Fraudulent Woosh advertising

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Duncan Bayne, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Duncan Bayne

    Duncan Bayne Guest

    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~dhbayne/blog/2005/03/fraudulent-woosh-advertising.html

    Fraudulent Woosh advertising

    I have a fairly broad tolerance for creative advertising. But the envelope
    I received in my mail today was beyond the pale.

    Myself & my wife have a large "No Circulars" sign on our letterbox, in an
    effort to cut down on junk mail. Any personally directed letters that
    contain advertising (usually identified by logos of companies with whom we
    have no dealings) go straight in the bin. So needless to say, we didn't
    junk the plain white envelope (no company name or logo) with no sender's
    address (except a P.O. Box number) and a label stating that it contained
    an award certificate.

    It turns out that the 'award certificate' was an advertising campaign by
    Woosh, trying to get us to sign up to their broadband internet plans. I
    called them, lodged a complaint, and had them remove us from their mailing
    lists. To their credit, they did so without demur, but also without any
    form of apology.

    You might be reading this and thinking "what a sensitive, over-reacting
    pillock."

    The fact is that Woosh tricked me, plain and simple, into receiving and
    opening their junk mail. If they thought it was even vaguely welcome, they
    wouldn't have done what they did. It'll be a cold day in hell before I
    give my money to a company that, by way of introduction, treats me in that
    fashion.

    | Duncan Bayne phone (+64) 027 2536395 email |
    | ============ icq# 115621676 msn |
    | |
    | web http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~dhbayne/ |
    | http://dotgeek.blogspot.com/ |
    | "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly |
    | is to fill the world with fools." |
    | |
    | - Herbert Spencer. |
    Duncan Bayne, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Duncan Bayne

    Enkidu Guest

    Duncan Bayne wrote:
    > http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~dhbayne/blog/2005/03/fraudulent-woosh-advertising.html
    >
    > Fraudulent Woosh advertising
    >
    > I have a fairly broad tolerance for creative advertising. But the envelope
    > I received in my mail today was beyond the pale.
    >
    > Myself & my wife have a large "No Circulars" sign on our letterbox, in an
    > effort to cut down on junk mail. Any personally directed letters that
    > contain advertising (usually identified by logos of companies with whom we
    > have no dealings) go straight in the bin. So needless to say, we didn't
    > junk the plain white envelope (no company name or logo) with no sender's
    > address (except a P.O. Box number) and a label stating that it contained
    > an award certificate.
    >
    > It turns out that the 'award certificate' was an advertising campaign by
    > Woosh, trying to get us to sign up to their broadband internet plans. I
    > called them, lodged a complaint, and had them remove us from their mailing
    > lists. To their credit, they did so without demur, but also without any
    > form of apology.
    >
    > You might be reading this and thinking "what a sensitive, over-reacting
    > pillock."
    >
    > The fact is that Woosh tricked me, plain and simple, into receiving and
    > opening their junk mail. If they thought it was even vaguely welcome, they
    > wouldn't have done what they did. It'll be a cold day in hell before I
    > give my money to a company that, by way of introduction, treats me in that
    > fashion.

    You open an unsolicited letter that promised "an award
    certificate" and then get sniffy because it contained
    advertising?

    Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Duncan Bayne

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:27:12 +1300, Duncan Bayne wrote:

    > You might be reading this and thinking "what a sensitive, over-reacting
    > pillock."
    >
    > The fact is that Woosh tricked me, plain and simple, into receiving and
    > opening their junk mail. If they thought it was even vaguely welcome, they
    > wouldn't have done what they did. It'll be a cold day in hell before I
    > give my money to a company that, by way of introduction, treats me in that
    > fashion.

    Get over it.
    Gordon, Mar 11, 2005
  4. Duncan Bayne

    Eric Guest

    Have another apple Duncan,

    I know how you feel, I just read your posting.

    Eric, Mar 11, 2005
  5. Duncan Bayne

    Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:27:12 +1300, Duncan Bayne wrote:
    >
    > > You might be reading this and thinking "what a sensitive,

    over-reacting
    > > pillock."
    > >
    > > The fact is that Woosh tricked me, plain and simple, into receiving

    and
    > > opening their junk mail. If they thought it was even vaguely

    welcome, they
    > > wouldn't have done what they did. It'll be a cold day in hell

    before I
    > > give my money to a company that, by way of introduction, treats me

    in that
    > > fashion.

    > Get over it.

    I am over it :) I'm also never giving my money to Woosh. Joel
    Spolsky actually wrote about a similar event here:

    How Many Lies Can You Find In One Direct Mail Piece?

    The biggest problem with direct mail (what we normal people call "Junk
    Mail") is that 99% of it (literally) gets thrown away unopened,
    Batesian mimicry or not. To combat this, direct mailers will do
    anything to get you to open their junk, no matter how dishonest.

    When I went to Earthlink's home page, it only took me a couple of
    clicks to find their Mission and Core Values and Beliefs. And what it
    says there is:

    We require complete honesty and integrity in everything we do.

    I didn't even have the energy to open the damn thing and see how many
    lies were on the inside. Does this mailing strike you as "completely
    honest"? Or just "business as usual?" Am I too sensitive? Should I go
    back to complaining about complaining about Bloatware?
    , Mar 11, 2005
  6. Duncan Bayne

    Duncan Bayne Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:26:02 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    > You open an unsolicited letter that promised "an award certificate" and
    > then get sniffy because it contained advertising?
    >
    > Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe!

