Free Access to NGs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Jul 17, 2009.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time, are
    this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related groups.

    My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.

    In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but only
    if a suitable alternative is available.

    Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides free
    access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
    others, and why?

    If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to access
    Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6) or at desktop (via a news
    feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google Groups at web level?

    Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
    munged e-mail addresses permitted?

    As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin, Jul 17, 2009

  2. Martin

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Martin Post:

    http://www.eternal-september.org/

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Jul 17, 2009

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Talk about fast!! TY!

    Only 4 minutes elapsed between my post and your reply!!

    According to Eternal September's Terms of Use (Sender Address
    The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" SHOULD be
    yours (i.e. you should be entitled to use it) and SHOULD be valid (= should
    not bounce because of invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other
    people without their consent is prohibited. For the From: address, however,
    the Top Level Domain (TLD) invalid may be used, as in
    lid. See also RFC2606 and Usenet Best Practice.), it
    APPEARS that munged From: e-mail addresses are disallowed.

    That said, sometimes there is a difference between what the Terms state and
    what people actually do.

    With regard to Eternal September, will my munged addy,
    am, be allowed or will I be required to modify it
    to lid?

    Once again, thank you for your very prompt reply!

    Martin

    Martin, Jul 17, 2009
  4. Martin

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Martin Post:
    > Talk about fast!! TY!
    >
    > Only 4 minutes elapsed between my post and your reply!!
    >
    > According to Eternal September's Terms of Use (Sender Address
    > The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" SHOULD be
    > yours (i.e. you should be entitled to use it) and SHOULD be valid (= should
    > not bounce because of invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other
    > people without their consent is prohibited. For the From: address, however,
    > the Top Level Domain (TLD) invalid may be used, as in
    > lid. See also RFC2606 and Usenet Best Practice.), it
    > APPEARS that munged From: e-mail addresses are disallowed.
    >
    > That said, sometimes there is a difference between what the Terms state and
    > what people actually do.
    >
    > With regard to Eternal September, will my munged addy,
    > am, be allowed or will I be required to modify it
    > to lid?
    >
    > Once again, thank you for your very prompt reply!
    >
    > Martin
    >

    > "OldGringo38"<> wrote in message
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
    >> Cents To The Martin Post:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time,
    >>> are
    >>> this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related groups.
    >>>
    >>> My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.
    >>>
    >>> In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but
    >>> only
    >>> if a suitable alternative is available.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides free
    >>> access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
    >>> others, and why?
    >>>
    >>> If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to
    >>> access
    >>> Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6) or at desktop (via a
    >>> news
    >>> feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google Groups at web
    >>> level?
    >>>
    >>> Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
    >>> munged e-mail addresses permitted?
    >>>
    >>> As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Martin
    >>>

    >> http://www.eternal-september.org/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Old Gringo
    >> Just West Of Nowhere
    >> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >> http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

    Good Luck

    OldGringo38, Jul 17, 2009
  5. Martin

    1PW Guest

    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    1PW, Jul 17, 2009
  6. Martin

    Sunny Guest

    "1PW" <> wrote in message
    > Martin wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time,
    >> are
    >> this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related groups.
    >>
    >> My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.
    >>
    >> In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but
    >> only
    >> if a suitable alternative is available.
    >>
    >> Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides
    >> free
    >> access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
    >> others, and why?
    >>
    >> If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to
    >> access
    >> Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6) or at desktop (via a
    >> news
    >> feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google Groups at web
    >> level?
    >>
    >> Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
    >> munged e-mail addresses permitted?
    >>
    >> As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Martin
    >>

    > http://www.eternal-september.org/

    and, for the Microsoft groups :
    msnews.microsoft.com

    Sunny, Jul 17, 2009
  7. Martin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time,
    > are this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related
    > groups.
    >
    > My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.

    It makes absolutely no sense for you to pay $10 a month to a news
    provider whose fee structure is designed for some subset of binary group
    users. I don't know why you would have made that choice.

    You can divide usenet access into groups: free and nearly free text
    providers, block binary (and text) providers, and monthly fee binary
    providers. I wouldn't put googlegroups on the list except for search.

    > In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but
    > only if a suitable alternative is available.

    Almost all text-only newsers should use free or nearly free, preferably
    from more than one provider, which is well administered. That is, have a
    free or nearly free account and have a back-up or alternative.

    > Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides

    free
    > access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
    > others, and why?

    Googlegroups is a terrible way to read and post to usenet. GG should
    only be used for usenet searches not for reading or posting usenet.
    There are also googlespecific groups which one can only read and post to
    via GG.

    > If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to
    > access Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6)

    No.

    > or at desktop
    > (via a news feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google
    > Groups at web level?

    Yes. And many other things wrong.

    > Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
    > munged e-mail addresses permitted?

    In order to GG post, you must login with a registered account, which
    registered account has to be a working email address. You cannot munge
    that login address. It is distributed to all news servers unmunged. It
    is only munged for GG users.

