    body and retrive group headers but not the bodies in group. What is
    going on?

    , Oct 14, 2008

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:55:52 -0700, wrote:

    >Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    >come back with x. Sometimes I get a error message something about not
    >having server privilage or something.

    How about the EXACT wording of the error?

    That usually helps in troubleshooting.

    Evan Platt, Oct 14, 2008

  3. wrote:

    > Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    > come back with x.

    x?

    > Sometimes I get a error message something about not having server
    > privilage or something.

    What is the exact error message, in full?

    > I can singly retrieve a message body and retrive group headers but not
    > the bodies in group. What is going on?

    Who is your news provider?

    Are you associated with a Canadian municipality?

    whois james.ca
    Domain name: james.ca
    Domain status: UNAV
    Error code: 02001
    Error message: The domain name provided is reserved for
    the use of a Canadian municipality. Contact CIRA for more
    information.

    If that's supposed to be a munge of your email address, never use a word
    that can be a real domain. Use "example.invalid" instead.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 14, 2008
  4. James wrote:

    > Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    > come back with x. Sometimes I get a error message something about not
    > having server privilage or something. I can singly retrieve a message
    > body and retrive group headers but not the bodies in group. What is
    > going on?

    What happens when you test using another server?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 14, 2008
  5. richard Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:13:35 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    >> come back with x.

    >x?
    >
    >> Sometimes I get a error message something about not having server
    >> privilage or something.

    >What is the exact error message, in full?
    >
    >> I can singly retrieve a message body and retrive group headers but not
    >> the bodies in group. What is going on?

    >Who is your news provider?
    >
    >Are you associated with a Canadian municipality?
    >
    >whois james.ca
    > Domain name: james.ca
    > Domain status: UNAV
    > Error code: 02001
    > Error message: The domain name provided is reserved for
    > the use of a Canadian municipality. Contact CIRA for more
    > information.
    >
    >If that's supposed to be a munge of your email address, never use a word
    >that can be a real domain. Use "example.invalid" instead.

    Why is it you always assume that a person who uses a government addy
    isn't entitled to? Gee like maybe there is no one named james in james
    canada? Or that can have that addy? Quit the damn griping about the
    use of addy's unless you can show proof that the person isn't entitled
    to it.

    What about my addy? It ain't mine. It's valid.
    So you go right ahead and complain about it.

    richard, Oct 14, 2008
  6. Guest

    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    >> come back with x.

    >x?
    >
    >> Sometimes I get a error message something about not having server
    >> privilage or something.

    >What is the exact error message, in full?

    Sorry! An online error occurred
    When: Retrieving bodies for "~~ ~ "
    Reason: connection closed unexpectedly by server

    >> I can singly retrieve a message body and retrive group headers but not
    >> the bodies in group. What is going on?

    >Who is your news provider?

    shawnews.gv.shawcable.net

    >Are you associated with a Canadian municipality?
    >
    >whois james.ca
    > Domain name: james.ca
    > Domain status: UNAV
    > Error code: 02001
    > Error message: The domain name provided is reserved for
    > the use of a Canadian municipality. Contact CIRA for more
    > information.
    >
    >If that's supposed to be a munge of your email address, never use a word
    >that can be a real domain. Use "example.invalid" instead.

    Does the sever not like my name?

    , Oct 14, 2008
  7. Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:30:56 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >James wrote:
    >
    >> Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    >> come back with x. Sometimes I get a error message something about not
    >> having server privilage or something. I can singly retrieve a message
    >> body and retrive group headers but not the bodies in group. What is
    >> going on?

    >What happens when you test using another server?

    This is the question that I have never asked how do I change a server?

    , Oct 14, 2008
  8. richard Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:55:52 -0700, wrote:

    >Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    >come back with x. Sometimes I get a error message something about not
    >having server privilage or something. I can singly retrieve a message
    >body and retrive group headers but not the bodies in group. What is
    >going on?

    Every now and then I get the same thing.
    I think it's a server problem more than anything.
    You can wait and try again later, or try purging the group and start
    over.

    richard, Oct 14, 2008
  9. richard wrote:

    > What about my addy? It ain't mine. It's valid.

    So it's stolen and you are simply a thief.

    > So you go right ahead and complain about it.

    You are directing spam to a domain that is not yours.
    Your ISP might consider this as a violation of usage terms.
    How long shall we wait until filing complaints at your ISP?

    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 14, 2008
  10. wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:13:35 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    >>> come back with x.

    >>x?
    >>
    >>> Sometimes I get a error message something about not having server
    >>> privilage or something.

