    Olympus E-10, Olympus IS-3 DLX.
    ICQ#138329143.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/morongobill
    Bill Mcdonald, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Bill Mcdonald

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Bill Mcdonald wrote:

    > Fwiw if you post here don't use your main email address. Get a
    > hotmail,yahoo etc acct and use it.
    >
    > I say this because I use my excite account here when I post and
    > starting about a month ago I have been bombarded with 150kb
    > files allegedly from Microsoft technical support which are most likely
    > virus's or worms etc. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!
    >
    > It used to be you worried you'd be spammed with porn or herbal
    > medicines or get rich quick schemes, not anymore, at least that's my
    > experience! My lycos account which I used to give gets full of that
    > old style spam, but this new stuff is really malicious.
    >
    > Bill Mcdonald in Joshua Tree.
    > Olympus E-10, Olympus IS-3 DLX.
    > ICQ#138329143.
    > http://community.webshots.com/user/morongobill

    It's not just this group, Bill, it's ALL NGs. My ISP has internal groups
    and people are getting the same from them.

    --
    Paul. (She took his ring, took his babies)
    Not what it seems...
    Paul Heslop, Oct 2, 2003

  3. Bill Mcdonald

    Brothermark Guest

    > I say this because I use my excite account here when I post and
    > starting about a month ago I have been bombarded with 150kb
    > files allegedly from Microsoft technical support which are most likely
    > virus's or worms etc. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!

    That's just a coincidence.
    Those emails are being sent to anyone and everyone
    Brothermark, Oct 2, 2003
  4. Bill Mcdonald wrote:
    > Fwiw if you post here don't use your main email address. Get a
    > hotmail,yahoo etc acct and use it.
    >
    > I say this because I use my excite account here when I post and
    > starting about a month ago I have been bombarded with 150kb
    > files allegedly from Microsoft technical support which are most likely
    > virus's or worms etc. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!
    >
    > It used to be you worried you'd be spammed with porn or herbal
    > medicines or get rich quick schemes, not anymore, at least that's my
    > experience! My lycos account which I used to give gets full of that
    > old style spam, but this new stuff is really malicious.

    I'm a lurker here (posted once before) and as regards me, it's too late.
    I've posted with my real address and I'm getting hammered. Something
    between two to four megabytes a day (maybe more), day in and day out
    (dialup connection). I'm running an antivirus program and have set up
    OE not to open attachments and turned off the HTML thing and have
    downloaded all the Security Updates from Microsoft. My machine is clean,
    but my address is out there and I have no idea how to stop this crap.
    I've thought of contacting my ISP and changing my user name but if I do
    that, I then have to contact everyone on my address list, plus some
    subscription things I subscribe to, and I might still not be safe,
    because...if I understand how this works, if someone in my address book
    is infected, I'll just get reinfected all over again.

    PS
    --
    I've munged my address. Change offline to online to mail.
    Petter Settli, Oct 2, 2003
  5. Bill Mcdonald

    Enough Guest

    In article <3f7c3a31.2976019@localhost>,
    (Bill Mcdonald) wrote:

    > Fwiw if you post here don't use your main email address.

    WOW, U R A GENIUS! WHo would have EVER thought of that!

    --
    Enough <>
    Enough, Oct 2, 2003
  6. Bill Mcdonald

    Enough Guest

    In article <blhi0g$c8p2h$-berlin.de>,
    "Brothermark" <> wrote:

    > > I say this because I use my excite account here when I post and
    > > starting about a month ago I have been bombarded with 150kb
    > > files allegedly from Microsoft technical support which are most likely
    > > virus's or worms etc. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!

    > That's just a coincidence.
    > Those emails are being sent to anyone and everyone

    Really? Then why haven't I received a SINGLE one?

    Inquiring minds want to know!

    --
    Enough <>
    Enough, Oct 2, 2003
  7. Bill Mcdonald

    Brothermark Guest

    > > That's just a coincidence.
    > > Those emails are being sent to anyone and everyone

    > Really? Then why haven't I received a SINGLE one?
    >
    > Inquiring minds want to know!

    Maybe because your email address isn't stored in anyone's address book.
    The virus email just sent its message to any email address it could find on
    people's machines
    Brothermark, Oct 2, 2003
  8. Bill Mcdonald

    Brothermark Guest

    > > Fwiw if you post here don't use your main email address.

    > WOW, U R A GENIUS! WHo would have EVER thought of that!

    sarcasm sucks. He said "fwiw" suggesting that he already knew that what he
    was saying was not ground-breaking.
    Lay off the guy.
    Brothermark, Oct 2, 2003
  9. Bill Mcdonald

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Brothermark wrote:

    > > > That's just a coincidence.
    > > > Those emails are being sent to anyone and everyone

    > > Really? Then why haven't I received a SINGLE one?
    > >
    > > Inquiring minds want to know!

