    Saved by the Bell can have a DVD release...well, c'mon!!

    Thanks...

    Mort

    Mort and Pam Shuman, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Mort and Pam Shuman

    jayembee Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:46:55 -0400, "Mort and Pam Shuman"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone heard any news on whether they're going to release a Freaks and Geeks
    >set anytime soon? I know their was a push on their website, currently up to
    >29,000+ signatures on the online petition, to get these dvd's produced....

    From http://www.tvshowsondvd.com News Archives:

    Producer says 'March' in Variety 8/10/2003

    Paul Feig, the Supervising Producer of Freaks and Geeks, was
    discussing in Variety (free trial subscription required to view) his
    newest show (HBO's Nice Guys, described as a post-high-school
    version of F&G, but with HBO's advantage of looser censorship).

    During the interview, more came up about Freaks & Geeks, including
    a timeframe for the DVD release:

    Feig felt "Freaks and Geeks" never got its due, despite
    winning critical acclaim. However, it has gained cult
    popularity, and episodes will be released on DVD in March,
    complete with deleted scenes.

    We appreciate the news, and hope you do too. Our thanks to
    Matthew Louwren and Matt Koz for pointing us toward this
    information.

    >I really loved that show, and know that others feel the same way...and if
    >Saved by the Bell can have a DVD release...well, c'mon!!

    Well, regardless of what you may think of the relative merits of the
    two shows are, remember that SAVED BY THE BELL had a long and
    successful run on TV; FREAKS AND GEEKS didn't.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 3, 2003

  3. On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:46:55 -0400, "Mort and Pam Shuman" <> wrote:

    >Anyone heard any news on whether they're going to release a Freaks and Geeks
    >set anytime soon? I know their was a push on their website, currently up to
    >29,000+ signatures on the online petition, to get these dvd's produced....
    >
    >I really loved that show, and know that others feel the same way...and if
    >Saved by the Bell can have a DVD release...well, c'mon!!
    >
    >Thanks...
    >
    >Mort

    Last I heard, there were music issues: you pay for certain music rights, so to put the music on the
    DVD, you have to pay again. To use all the music as used in the original airings, apparently, would
    make the DVD retail at about $120. They don't want to do that, but they don't want to cut the
    music... trying to work it out is where I believe they are currently at.

    John R. Rybock, Sep 3, 2003
  4. Mort and Pam Shuman

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    John R. Rybock <> wrote:

    > Last I heard, there were music issues: you pay for certain music rights, so
    > to put the music on the
    > DVD, you have to pay again. To use all the music as used in the original
    > airings, apparently, would
    > make the DVD retail at about $120. They don't want to do that, but they don't
    > want to cut the
    > music... trying to work it out is where I believe they are currently at.

    Uhh. Everything has been worked out. They're going to keep the music and
    yes, it's gonna retail for about a $120. This is from tvshowsondvd.com:

    First of all, hello to you all. Sorry I've seemed to have disappeared
    but I've been buried in things with my movie and some other pending
    projects. I will say that my movie is finally getting released, and will
    be coming out around October 10th, released by Artisan Entertainment.
    So, that's a relief.

    But now to the matter at hand. We are VERY close to getting the DVDs
    out. A company that was started by the guys who sold Rhino want to put
    the show out and are with us that all the original music must remain
    intact. So, that's a great thing (I wouldn't release it otherwise). But
    that causes one small problem -- the DVD set is going to be a little
    more expensive than we wanted it to be. This is so we can include all
    the original music, and also so we can get the DVDs out sooner (instead
    of spending months and months doing legal work).

    The price for the DVD set will probably be around $120, which is very
    steep, I know. However, because of discount sites on the web and the
    fact that most stores like Tower and Virgin always mark down new
    releases, you'll probably be able to get it for about 80 bucks. I will
    say that we're intending to include one full disc of extras, including
    deleted scenes, bloopers, and lots of other fun things (that we're in
    the process of pulling out of all our crates and boxes now).

    So, that's what's up. I don't know any exact date for when it'll be
    coming out but I know we're all shooting for before the end of the year
    (probably in time for Christmas -- how embarrassingly convenient!).

    Just wanted to update you all and let you know that this is what's up.
    Nobody wants these DVDs out more than us, since we know how many of you
    have been waiting patiently and since, well, we just want them out there
    so that you guys can have them and so hopefully we can find even more
    people who will discover our little show.

    That's all for now. I'll update you as things progress. And please feel
    free to post any feedback you might have regarding this (just to let us
    know if it all works for you or not).

    Thanks again. It's good to talk to you all after so much time away.

    Rock on,
    Paul Feig
    --
    BL