    >>What is the exact error message, in full?

    > Sorry! An online error occurred
    > When: Retrieving bodies for "~~ ~ "
    > Reason: connection closed unexpectedly by server

    A common error is keeping too many connections open or "half-open" to the
    server. When I long ago used Free Agent, I remember there was some setting
    to limit the amount of concurrent connections to a newsserver.
    However, you may have to stop querying the server for possibly 2 hours
    before it releases half-open connections and let you in again.
    >>If that's supposed to be a munge of your email address, never use a word
    >>that can be a real domain. Use "example.invalid" instead.

    > Does the sever not like my name?

    That should not matter in this case, but nevertheless do as suggested. You
    may as well get a disposeable e-mail or a limited one like on
    www.spamgourmet.com which allows only a limited amount of replies to one
    address.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 14, 2008
  11. James wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:30:56 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>James wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    >>> come back with x. Sometimes I get a error message something about not
    >>> having server privilage or something. I can singly retrieve a message
    >>> body and retrive group headers but not the bodies in group. What is
    >>> going on?

    >>What happens when you test using another server?

    > This is the question that I have never asked how do I change a server?

    Someone with a very old copy of Agent help this guy out, willya?
    (He's still using 1.93.) Thanks. I wouldn't touch it with WieRdScoTTy's
    ten foot pole, having evaluated it a couple of times.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 14, 2008
  12. Guest

    This is Nuts, I can recieve the headers for you replies but now I can
    not even singularly down load the bodies. Guess I can't even get your
    replies now.

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:55:52 -0700, wrote:

    >Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    >come back with x. Sometimes I get a error message something about not
    >having server privilage or something. I can singly retrieve a message
    >body and retrive group headers but not the bodies in group. What is
    >going on?

    , Oct 14, 2008
  13. richard Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:04:18 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:

    >> What about my addy? It ain't mine. It's valid.

    >So it's stolen and you are simply a thief.
    >
    >> So you go right ahead and complain about it.

    >You are directing spam to a domain that is not yours.
    >Your ISP might consider this as a violation of usage terms.
    >How long shall we wait until filing complaints at your ISP?

    Absolutely correct butthead. As newsguy is my service, and the fact
    that I have already asked permission to use this addy, they don't
    care.
    So go ahead. Send an email to it and see what happens.
    Any mail sent to it is automagically trashed. No responders, just
    trashed.

    When I post through the web based system, the addy is magically
    created and has no meaning. IOW, it's a built in spam trap.

    richard, Oct 14, 2008
  14. richard Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:35:08 -0700, wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:13:35 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    >>> come back with x.

    >>x?
    >>
    >>> Sometimes I get a error message something about not having server
    >>> privilage or something.

    >>What is the exact error message, in full?

    >Sorry! An online error occurred
    >When: Retrieving bodies for "~~ ~ "
    >Reason: connection closed unexpectedly by server
    >>
    >>> I can singly retrieve a message body and retrive group headers but not
    >>> the bodies in group. What is going on?

    >>Who is your news provider?

    >shawnews.gv.shawcable.net
    >>
    >>Are you associated with a Canadian municipality?
    >>
    >>whois james.ca
    >> Domain name: james.ca
    >> Domain status: UNAV
    >> Error code: 02001
    >> Error message: The domain name provided is reserved for
    >> the use of a Canadian municipality. Contact CIRA for more
    >> information.
    >>
    >>If that's supposed to be a munge of your email address, never use a word
    >>that can be a real domain. Use "example.invalid" instead.

    >Does the sever not like my name?

    Many services feel that the use of a valid working addy that you are
    not entitled to is abusing the servers and therefor grounds for
    termination.
    If you are not assigned to that addy, just change it to

    Several cases of extreme abuse have caused businesses to be shutdown
    because some unscrupulous spammer decided that addy was a good one to
    use. The ISP shut down the business for abuse even though another
    person was the cause. Spammers hunt newsgroups for addys. If they find
    a working one, they store it and spam.

    richard, Oct 14, 2008
  15. John Holmes Guest

    richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:04:18 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>richard wrote:

    >>> What about my addy? It ain't mine. It's valid.

    >>So it's stolen and you are simply a thief.
    >>
    >>> So you go right ahead and complain about it.

    >>You are directing spam to a domain that is not yours.
    >>Your ISP might consider this as a violation of usage terms.
    >>How long shall we wait until filing complaints at your ISP?

