Fraud at PC Magazine?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by GEMILA, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. GEMILA

    GEMILA Guest

    I bought Pinnacle Studio 8 (PS 8) primarely because it had received PC
    Magazine's "Editors Choice" award. The author of the article
    describing PS 8 is Jan Ozer, the same person who wrote the Visual
    Quick Start Guide for PS 8.

    Reviewers at amazon.com have rated Pinnacle Studio 8 to be 2 out of 5
    stars, the web board at pinnaclesys is full of frustrated users who
    seems to have problems from anywhere not being able to launch the
    programm to crashes after hours of work, destroing their projects.

    This makes me wonder how impartial this author was when he wrote the
    review (and possible awarded it the "Editor's Choice" award.)

    Why? As a book author it's important that you sell as many books as
    possible. If the book flops, it's over for the author. So Jan Ozer had
    very well a reason to write a glowing review, knowing it may well
    increase sales of his book.

    This situation is especially concerning, because PC Magazine is the
    leading publication for computer users and many readers rely on the
    magazine's judgement when it comes to purchasing hardware or software.

    Here's the link to the article:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1264724,00.asp or search for
    "Pinnacle Studio 8" at www.pcmag.com

    Note that this article appears to reviewing either PS 7 and/or PS8 -
    another reason to doubt PC Mag.

    The book's ISBN is 0321186532
    GEMILA, Oct 27, 2003

  2. GEMILA

    olfart Guest

    "GEMILA" <> wrote in message
    > I bought Pinnacle Studio 8 (PS 8) primarely because it had received PC
    > Magazine's "Editors Choice" award. The author of the article
    > describing PS 8 is Jan Ozer, the same person who wrote the Visual
    > Quick Start Guide for PS 8.
    >
    > Reviewers at amazon.com have rated Pinnacle Studio 8 to be 2 out of 5
    > stars, the web board at pinnaclesys is full of frustrated users who
    > seems to have problems from anywhere not being able to launch the
    > programm to crashes after hours of work, destroing their projects.
    >
    > This makes me wonder how impartial this author was when he wrote the
    > review (and possible awarded it the "Editor's Choice" award.)
    >
    > Why? As a book author it's important that you sell as many books as
    > possible. If the book flops, it's over for the author. So Jan Ozer had
    > very well a reason to write a glowing review, knowing it may well
    > increase sales of his book.
    >
    > This situation is especially concerning, because PC Magazine is the
    > leading publication for computer users and many readers rely on the
    > magazine's judgement when it comes to purchasing hardware or software.
    >

    > Here's the link to the article:
    > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1264724,00.asp or search for
    > "Pinnacle Studio 8" at www.pcmag.com
    >
    > Note that this article appears to reviewing either PS 7 and/or PS8 -
    > another reason to doubt PC Mag.
    >
    > The book's ISBN is 0321186532

    PC Mag, like any other publication, is in business to make money. The good
    reviews are generally given in exchange for some "consideration" - monetary
    or otherwise. So take their reviews with a large grain of salt. Better to
    ask in N/Gs such as this one about how good a prog really is.
    olfart, Oct 27, 2003

  3. GEMILA

    Michael-NC Guest

    PC Mag sucks big time. It's written for the average user, who knows nothing
    or very next to nothing bout how a PC works and their articles are rife with
    errors, omissions, misinformation, patronage and outright lies.

    I would suggest Maximum PC as an alternative mag and NG's as a definitive
    source on hardware and software.

    Michael-NC, Oct 27, 2003