Free..... 386 ;)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    I picked up this system a few years ago with plans on restoring it to run
    Windows 3.11 for a laugh.... however never got round to doing anything with
    it. It was known amongst my friends as "The Beast".

    Its a 386-SX25 with 4-8mb (cant remember exact amount), what looks like SCSI
    HDD (about 20mb IIRC), floppy drive (3.5") and a tape drive of some
    description.
    If these are in full working order is unknown.

    Does it work ?
    When i purchased it, yes, apart from a bung video card which has been
    "upgraded" to a full 512k ;)

    Apears to have some form of *nix on it which is having errors.

    Case is missing its top and front.
    Is same height as my full tower ATX case - and weighs about 100x as much -
    PSU is built into the case - it takes up a quarter of the case on its own.

    Only history I know about it, is that it came out of a hotels PABX room, so
    Im assuming it was a server running part of their PABX system until they
    upgraded. Original cost of a machine like this back then was probably more
    than I care to think about ;)

    Comes with AT keyboards :)

    I dont think theres much else I can say about it....you can ask, but I cant
    guarantee an answer.

    I just need it gone else it gets taken apart piece by piece and munched up
    until itll fit in a matchbox ;)

    Its in Auckland, and its def pickup only.

    XPD, Apr 4, 2005