    underneath it in the letter , it says excess usage fees apply. How can
    something be 'flat rate', and then have additional fees. It is possible that
    these letters are just very badly written.

    Rick, Sep 15, 2004

  2. Rick

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:24:01 +1200, "Rick" <>
    wrote:

    >Just received a letter saying that if I sign up to xtra, that I will get a
    >free ADSL modem.
    >The conditions are that I have to sign up for at least 6 months. The one
    >thing that does concern me, is that if I want to stop using the service, I
    >have to pay a $100 disconnection fee. From the letter it looks like this fee
    >applies, even after using the service for 6 months.
    >Is this $100 disconnection fee normal if I just sign up for jetstream
    >normally without getting the free modem? I am planning to move in the next
    >year, so it looks as though I will need to pay a disconnection fee, and then
    >a new signup fee, which sounds like a rip off.
    >Another thing that does concern me, as that xtra have a flat rate plan, but
    >underneath it in the letter , it says excess usage fees apply. How can
    >something be 'flat rate', and then have additional fees. It is possible that
    >these letters are just very badly written.

    Bluntly, I'd just stay away from Xtra altogether (ignore my headers if
    it shows I'm on Xtra jetstream, work connection). There are better
    alternatives out there less likely to try and trap their users with
    special conditions. Orcon or Paradise for example.

    Without looking at it you can guaruntee the free modem won't be worth
    the $100 disconnection fee.

    My 2 cents...

    Mr Bond, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Rick

    K T T Guest

    Rick wrote:

    > Just received a letter saying that if I sign up to xtra, that I will get a
    > free ADSL modem.
    > The conditions are that I have to sign up for at least 6 months. The one
    > thing that does concern me, is that if I want to stop using the service, I
    > have to pay a $100 disconnection fee. From the letter it looks like this fee
    > applies, even after using the service for 6 months.
    > Is this $100 disconnection fee normal if I just sign up for jetstream
    > normally without getting the free modem? I am planning to move in the next
    > year, so it looks as though I will need to pay a disconnection fee, and then
    > a new signup fee, which sounds like a rip off.
    > Another thing that does concern me, as that xtra have a flat rate plan, but
    > underneath it in the letter , it says excess usage fees apply. How can
    > something be 'flat rate', and then have additional fees. It is possible that
    > these letters are just very badly written.

    There aint no such thing as a "free" lunch.

    K T T, Sep 15, 2004