    email both companies several times to try and put a stop to it, but only get
    automated responses back. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this
    keep happening or should I just be ignoring them.
    pat, Mar 17, 2005

  2. pat

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:49:44 -0000, "pat" <>
    wrote:

    >Hope someone can help. I have recently had 2 emails from Paypal to say
    >someone is fraudulently trying to access my account. Today I have received
    >another email from ebay telling me the same thing. On investigating, I find
    >that there is a connection between Paypal and ebay. My point is this, I do
    >not and never have had an account with either of these companies. I have
    >email both companies several times to try and put a stop to it, but only get
    >automated responses back. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this
    >keep happening or should I just be ignoring them.

    They are spoofs. Ignore them.
    Evan Platt, Mar 17, 2005

  3. pat

    Barry M Guest

    Just Ignore

    Barry M, Mar 17, 2005
  4. pat

    pat Guest

    Sorry!!!! What do you mean? To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail
    address.

    pat, Mar 17, 2005
  5. pat

    wrote:

    |> Hope someone can help. I have recently had 2 emails from Paypal to say
    |> someone is fraudulently trying to access my account. Today I have received
    |> another email from ebay telling me the same thing. On investigating, I find
    |> that there is a connection between Paypal and ebay. My point is this, I do
    |> not and never have had an account with either of these companies. I have
    |> email both companies several times to try and put a stop to it, but only get
    |> automated responses back. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this
    |> keep happening or should I just be ignoring them.

    Just ignore and delete.

    Click on the link in my sig
    search the link for and read: 10. Mass identity theft

    --
    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/bots/
    , Mar 17, 2005
  6. pat

    pat Guest

    Thank you for that link. Most helpful.

    pat, Mar 17, 2005
  7. pat

    Dribbler Guest

    "pat" <> wrote in message
    > Hope someone can help. I have recently had 2 emails from Paypal to say
    > someone is fraudulently trying to access my account. Today I have received
    > another email from ebay telling me the same thing. On investigating, I

    find
    > that there is a connection between Paypal and ebay. My point is this, I do
    > not and never have had an account with either of these companies. I have
    > email both companies several times to try and put a stop to it, but only

    get
    > automated responses back. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this
    > keep happening or should I just be ignoring them.

    The following link tells you all about spoof ebay/paypal emails - straight
    from paypal themselves;
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/general/SecuritySpoof-outside
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/5z57m

    Dribbler
    Dribbler, Mar 17, 2005
  8. pat

    pat Guest

    Thank you for that. I have already reported it to Paypal web site, should I
    report it to the link you gave me too.

    pat, Mar 17, 2005
  9. pat

    Vanguard Guest

    "pat" <> wrote in message
    > Hope someone can help. I have recently had 2 emails from Paypal to say
    > someone is fraudulently trying to access my account. Today I have
    > received another email from ebay telling me the same thing. On
    > investigating, I find that there is a connection between Paypal and
    > ebay. My point is this, I do not and never have had an account with
    > either of these companies. I have email both companies several times
    > to try and put a stop to it, but only get automated responses back.
    > Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this keep happening or
    > should I just be ignoring them.

    It is called phish mail. Report it to http://www.antiphishing.org.
    This is a site for reporting phish mails and to provide blacklists that
    products can use to help users identify phish sites. It is a
    cooperative effort between Microsoft, eBay, Visa, GeoTrust, and several
    other sponsors. Also report and send the phish mail to whomever is
    being falsified; in this case, send to PayPal. Rather than just
    complain and say "Ouch", report it.

    Vanguard, Mar 17, 2005
  10. pat

    pat Guest

    Thank you for your response. I have already reported it to Paypal on both
    occasions and also to Ebay. I will now do as you suggest and report it to
    http://www.antiphishing.org.

    pat, Mar 17, 2005
  11. pat

    Joel Rubin Guest

    wrote:

    >Hope someone can help. I have recently had 2 emails from Paypal to say
    >someone is fraudulently trying to access my account. Today I have received
    >another email from ebay telling me the same thing. On investigating, I find
    >that there is a connection between Paypal and ebay. My point is this, I do
    >not and never have had an account with either of these companies. I have
    >email both companies several times to try and put a stop to it, but only get
    >automated responses back. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this
    >keep happening or should I just be ignoring them.

    I actually got a legit one today (I got a new credit card because the
    old one expired - it came from Paypal and from an IP owned by Paypal)
    but generally these are:

    Joel Rubin, Mar 18, 2005