then tried retrieving
    a message again. I got the same error message. So I went back and
    checked the properties to see if something else was wrong, and very
    strangely (to me!) the password had apparently changed itself back to
    the 16 digit one--whatever that is--again! Pissing around with it I
    found that I can change my User Name and Connection and they will
    remain as I changed them, but the password keeps resetting itself (or
    whatever tf is going on) to the 16 digit one. So I decided to try New
    connnection... and went through all the motions entering the old less
    than 10 digit password. The something STILL changed the new connection
    back to the 16 digit one that appears to have taken over...or
    whatever. Is there a Free Agent password virus or something? WTF is
    going on, does anyone know?

    Thanks for any help!
    David
    nopEda, Dec 7, 2009

  2. I'd be looking to the server as the cause of your problem.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 7, 2009

  3. nopEda

    nopEda Guest

    On Dec 7, 9:58 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > I'd be looking to the server as the cause of your problem.

    Could they somehow keep changing the password in my Free Agent program
    from one of less than 10 digits to one of 16? Can they do that even
    when I'm offline, or is that the test? If I change it and the change
    remains when I'm offline, but changes back to the 16 digit one when I
    get online, will that be an indication that the server is doing it
    somehow? If so, why would they be doing it???
    nopEda, Dec 7, 2009
  4. "nopEda" <> wrote in message
    On Dec 7, 9:58 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > I'd be looking to the server as the cause of your problem.

    Could they somehow keep changing the password in my Free Agent program
    from one of less than 10 digits to one of 16? Can they do that even
    when I'm offline, or is that the test? If I change it and the change
    remains when I'm offline, but changes back to the 16 digit one when I
    get online, will that be an indication that the server is doing it
    somehow? If so, why would they be doing it???

    <JS>
    No, they do not change the password. They have no reason to set the password
    to one that you don't know.

    The number of dots displayed where the password goes is not an indicator of
    the length of the password. Your reader puts in the dots to show that the
    password is being filled through AutoFill -- a saved entry -- but if the
    password isn't correct and the person trying to open your reader isn't you,
    then the number of dots is not supposed to provide a clue.

    THEY are not changing your password. You can take that to the bank.

    I think the problem is that the servers are down. Send them an e-mail.

    </JS>
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 7, 2009
  5. nopEda

    nopEda Guest

    On Dec 7, 10:54 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:

    > the number of dots is not supposed to provide a clue.
    >
    > THEY are not changing your password. You can take that to the bank.
    >
    > I think the problem is that the servers are down. Send them an e-mail.

    I believe you were right because it seems to be working okay again
    now. Thank you for your explanations!
    nopEda, Dec 8, 2009
  6. "nopEda" <> wrote in message
    On Dec 7, 10:54 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:

    > the number of dots is not supposed to provide a clue.
    >
    > THEY are not changing your password. You can take that to the bank.
    >
    > I think the problem is that the servers are down. Send them an e-mail.

    I believe you were right because it seems to be working okay again
    now. Thank you for your explanations!

    <JS>
    You're welcome.
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 8, 2009