    > As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.

    There are a number of free news providers in addition to
    eternal-september which has already been mentioned.

    You also need to learn how to reply post to news messages. You reply
    posted by top posting which shows no trimming or context. You need to
    learn how to trim and context your reply.

    http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml # Q2: How should I use the
    quoted text and arrange it with my own text? - # Q3: Why shouldn't I
    quote the entire posting that I'm responding to?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 17, 2009
  8. No Alternative, Jul 17, 2009
  9. Martin

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:18:27 -0400, "Martin"
    <> wrote:

    >Talk about fast!! TY!
    >
    >Only 4 minutes elapsed between my post and your reply!!
    >
    >According to Eternal September's Terms of Use (Sender Address
    >The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" SHOULD be
    >yours (i.e. you should be entitled to use it) and SHOULD be valid (= should
    >not bounce because of invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other
    >people without their consent is prohibited. For the From: address, however,
    >the Top Level Domain (TLD) invalid may be used, as in
    >. See also RFC2606 and Usenet Best Practice.), it
    >APPEARS that munged From: e-mail addresses are disallowed.
    >
    >That said, sometimes there is a difference between what the Terms state and
    >what people actually do.
    >
    >With regard to Eternal September, will my munged addy,
    >, be allowed or will I be required to modify it
    >to lid?
    >
    >Once again, thank you for your very prompt reply!
    >
    >Martin

    You should try to avoid top posting.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 18, 2009
  10. Martin

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:12:20 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:
    >On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:18:27 -0400, "Martin" <>
    >wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >>With regard to Eternal September, will my munged addy,
    >>, be allowed or will I be required to modify
    >>it to lid?
    >>
    >>Once again, thank you for your very prompt reply!
    >>
    >>Martin

    > You should try to avoid top posting.

    But instead, middle post without any snippage whatsoever of either
    extraneous verbiage or previous posters' sig files.

    I see.

    <SNIP>

    Aardvark, Jul 18, 2009
  11. Martin

    john royce Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Martin wrote:
    >
    >> The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time,
    >> are this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related
    >> groups.
    >>
    >> My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.

    > It makes absolutely no sense for you to pay $10 a month to a news
    > provider whose fee structure is designed for some subset of binary group
    > users. I don't know why you would have made that choice.
    >
    > You can divide usenet access into groups: free and nearly free text
    > providers, block binary (and text) providers, and monthly fee binary
    > providers. I wouldn't put googlegroups on the list except for search.
    >
    >> In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but
    >> only if a suitable alternative is available.

    > Almost all text-only newsers should use free or nearly free, preferably
    > from more than one provider, which is well administered. That is, have a
    > free or nearly free account and have a back-up or alternative.
    >
    >> Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides

    > free
    >> access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
    >> others, and why?

    > Googlegroups is a terrible way to read and post to usenet. GG should
    > only be used for usenet searches not for reading or posting usenet.
    > There are also googlespecific groups which one can only read and post to
    > via GG.
    >
    >> If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to
    >> access Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6)

    > No.
    >
    >> or at desktop
    >> (via a news feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google
    >> Groups at web level?

    > Yes. And many other things wrong.
    >
    >> Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
    >> munged e-mail addresses permitted?

    > In order to GG post, you must login with a registered account, which
    > registered account has to be a working email address. You cannot munge
    > that login address. It is distributed to all news servers unmunged. It
    > is only munged for GG users.
    >
    >> As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.

    > There are a number of free news providers in addition to
    > eternal-september which has already been mentioned.
    >
    > You also need to learn how to reply post to news messages. You reply
    > posted by top posting which shows no trimming or context. You need to
    > learn how to trim and context your reply.
    >
    > http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml # Q2: How should I use the
    > quoted text and arrange it with my own text? - # Q3: Why shouldn't I
    > quote the entire posting that I'm responding to?
    > Mike Easter

    I know eternal-september is a good free newsgroup provider for text only
    newsgroups; but is there a free provider that anyone knows of that supplies
    binaries (pictures), please?

    john royce, Jul 18, 2009
  12. Martin

    Fog Ducker Guest

    "john royce" <> wrote
    > I know eternal-september is a good free newsgroup provider for text only
    > newsgroups; but is there a free provider that anyone knows of that
    > supplies binaries (pictures), please?

    For pics, you gotta pay . . .

    Fog Ducker, Jul 18, 2009
  13. Martin

    Fog Ducker Guest

    "john royce" <> wrote

    Fog Ducker, Jul 18, 2009
  14. Martin

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:12:20 +1000, Barry OGrady <god_free_jones>
    wrote:

    >You should try to avoid top posting.

    And you should avoid middle posting.

    Didn't I killfile you a long time ago?

    Evan Platt, Jul 18, 2009
  15. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I wish to thank those posters who took the time to reply.

    I was unaware that free access to NGs existed other than through GGs.

    Have an enjoyable Sunday.

    Martin

    Martin, Jul 19, 2009