    > Maybe because your email address isn't stored in anyone's address book.
    > The virus email just sent its message to any email address it could find on
    > people's machines

    agreed

    Paul Heslop, Oct 3, 2003
  10. Bill Mcdonald

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Brothermark wrote:

    >>>That's just a coincidence.
    >>>Those emails are being sent to anyone and everyone

    >>Really? Then why haven't I received a SINGLE one?
    >>
    >>Inquiring minds want to know!

    > Maybe because your email address isn't stored in anyone's address book.
    > The virus email just sent its message to any email address it could find on
    > people's machines

    The addresses for the current Swen virus/worm attack were harvested from
    some particular newsgroups, Netscape/mozilla, for one. My wife, who
    never visits newsgroups, hasn't received a single one.
    Ron Hunter, Oct 3, 2003
  11. Bill Mcdonald

    Mars Guest

    In news:72Yeb.34480$,
    Petter Settli <> typed:
    > Bill Mcdonald wrote:
    >> Fwiw if you post here don't use your main email address. Get a
    >> hotmail,yahoo etc acct and use it.
    >>
    >> I say this because I use my excite account here when I post and
    >> starting about a month ago I have been bombarded with 150kb
    >> files allegedly from Microsoft technical support which are most
    >> likely virus's or worms etc. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!
    >>
    >> It used to be you worried you'd be spammed with porn or herbal
    >> medicines or get rich quick schemes, not anymore, at least that's my
    >> experience! My lycos account which I used to give gets full of that
    >> old style spam, but this new stuff is really malicious.

    > I'm a lurker here (posted once before) and as regards me, it's too
    > late. I've posted with my real address and I'm getting hammered.
    > Something between two to four megabytes a day (maybe more), day in
    > and day out (dialup connection). I'm running an antivirus program
    > and have set up OE not to open attachments and turned off the HTML
    > thing and have downloaded all the Security Updates from Microsoft. My
    > machine is clean, but my address is out there and I have no idea how
    > to stop this crap. I've thought of contacting my ISP and changing my
    > user name but if I do that, I then have to contact everyone on my
    > address list, plus some subscription things I subscribe to, and I
    > might still not be safe, because...if I understand how this works, if
    > someone in my address book is infected, I'll just get reinfected all
    > over again.
    >
    > PS

    You may start it all over again now but this time you could use 2 e-mail
    addresses : a permanent one for friends/family only and a second one you may
    expect to change every 6 months... also if you choose
    specify by example. This way robots will not
    reach you. Also if you expect direct answers from contributors add an
    explaination line in your signature, i.e. 'please remove ".remove.this"'
    from my address to reply, or any expression you may choose. Some of my fav.
    ones include "clothes", "rubbish" etc.
    Of course ask lycos to redirect the spammable messages to your main, private
    address.
    When (if) your address is too rotten with spam then just
    swap it for !
    Magic !
    Mars, Oct 3, 2003
  12. Bill Mcdonald

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:28:54 GMT, Enough <> wrote:

    >In article <3f7c3a31.2976019@localhost>,
    > (Bill Mcdonald) wrote:
    >
    >> Fwiw if you post here don't use your main email address.

    >WOW, U R A GENIUS! WHo would have EVER thought of that!

    This is the sort of idiotic comment that makes you little better than
    the spammers.

    Once upon a time YOU didn't know this simple bit of advice, and there
    are no doubt many more who are yet to learn it.

    Instead of being a smart arse, try to recognise when someone is being
    helpful.

    Bob T.
    Bob Thomas, Oct 3, 2003
  13. Mars wrote:
    > In news:72Yeb.34480$,
    > Petter Settli <> typed:

    <snip>

    >> I'm a lurker here (posted once before) and as regards me, it's too
    >> late. I've posted with my real address and I'm getting hammered.
    >> Something between two to four megabytes a day (maybe more), day in
    >> and day out (dialup connection). I'm running an antivirus program
    >> and have set up OE not to open attachments and turned off the HTML
    >> thing and have downloaded all the Security Updates from Microsoft. My
    >> machine is clean, but my address is out there and I have no idea how
    >> to stop this crap. I've thought of contacting my ISP and changing my
    >> user name but if I do that, I then have to contact everyone on my
    >> address list, plus some subscription things I subscribe to, and I
    >> might still not be safe, because...if I understand how this works, if
    >> someone in my address book is infected, I'll just get reinfected all
    >> over again.
    >>
    >> PS

    > You may start it all over again now but this time you could use 2
    > e-mail addresses : a permanent one for friends/family only and a
    > second one you may expect to change every 6 months... also if you
    > choose specify by
    > example. This way robots will not reach you. Also if you expect
    > direct answers from contributors add an explaination line in your
    > signature, i.e. 'please remove ".remove.this"' from my address to
    > reply, or any expression you may choose. Some of my fav. ones include
    > "clothes", "rubbish" etc.
    > Of course ask lycos to redirect the spammable messages to your main,
    > private address.
    > When (if) your address is too rotten with spam then
    > just swap it for !
    > Magic !