    > Absolutely correct butthead. As newsguy is my service, and the fact
    > that I have already asked permission to use this addy, they don't
    > care.
    > So go ahead. Send an email to it and see what happens.
    > Any mail sent to it is automagically trashed. No responders, just
    > trashed.
    >
    > When I post through the web based system, the addy is magically
    > created and has no meaning. IOW, it's a built in spam trap.

    That's very nice, richard. So nobody can contact you directly, eh? The
    email address in my headers is valid, and it belongs to me. Anyone who
    wants to can contact me directly. Oh, and I get only a few spam messages
    a year.

    ;-)

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Oct 14, 2008
  16. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Are you associated with a Canadian municipality?
    >>
    >> whois james.ca
    >> Domain name: james.ca
    >> Domain status: UNAV
    >> Error code: 02001
    >> Error message: The domain name provided is reserved for
    >> the use of a Canadian municipality. Contact CIRA for more
    >> information.
    >>
    >> If that's supposed to be a munge of your email address, never use a
    >> word that can be a real domain. Use "example.invalid" instead.

    > Why is it you always assume that a person who uses a government addy
    > isn't entitled to? Gee like maybe there is no one named james in
    > james canada? Or that can have that addy? Quit the damn griping about
    > the use of addy's unless you can show proof that the person isn't
    > entitled to it.

    Because, st00pid, james.ca is not a registered domain, but can only be
    registered by a Canadian municipality. That's according to the WHOIS
    info as shown above. Proof enough?

    Unlike you, I took the time to investigate that, including reading
    http://cira.ca/en/home.html . Why should james be responsible for
    generating spam sent to it, that mail servers have to deal with?

    > What about my addy? It ain't mine. It's valid. So you go right ahead
    > and complain about it.

    newsguy.com is your usenet service, so you go right ahead and use that.
    It's a legal address for your service.

    This goes in the "fighting spam" category.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 14, 2008
  17. wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> If that's supposed to be a munge of your email address, never use a
    >> word that can be a real domain. Use "example.invalid" instead.

    > Does the sever not like my name?

    That is not the problem. Spam is the problem.

    Harvester bots read Usenet, gathering addresses, then both sending spam
    *to* them, and *from* them. Even though 'james.ca' is an unregistered
    domain, mail servers will have to deal with the spam messages sent, and
    send bounce and reject notices back to whomever the spammer chose to
    place in the From: field. So innocent people are going to get bounces
    that say "Sorry, is an invalid address."

    That's why I said to change 'james.ca' to 'example.invalid' in your own
    From: field, because no mail server will attempt to send or relay mail
    to a top-level-domain named 'invalid.'

    http://tekrider.net/general/misctips.php#mung

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 14, 2008
  18. Mara Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:58:59 -0700, wrote:

    >This is Nuts, I can recieve the headers for you replies but now I can
    >not even singularly down load the bodies. Guess I can't even get your
    >replies now.

    Change your address by going to Options/User and System Profile/User. On that
    same page is where you put your news server info. Make sure it's correct. Note
    that I'm using the full version, so yours might differ somewhat. I don't know;
    I've never used Free Agent.

    >On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:55:52 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    >>come back with x. Sometimes I get a error message something about not
    >>having server privilage or something. I can singly retrieve a message
    >>body and retrive group headers but not the bodies in group. What is
    >>going on?

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Oct 14, 2008
  19. why? Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:42:42 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >James wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:30:56 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>James wrote:

    <snip>

    >>>What happens when you test using another server?

    >> This is the question that I have never asked how do I change a server?

    >Someone with a very old copy of Agent help this guy out, willya?
    >(He's still using 1.93.) Thanks. I wouldn't touch it with WieRdScoTTy's

    :) the Help file is still there.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 14, 2008
  20. why? Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:36:10 -0700, wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:30:56 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>James wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lately I am note able to download groups of message bodies, they all
    >>> come back with x. Sometimes I get a error message something about not
    >>> having server privilage or something. I can singly retrieve a message
    >>> body and retrive group headers but not the bodies in group. What is
    >>> going on?

    >>What happens when you test using another server?

    >This is the question that I have never asked how do I change a server?

    It should still be Options / General / Servers and Accounts however
    there aren't multiple server options before V3 at least. V4 is okay.

    If you change servers with earlier versions unless you have a backup to,

    What you can do is install Agent in a different folder, don't create
    icons, shortcuts so they don't change existing setup. Then run Agent
    from the new folder.

    You are better off testing with a different reader.

    Of course you need the new server info first :) with a different reader
    you use your existing settings to check the problem first.

    Me

    why?, Oct 14, 2008