    You'd not laugh if you'd just spent the week wrestling with Windows
    Installer and InstallShield :)

    Actually, I was rather expecting a certificate for my wife, and as the
    letter was addressed to her I didn't suspect it was junk until I opened
    it.

    Seriously though, I *do* get sniffy when a company thinks it's okay to lie
    to me in order to get me to open their junk mail. It's a really good way
    of ensuring I *never* buy their products or services.

    Duncan Bayne, Mar 12, 2005
  7. Duncan Bayne

    Rider Guest

    > http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~dhbayne/blog/2005/03/fraudulent-woosh-advertising.html
    >
    > Fraudulent Woosh advertising
    >
    > I have a fairly broad tolerance for creative advertising. But the envelope
    > I received in my mail today was beyond the pale.
    >
    > Myself & my wife have a large "No Circulars" sign on our letterbox, in an
    > effort to cut down on junk mail. Any personally directed letters that
    > contain advertising (usually identified by logos of companies with whom we
    > have no dealings) go straight in the bin. So needless to say, we didn't
    > junk the plain white envelope (no company name or logo) with no sender's
    > address (except a P.O. Box number) and a label stating that it contained
    > an award certificate.
    >
    > It turns out that the 'award certificate' was an advertising campaign by
    > Woosh, trying to get us to sign up to their broadband internet plans. I
    > called them, lodged a complaint, and had them remove us from their mailing
    > lists. To their credit, they did so without demur, but also without any
    > form of apology.
    >
    > You might be reading this and thinking "what a sensitive, over-reacting
    > pillock."

    Yep, you're right.

    Rider
    Rider, Mar 12, 2005
  8. Duncan Bayne

    Enkidu Guest

    Duncan Bayne wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:26:02 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> You open an unsolicited letter that promised "an award
    >> certificate" and then get sniffy because it contained
    >> advertising?
    >>
    >>Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe!

    > You'd not laugh if you'd just spent the week wrestling
    > with Windows Installer and InstallShield :)
    >
    > Actually, I was rather expecting a certificate for my
    > wife, and as the letter was addressed to her I didn't
    > suspect it was junk until I opened it.

    Well, admittedly if you were expecting a certificate and the
    envelope said "certificate" on it, I'd guess that you might
    be fooled into opening it. But surely, certificates are
    sometimes valuable, so I'd doubt that a legitimate
    certificate would come in an envelope with indication of the
    contents on the outside, would it?

    It would be the same as saying "steal me"!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 12, 2005
  9. Duncan Bayne

    Duncan Bayne Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:22:08 +1300, Rider wrote:
    >> You might be reading this and thinking "what a sensitive, over-reacting
    >> pillock."
    >>

    > Yep, you're right.

    So you reckon tricking customers into opening junk mail is indicative of a
    corporate culture with which you'd *want* to do business?

    Duncan Bayne, Mar 12, 2005
  10. In <> Duncan Bayne wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:22:08 +1300, Rider wrote:
    >>> You might be reading this and thinking "what a sensitive, over-
    >>> reacting pillock."
    >>>

    >> Yep, you're right.

    > So you reckon tricking customers into opening junk mail is indicative
    > of a corporate culture with which you'd *want* to do business?

    If you asked them they'd probably just blame the marketing divison, 'a
    bunch of mindless jerks who'll be the first against the wall when the
    revolution comes'.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 12, 2005
  11. Duncan Bayne

    Rider Guest

    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:22:08 +1300, Rider wrote:
    >>> You might be reading this and thinking "what a sensitive, over-reacting
    >>> pillock."
    >>>

    >> Yep, you're right.

    > So you reckon tricking customers into opening junk mail is indicative of a
    > corporate culture with which you'd *want* to do business?

    I think on the scale of things to worry about in day to day life, this is
    pretty minor.

    Infact, very very minor. So you got junk mail in a way that you think
    'duped' you ... so throw it away.

    'Nuff said.

    Rider
    Rider, Mar 12, 2005
  12. Duncan Bayne

    Morgana Guest

    Duncan Bayne wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:26:02 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >>You open an unsolicited letter that promised "an award certificate" and
    >>then get sniffy because it contained advertising?
    >>
    >>Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe!

    > You'd not laugh if you'd just spent the week wrestling with Windows
    > Installer and InstallShield :)
    >
    > Actually, I was rather expecting a certificate for my wife, and as the
    > letter was addressed to her I didn't suspect it was junk until I opened
    > it.

    You opened mail addressed to your wife?????????????
    Shame on you!
    Morgana, Mar 12, 2005
  13. Duncan Bayne

    Duncan Bayne Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:18:46 +1300, Morgana wrote:
    > You opened mail addressed to your wife?????????????
    > Shame on you!

    Whichever one of us checks the mail on a given day opens all of it.
    Except parcels - they're a special treat & reserved for my wife,
    regardless of who the official recipient is :)

    Duncan Bayne, Mar 12, 2005
  14. Duncan Bayne wrote:
    > Except parcels - they're a special treat & reserved for my wife,
    > regardless of who the official recipient is :)

    heh, your house sounds remarkably like mine :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 12, 2005