    To keep this mildly on-topic for this group, I've got a Coolpix 2500,
    which is limited but takes pretty good pics, working within the camera's
    limitations (I've also got a funky Panasonic that saves to floppies but
    that doesn't count). I'm learning a lot by lurking here and have decided
    not to
    buy another digital until either the prices of the better (fast lens) 5
    megapixel
    compacts drop significantly ( an
    Olympus 5050 costs the equivalent of about US 1000 here in Norway) or,
    preferably,
    the prices of DSLR's drop (the new Canon D300 with lens costs about US
    1800). In my imaginary universe, Minolta would come out with a DSLR,
    allowing me to use the lenses and 3600HS flash I've acquired for my
    700si (also have a Minolta X-700 with five primes that never gets used
    anymore) but that isn't likely to happen.

    But back to the Swen virus...I'm having trouble following you. I've got
    two e-mail accounts, my online.no account (now munged for newsgroups)
    and a Hotmail account. I only use the Hotmail account as an off hard
    disk storage area for serial numbers, registration numbers and
    passwords, so that if my computer crashes I can retrieve them later.
    Also use it if I'm out of the country and want to e-mail friends from an
    Internet cafe, (but have learned that doing that can be risky...but
    that's another story). BTW, I was in Paris a couple a month ago...what a
    city.. magnifique!

    I appreciate your response but here's the problem from my understanding:
    If I use a new e-mail account for family and friends, how do I know they
    aren't infected with Swen or something else and will propagate this
    bugger or other buggers all over again? I can't. I don't trust them to
    run clean machines. I recently had to disinfect my sister's machine. She
    has ADSL and was running it without the Service Packs and Security
    Updates and no antivirus. Same for two friends machines. They were
    clueless as to the shit that's out there. Couldn't understand what was
    happening to their machines. What about all the others in my Address
    book? Some I only contact once or twice a year. I also subscribe to a
    bunch of things...CTheory, Ryan Air.. The Fiver from the Guardian..etc,
    etc, etc. I have to notify them and change the address and so on. Then
    there are the Universities my daughter has applied to and are sending
    information to my address. I have to notify them.

    Regarding your Lycos suggestion. My understanding is that if you're
    going to munge your address, do it after the @ sign.
    Otherwise, possible crap arrives at your ISP's server, or in your
    example, Lycos.

    What do you mean when you say, "Of course ask lycos to redirect the
    spammable messages to your main,
    private address?" How does that help?

    What am I missing? Anything wrong with my sig?

    PS

    --
    Munged address. Change offline to online to mail.
    Petter Settli, Oct 4, 2003
  14. Bill Mcdonald

    Mars Guest

    In news:Cvofb.27891$,
    Petter Settli <> typed:
    > Mars wrote:
    >> In news:72Yeb.34480$,
    >> Petter Settli <> typed:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> I'm a lurker here (posted once before) and as regards me, it's too
    >>> late. I've posted with my real address and I'm getting hammered.

    > I appreciate your response but here's the problem from my
    > understanding:

    I have just seen the footer on your emails : 'Change offline to online to
    mail.' so obviously you already know what I was talking about.
    Sorry I have no solution when someone else's PC gets infected and they know
    your real address.

    as for :
    > BTW, I was in Paris a couple a
    > month ago...what a city.. magnifique!

    Reminds me of what God did after piling up all the best stuff in France.
    To be fair and please other, jalous countries, God had to populate the place
    with...
    the French people !
    Sorry for off-topic-ing again, I like this one so much !
    Mars, Oct 6, 2003
  15. Mars wrote:
    > In news:Cvofb.27891$,
    > Petter Settli <> typed:

    <snip>

    >> I appreciate your response but here's the problem from my
    >> understanding:

    Mars:

    > I have just seen the footer on your emails : 'Change offline to
    > online to mail.' so obviously you already know what I was talking
    > about.
    > Sorry I have no solution when someone else's PC gets infected and
    > they know your real address.

    I installed Mailwasher. It allows me to check my mail at the server
    befor downloading it. I can bounce/delete/blacklist spam at the server.
    It's a Godsend. If friends inadvertantly send
    me a virus, my antivirus program catches it.

    http://www.mailwasher.net/

    PS
    --
    Change offline to online to mail
    Petter Settli, Oct 6, 2003
  16. Bill Mcdonald

    Mars Guest

    In news:yqegb.35462$,
    Petter Settli <> typed:
    <snip>
    > I installed Mailwasher. It allows me to check my mail at the server
    > befor downloading it. I can bounce/delete/blacklist spam at the
    > server. It's a Godsend. If friends inadvertantly send
    > me a virus, my antivirus program catches it.
    >
    > http://www.mailwasher.net/

    I had something like that years ago but gave up because of the additional
    time needed to download messages. Most of the time I don't get unsollicited
    mail. I do at work but then the fast connection that comes with the job
    makes it easy to download and locally delete all the spam.
    Hate it though.
    Mars, Oct 6, 2003